Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can an airline do anything to my traveling partner if I skip return leg?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Last edited by Ulyssius; Dec 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:52 am

Call the airline and separate the records into two different itineraries, so yours aren't attached at all.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks. This is common? I don't have to bother with the travel agency? (Vayama)

Last edited by Ulyssius; Aug 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:30 am

I don't know much about Vayama but usually if you give the airline their own record locator they usually can split the passengers into individual locators.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:39 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Your buddy won't have any problems if you no show. Worst case, when he gets to the gate he tells them that you got sick and couldn't fly. Or that you're somewhere in the airport and he couldn't find you when it came time to board. Or that a family emergency came up and you flew back early. Or that you missed your train to the airport and might not make it. But I'd be shocked if they asked him anything.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by Ulyssius; Dec 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be incredibly rare if you don't make a habit of it, but in principle the airline could convert your RT ticket to a one way and try to get you to pay the difference in the fare.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be incredibly rare if you don't make a habit of it, but in principle the airline could convert your RT ticket to a one way and try to get you to pay the difference in the fare.
That's not going to happen, period.

Watch the original flight; if the flght time changes more than a couple of hours, you could well get a free change or a refund. It may be a good idea to separate it into two separate itineraries now to make that easier.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's not going to happen, period.

Watch the original flight; if the flght time changes more than a couple of hours, you could well get a free change or a refund. It may be a good idea to separate it into two separate itineraries now to make that easier.
Ty. Do you recommend that I call the airline and tell them I won't be able to make it the day of a few hours before? Or just no-show? A refund would of course be great, but a free change wouldn't really matter because I'll have the new return flight booked by then.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Ulyssius
Ty. Do you recommend that I call the airline and tell them I won't be able to make it the day of a few hours before? Or just no-show? A refund would of course be great, but a free change wouldn't really matter because I'll have the new return flight booked by then.
No, just don't check in. They'll know you aren't flying in time to put standby pax aboard in your place.

If they change the flight time substantially or cancel, then call and ask for a refund. It may be easier to do this if your record has deen dissociated from your friend's.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Ulyssius.

As others have noted, I wouldn't anticipate too much of an issue (aside from being on a companion certificate type flight, which this does not sound like).

We're relocating this to TravelBuzz for more FT exposure.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But I can find one-way tickets for less than $700 elsewhere.
Depending on what route this is, you may find that it's cheaper to buy an additional return ticket from your destination, and throw out the second flight. So you buy destination-home-destination but only take the first flight.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Welcome to Flyertalk Ulyssius.

As others have noted, I wouldn't anticipate too much of an issue (aside from being on a companion certificate type flight, which this does not sound like).

We're relocating this to TravelBuzz for more FT exposure.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Thanks. I don't believe he used a companion certificate ticket for me, but I think he did use, at least in part, frequent flier miles.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title was: "What do you think Jack Bauer has been doing since he left CTU?" LOL

Sorry... That wasn't helpful. I know...
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks. I don't believe he used a companion certificate ticket for me, but I think he did use, at least in part, frequent flier miles.
In that case, you may want to talk to him about this. Many airlines issue round trip awards as two one-way awards, so your return may be in effect a separate ticket. Depending on the airline and the type of award, you may be able to change your return date to one that's more to your liking, or he may be able to redeposit the miles. There can be a fee for redepositing them, but depending on the airline (again) and how many miles are involved, getting the miles back may be worth it. Even if there's nothing you can do about the miles, he may be able to get back anything he paid in taxes and fees over and above the miles if you don't take that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.