Wiki Posts
Search

Long term trip, dates and destination unknown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Long term trip, dates and destination unknown

Hello,

I need some help, I am a bit confused and unable to decide what to do.

I am planning a long term trip, I only know my first destination, Playa del carmen (Cancun airport), and a date I am leaving October 15th .
I am not so sure about my next destinations as I'll decide that a few months after I arrive to Playa, one place which comes to mind is Costa Rica, but again, not sure about it.

I will travel for a long period of time, my guess is for the next 3-4 years.

I understand that a one way ticket is somehow questionable, and for me to commit to dates of my next destination is impossible at the moment.

How can I dodge this obstacle, as I understand it is pricey to make changes to dates/destinations and tickets anyways expire after 1 year.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A more important, legal, requirement that you have/can prove you will be leaving certain countries upon arrival. If you arrive on a 1 way ticket it could appear to some countries immigration staff that you intend to stay. You might want to purchase a cheap/fully refundable flight/bus/train/boat to another country.

As for your planning you're going to pay one way or another for flexible travel ideas. You may want to look into cheap throwaway tickets that get you to your destination with no intent of using the remainder but cost a lot less than a one way ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Yoshi,

Whats the best way/tool/website to find cheap fully refundable/throwaway tickets?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A lot of time and patience.
Most OTA and airline websites have options for refundable ticket searching.
For throwaway you can use sites like google flight to show range with cheapest days. It's going to take a lot of searching and possibly some libation to get you through it.
Look at LLCs that operate to/fro the country, not just the airport near you, and look for cheap tickets. I once booked a 19USD ticket when in your situation that was for a 26 minute flight across the boarder just to have proof of "intent" of leaving when I didn't know when specifically I would be. Since you're starting off in Central America I'd look at busses too. They can be real cheap so your costs will be minimized.

Originally Posted by diginom
Thanks Yoshi,

Whats the best way/tool/website to find cheap fully refundable/throwaway tickets?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:05 pm

Faking a one-way ticket reservation leaving CUN (or anywhere) is easy using expedia or similar. Google it. In any case, you will almost never be asked for it (except when checking in to ascertain visa eligibility).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.