Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-reserved seat "unavailable"???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

My fiance and I are flying via Lufthansa tomorrow afternoon, and reserved seats ahead of time. Our main concern is that we are able to sit next to each other. Honestly, I will probably cry (especially given that I will probably be both sleep-deprived and anxious) if we end up not seated next to one another.

When we went to check in today, we got this warning: "Unfortunately, the pre-reserved seat for MY NAME on the journey from Chicago O'Hare to Frankfurt is currently not available due to operational reasons." Apparently his seat is still available? I don't know.

But when I closed this alert, the page it took me to still shows our seats as being those that we originally reserved, and doesn't act as though either is unavailable. I even called Lufthansa customer service and they said it looked to them as if our seats were available and next to each other, that everything looked fine.

Do I need to select different seats for us? Or is it ok to leave the seats as is? I just don't want to be screwed when we try to board our flight and the idea of going to the trouble of pre-reserving seats and ending up NOT next to each other is making me both extremely pissed and extremely panicked. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Did you reserve special seats (extra comfort or space etc) or are other comparable seats together available for your flight? if there are other comparable seats together I would switch to them. An operational issue could mean a lot of different things - a non-functioning seat belt comes to mind. The airline will fix it in due course but perhaps not before your flight. Such operational issues are not always reflected on a seat map. It may well be fixed before your flight - but it sounds like this is a very important issue for you so better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply!

We're currently seated in a two-seat row and no other seats are available in similar rows. If I switched our seats, we'd end up in either a three-seat or five-seat row. Plus, if my seat is still showing up as available during check in, how can I be sure that any other seats I select won't end up presenting the same problem? These are the main reasons I'm a little hesitant to switch right now, but I'm definitely contemplating it.

According to checkmytrip.com, our seat assignments are "confirmed," and my boarding pass shows the seat I initially reserved. And Lufthansa customer service told me everything looks fine, too. I'm just afraid that no matter what I do, it'll end up being the wrong choice.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
At this point there's really not much to do until you get to the airport, where you can ask again at the check-in desks, and possibly plead your case. Not to sound unsympathetic, however, but check-in people have heard it all before, and they may not be able to seat you together without breaking up others. It isn't the end of the world, and people on the flight might be willing to swap.

Welcome to FT, curiouslystrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.