Hong Kong to NY Business Class - Cathay vs United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)

Hi - can anyone compare flying from HK to NYC in business class on Cathay Pacific vs. United? My gut says Cathay is a better experience. Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Cathay

/thread
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I think the seating will answer your question. UA uses 777-200 CX uses 777-300ER so not much different in width of plane but less seats across.

Cathay: 1-2-1
United: 2-2-2 or 2-4-2
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is better, a Bentley sitting next to Brooke Shields or an old rusty AMC Gremlin that you got from your lecherous uncle and which smells of old socks?

Last edited by LondonElite; Jul 7, 2015 at 12:58 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
In 2013, I went from ORD to Hong Kong in Business Class on United. It was the most disgusting Business Class I've ever been on. Before that all my Long Hauls Business Class trips were on USAirways which has the 1-2-1 layout but unfortunately they did not fly that route. I would avoid United.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well CX in F of course

Mmm Krug

Maybe do biz one way and spoil yourself with F for the return? That way you can try out the 2 HKG F lounges
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not to mention CX J will get you access to the myriad of OW (CX + QF) lounges at HKG which I imagine are better than any *A lounge (though I've never been in the *A lounges at HKG only CX J/F lounges)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL (Platinum), AA, CO, US, SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Silver), Hilton (Diamond)
Thanks. Sounds like a strong vote for Cathay. My only inclination to fly united is that I'm doig a status match (I have gold on delta, nothing on AA or UA) and this flight would lock me in with gold through 2016.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:34 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Without hesitation CX for its hard product and excellent service on board.

Also upon landing in Hong Kong, you can indulge in The Arrival, the Cathay Pacific lounge, if you want to eat or take a shower.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:44 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
One way or round trip?

If you ticket the CX flight as an AA codeshare, you can sign up for a Platinum challenge with AA and end the trip as AA Plat, OW sapphire, good until March 2017. Unfortunately AA doesn't let you use CX codes for the challenge.

If this is a regular route, also look at Oneworld's Circle Pacific product, $5K in J ex-HKG for a 22,000 mile ticket, $6100 for 26K miles. (HKG-JFK-SYD-HKG is just over 22K, HKG-ORD//JFK-LAX-BNE-HKG is under - you'd have to fly ORD-NYC separately.)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsfrSE
Also upon landing in Hong Kong, you can indulge in The Arrival, the Cathay Pacific lounge, if you want to eat or take a shower.
I don't think jsfrSE has been to the Arrival. You don't want to go there. It is crowded and hot. There is a nice little sitting area of, oh, 6? A bar-like area facing a wall. The whole thing cannot be bigger than 30 square meters.

I would suggest flying CX from HKG in F, so you can use the lounges, but then on your way back in J it wouldn't be as nice, and you always should ramp up the experience.
So the best plan would be to sign up for AA status match, fly JL round-trip in J, and by the end you will be AA EXP and thus able to use the F lounges at HKG anytime you fly in the future!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by ny2london
Thanks. Sounds like a strong vote for Cathay. My only inclination to fly united is that I'm doig a status match (I have gold on delta, nothing on AA or UA) and this flight would lock me in with gold through 2016.
All things being equal, CX J for both hard and soft product will be better than UA, BUT if its for a status match run, then that is a different matter maybe.....
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:42 am

Is there a significant difference in either:

1) price
2) departure/arrival times
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by farbster
Is there a significant difference in either:

1) price
2) departure/arrival times
Even so, avoid UA.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
To the OP: Follow your gut if flying from JFK and choose CX first class, yet if you want a direct flight, then UA business class from EWR is just fine. I fly to HKG quite often and the price point is always better on UA. I also enjoy upgrading to UA Global First from either ORD or SFO to HKG. Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.