Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which would you do? One-stop C, or two stop C/F +maybe Y?

Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

I have a couple of redemption options:

Option 1: TG C BKK-NRT, NH C NRT-SEA

Advantages:

- One connection and done
- NH 787 C is certainly "nice enough" (have flown it before), TG C in same seat/diff airplane should be similar (unless I get "TG'ed" to different equipment last minute)

Disadvantages:
- Not as nice as F

Option 2: TG F BKK-NRT, NH F NRT-SFO, AS Y (separate paid ticket, possible upgrade) SFO-SEA

(No, I can't put a UA segment on it. AV redemption, needs 3 class F on all segments)

Advantage:

- Full hour massage at TG lounge in BKK
- Nicest way to fly most of the trip

Disadvantage:

- No lounge access at SFO, need to build in time for the connection (I have GE though)
- Might end up in exit row Y on the way home (upgrade isn't a sure thing unless it's paid F)
- SFO ATC flow control could strand me for a few hours
- costs a bit more in miles and $
- AS F is a come down from NH F

What would you do?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Definitely TG F & NH F. SFO-SEA in Y may be a comedown from two very nice F segments but is worth it in my book any day of the week!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Oh, absolutely TG and NH F!

Even the downsides aren't that bad: SFO is a pleasant enough airport to hang out in, including a some decent places to get a bite, a drink or a coffee in the international and domestic terminals. Plus in AS Y exit row you'll have enough room to stretch out, it's only a two hour flight, and you'll quite likely sleep through it anyway.

Does AV give you the option of tagging on the SFO-SEA F if an award seat opens up?

Regardless, enjoy the TG and NH F. You'll easily survive the Y.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Option 2. Who cares about a short hop at the end?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Definitely the F. Especially if it's on the A380 for the TG portion.

Just know there is no caviar on BKK - NRT (or at least there was when I flew NRT - BKK last year). I did get a Rimowa amenity kit though and Dom.

Does United domestic F not qualify as F for AV? If it does have you looked into routing via ORD or even IAH and then seeing if there is UA F availability?

Another option to consider is OZ F to SEA which is getting Suites for some period of time - though I don't believe TG / OZ have any F to ICN so that might not work with AV
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Does United domestic F not qualify as F for AV? If it does have you looked into routing via ORD or even IAH and then seeing if there is UA F availability?
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Does AV give you the option of tagging on the SFO-SEA F if an award seat opens up?
Nope, because UA codes their domestic F as C as far as award redemptions go, and AV requires same cabin on all segments. It's one of their delightful little quirks.

Another option to consider is OZ F to SEA which is getting Suites for some period of time - though I don't believe TG / OZ have any F to ICN so that might not work with AV
OZ is flying 2-class Smartium planes to SEA (same basic seat as TG A380 C/NH 788 C). All things being equal I'd likely pick TG/NH over TG/OZ or OZ/OZ since I'd get slanty recliners on the BKK-ICN segment, similar to flying NH out of BKK. TG and OZ's midhaul seat is OK for a daytime trip but nothing special.

And yeah, what the heck, might as well do it through SFO. I should be able to wait at SFO and do 90 minutes in exit row Y... and if things go south on the separate ticket AS will likely have my back.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 3, 2015 at 10:07 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
OZ is flying 2-class Smartium planes to SEA.
Duh it's NH that added 3 class service to SEA but I assume NH is downgraded back to the 787 for your travel dates since you mentioned 787 C in your OP
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Duh it's NH that added 3 class service to SEA but I assume NH is downgraded back to the 787 for your travel dates since you mentioned 787 C in your OP
Yeah, I haven't seen any NH F NRT-SEA on my dates. If there was any it would be an instant winner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.