Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Hotel points to airlines for places I don't often stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Marriott

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but wasn't sure if I should put this in a generic forum vs. specific to a program.

I am staying at a hotel at a discounted wedding rate (IHG). There are also some other exceptions where I'd do one stay at another chain I don't normally stay at (Hyatt, Hilton).

However, I do most of my stay at Marriott, and pretty much always look mainly for Marriott....my status is there, and I have their CC.

That being said, should I opt to earn AA miles on IHG, Hilton, or Hyatt stays? I don't actively look to stay there, and only stay there if it's a wedding/event, or Marriott is sold out. My Hilton points expired last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if my Hyatt/IHG will expire. I don't think I'll ever earn enough in those programs for a stay, but I definitely will on Marriott. I use AA points.

So is there a downside to earning flight miles instead of hotel points? I am sure I'll lose some value, right? But it's better than expiration, no?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
You can transfer Hilton Points to many Airlines, including AA. Pretty bad ratio IMHO.

Details can be found on the HH website.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Even at hotels where I rarely stay (IHG being one), I still collect the native points.

My limited IHG stays have turned into a couple random HIX nights over the years...e.g., oddball scenarios where it was the only recognizable brand for many miles in any direction.

Check the IHG board for promos...the last time I needed to do a couple paid stays at IHG, I found a few stackable promotions that bumped my points up quite a bit.

Hilton is a little more difficult, but there isn't much any more at the very low end redemption-wise. Once you're Gold/Diamond and carrying their credit card, you can earn a LOT per stay, but then you need a LOT to redeem good hotels. IHG is (IMHO) much easier to crack into for the infrequent guest who doesn't yet want to commit to the credit card.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:15 pm

If you use AA miles, but don't use non-Marriott hotel points, I see no disadvantage in using non-Marriott hotel stays to earn AA miles instead of hotel points. At least you'll be getting something you know you will use!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

And not expire! Even if the transfer/earn rate is bad lol.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'm and SPG & Hyatt hotel loyalist. For anything outside I book with hotels.com going for their 10 days for 1 free reward program. Works rather well for me. Wouldn't work with a wedding rate but that's a tradeoff.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pritomd
I am staying at a hotel at a discounted wedding rate (IHG). There are also some other exceptions where I'd do one stay at another chain I don't normally stay at (Hyatt, Hilton).

However, I do most of my stay at Marriott, and pretty much always look mainly for Marriott....my status is there, and I have their CC.

That being said, should I opt to earn AA miles on IHG, Hilton, or Hyatt stays? I don't actively look to stay there, and only stay there if it's a wedding/event, or Marriott is sold out. My Hilton points expired last year, and I wouldn't be surprised if my Hyatt/IHG will expire. I don't think I'll ever earn enough in those programs for a stay, but I definitely will on Marriott. I use AA points.

So is there a downside to earning flight miles instead of hotel points? I am sure I'll lose some value, right? But it's better than expiration, no?
There are ways to keep the hotel points from expiring, if you pay attention.

Hilton has two different no-fee credit cards (one from Citi, one from Amex the bank). You can keep one of them open forever, using it once or twice a year for something small, and then your points never expire.

IHG has a credit card that has a $49 annual fee, but in return it gives a free hotel nights every year that's uncapped (unlike the Marriott card which is cat 1-5 only), so why not hold it forever too, and put at least one small purchase on it once or twice a year. Surely you can find a use for one IHG night a year at value much greater than $49? (Or, if not that, IHG has a dining program with Rewards Network, the same company that does dining programs for the airlines. You could register for that with any card that you don't regularly use for another dining program, and then use that card at a participating restaurant once or twice a year; just make sure to follow up and ensure that it posted correctly.)

Hyatt has such a small footprint (ie, it's not in very many places, and usually wherever it is there's some other chain hotel nearby), I don't see the point of staying at Hyatt occasionally. I've gotten along fine pretending Hyatt doesn't exist in all my travels. But, yes, if you do need to ever stay in a Hyatt because of the specific location, then for that one I would suggest just earning miles on the stay.

Someone above mentioned converting points to miles. That's different, and that doesn't work unless you have the minimum number of points. So IMHO if it's infrequent stays, you should either earn points and keep as points, or earn miles.

Btw, at Hilton, you can't avoiding earning points. Hilton only has the options of points + points, or points + variable miles. They have no option for earning only miles.

Finally, I just want to mention that none of these hotel programs give you either points or miles if you book with a third-party hotel-booking site. Does your discounted wedding rate qualify for earning IHG points or miles in the first place?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
IHG is going to a 12 month expiration if you don't have any account activity or any type and aren't an elite with them. So if you don't get the credit card ( keeps you platinum) you might as well go miles instead of points with that one.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Hmm well I booked my weddding rate directly with IHG (via phone) and when I check online, Points to be earned: 0 . Is it really not going to earn points? It's only $10 cheaper than the lowest rate!!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Hmm well I booked my weddding rate directly with IHG (via phone) and when I check online, Points to be earned: 0 . Is it really not going to earn points? It's only $10 cheaper than the lowest rate!!
If you have no use for the points, that sounds perfect.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Sometimes hotels will give all points to the person who arranges the event booking OR they'll offer discounted rates that don't earn points as a cost saving measure for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.