Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help a newbie out! Getting to Europe on miles 1 year out.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I have been scouring these forums and cannot tell you how wonderful this community is. The quality of information is just beyond impressive. I'm hoping I can get some guidance on our first attempt at getting to Europe on miles. Here are the parameters....

1. We have traveled quite a bit during college and always on the cheapest carrier so we have miles scattered throughout most of the biggies as follows:

British Avios: 40,000
Delta: 7,385/2,287 (in two accounts)
United: 3,750/1,750 (in two accounts)
Southwest: 1,642/2,200 (in two accounts)

2. We have a Ultimate Rewards with 76,367

3. Trip needs to be June or July 2016 to coincide with Eurocup. We have set aside 3 weeks vacation so 21 days of travel.

4. We want to travel to England, France and Switzerland but are willing to fly into/out of other countries and possibly add them to the itinerary.

5. We can fly out of either Los Angeles or San Francisco.

6. We understand the problems with British Airlines fuel surcharges so we know that is a no go. We are totally open to saving those Avios for a future domestic flight (that's what we originally intended them for).

7.Willing to apply for additional credit card to gain points.

We are super grateful for any and all ideas on covering our flights with miles.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BrittNeal
I have been scouring these forums and cannot tell you how wonderful this community is. The quality of information is just beyond impressive. I'm hoping I can get some guidance on our first attempt at getting to Europe on miles. Here are the parameters....

1. We have traveled quite a bit during college and always on the cheapest carrier so we have miles scattered throughout most of the biggies as follows:

British Avios: 40,000
Delta: 7,385/2,287 (in two accounts)
United: 3,750/1,750 (in two accounts)
Southwest: 1,642/2,200 (in two accounts)

2. We have a Ultimate Rewards with 76,367

3. Trip needs to be June or July 2016 to coincide with Eurocup. We have set aside 3 weeks vacation so 21 days of travel.

4. We want to travel to England, France and Switzerland but are willing to fly into/out of other countries and possibly add them to the itinerary.

6. We understand the problems with British Airlines fuel surcharges so we know that is a no go. We are totally open to saving those Avios for a future domestic flight (that's what we originally intended them for).

7.Willing to apply for additional credit card to gain points.

We are super grateful for any and all ideas on covering our flights with miles.
if you are looking to fly coach united has 2 coach tickets lax-lhr and lax-fra on most days looking in early june right now. its 30k united miles each ticket each way and your chase ur will transfer to united. I would look at getting a united card for each of you. its 30k right now, not he beast dela as it has recently been 50k. but that 60k plus 60k from UR will get you there and back in coach on united.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Look for availability on EI's seasonal SFO-DUB nonstop, connecting to BA DUB-LON; or AB's seasonal LAX-DUS nonstop, connecting to BA DUS-LON. BA Avios can be used with no or low surcharges on all of these flights.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:48 am
Original Poster

I really like the idea of SFO to Dublin on EI and was checking into that last night.

I got confused with how to get back to the US though since we will be in Switzerland and/or France. Would our best bet be to come back on Air Berlin?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Seeing as you already have enough UR points for a UA RT ticket at the saver level, I'd concentrate on more UR points and/or United Miles, as particlemn suggested. Although I'd feel a little dirty getting the Chase United at the standard 30k bonus, especially if you're planning on getting into the credit card game for the long haul. I'd wait for the 50/55k bonus offer for that card. Do you have a business or do any online selling, have hobby income, etc? If so, you could get the current offer for the Chase Ink Plus business card for 50k UR points. With the required spend you'd have 55k and if you work the category bonuses right you could easily have over 60k by the time you hit the spend. Even if you're close, looks like you have some United miles already.

More general advice would be to get this all done sooner rather than later. I booked a first class award ticket for my wife and I last August for a flight leaving tomorrow (July 7). I started looking as soon as the schedule was released and by the time I had my ducks in a row, there was one single set of 1st or business award flights available at the saver level on any airline I had enough miles for. And that was with some date and destination flexibility.

On the other hand, economy should be easier to book at the saver level. I booked my trip to Europe last June two months earlier, in April. That was a saver level economy seat, but even then I think I only had 1 or two choices for the date range I was working with.

(I'm also a newbie...always have been and always will be. In case you're interested, you can read about my first award booking here: http://www.valuetactics.com/2015/06/...ts-redemption/ I was in a similar situation to you at the time).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I really like the idea of SFO to Dublin on EI and was checking into that last night.

I got confused with how to get back to the US though since we will be in Switzerland and/or France. Would our best bet be to come back on Air Berlin?
You could try to route through DUS on AB for the return. Or maybe purchase a flight on a low-cost carrier back to DUB. But if you do the latter:

1) Watch out for checked-baggage and other add-on fees;

2) Make sure you schedule lots of time (maybe even an overnight) to make your DUB-SFO flight. When traveling on separate tickets, you will not be protected if you miss your DUB-SFO flight because of delays or cancellation of your XXX-DUB flight!

Another possibility is a paid flight to either DUB or SNN, and then DUB/SNN-BOS on EI for only 12,500 Avios; followed by BOS-SFO on UA, if you can find "Saver" seats for 12,500 UA miles. But again, build in lots of time for the connection at BOS.

To find out who flies to DUB and SNN from the rest of Europe, Google "DUB airport wiki" and "SNN airport wiki" to find each airport's Wikipedia entry.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, you can redeem both BA Avios and UA miles for one-way awards, so you might use Avios in one direction, and UA miles in the other.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:25 pm

If you live between the two, why bother driving to one or the other? Depart from a local airport.

Originally Posted by guv1976

Of course, you can redeem both BA Avios and UA miles for one-way awards, so you might use Avios in one direction, and UA miles in the other.
However, if you can get enough UA miles for a RT then you need only award as UA permits a stopover. One could fly, for example:

SBP-LAX-LHR, stopover at LHR,
LHR-GVA/ZRH (destination/openjaw)
Switzerland to France by ground or LCC
CDG-SFO-SBP

One award plus a few CHF to get from Switzerland to France.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I'm having trouble posting. Can anyone see this?

I think I have a possible solution

1. Transfer 18,000 Unlimited Rewards to Avios
2. Transfer 56,250 Unlimited Rewards to United
3. Book SFO-DUB using 50,000 Avios and $111.25
4. Book DUB-LON using 8,000 Avios and $6.00
5. Book ZRH-SFO using 60,000 United Miles and $123.00

Anyone see any issues with this plan?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:20 pm

I'm having trouble posting. Can anyone see this?

I think I have a possible solution

1. Transfer 18,000 Unlimited Rewards to Avios
2. Transfer 56,250 Unlimited Rewards to United
3. Book SFO-DUB using 50,000 Avios and $111.25
4. Book DUB-LON using 8,000 Avios and $6.00
5. Book ZRH-SFO using 60,000 United Miles and $123.00

Anyone see any issues with this plan?
If you purchase in advance, one can get DUB-LON for EUR1.00 from FR.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Wow this is why these boards are so valuable! No idea that departing from our local airport would cost in miles as driving to one of California's main hubs.

So basically if I can round up enough Unlimited Rewards by possibly getting the Chase Ink Plus Business

This would leave me with the following plan

55,000 For Chase Ink
76,367 Existing in UR
3,750 Existing in United
Total=135,117

Currently, my dates aren't available to check. But using dates May 6-27 2016 I found the following.

BFL-DUB
ZRH-BFL
120,000 Miles $225.00

BONUS I'm 10 min from my bed when we land not 2 or 3 hours

Opinions?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question is: Will the flights you want all be available by the time you get the additional miles you need? Keep in mind that June/July TATL award availability might be tougher to find than May availability. How about checking award seats for this month and next month on united.com to see what availability looks like now for this summer?

And do you want to go to DUB on UA miles, or was there no availability into LON?

But if you can get UA miles to work out of BFL for an open jaw return and a free stopover, then yes, that is definitely the way to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.