Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award in First Class - LHR to SYD - Qantas or BA ?

Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, I'm looking at booking my first First Class flight from London Heathow to Sydney, and am hoping those with more experience could share some advice.

I'm booking through AA and can use either of their code share partners, BA or Qantas. The BA flight first leg is on A388 to Singapore and then on to Sydney flying on a 777. The Qantas flight stops at Dubai and is A380 all the way.

Am I right in thinking that a UK carrier might be better for flying out of Heathrow? I should be able to use BAs Conchord room, at least I'd hope to do as it's a BA operated flight even if booked through AA.

Does anyone have any insight or experience or the two first class offerings? Which option would you choose?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:48 pm

Take the A380 all the way with Qantas ! You won't be disappointed
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm booking through AA and can use either of their code share partners, BA or Qantas."

Why are you booking through AA?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Originally Posted by Neilo69
I'm booking through AA and can use either of their code share partners, BA or Qantas.
Why are you booking through AA?
Could be trying to use AA miles for an award flight.
We need more information
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If it's an AA award redemption, there will be hefty surcharges on BA; none on QF. And codeshares are irrelevant for AA award redemptions: you cannot book an AA award for travel under the codeshare flight number. (I'm not even sure if AA codeshares on BA's or QF's SYD-LHR service.)
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

If it's an AA award redemption, there will be hefty surcharges on BA; none on QF. And codeshares are irrelevant for AA award redemptions: you cannot book an AA award for travel under the codeshare flight number. (I'm not even sure if AA codeshares on BA's or QF's SYD-LHR service.)
Yep, I've topped up some AA points and am looking to redeem for my flight back to Aus. If I remember correctly the was around $700 surcharge on BA and $350 on Qantas, both of those seem reasonable for a flight that BA charges Ł10,500 for.

Was wondering if there's much to choose between the levels of service and cabin comfort. If I was travelling outbound I'd choose Qantas and get the benefit of their Sudney first class lounge. As I'm travelling in the operate direction thought it might be my only opportunity to check out the Concord Room, as it's only available to BA first class passengers.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't suggest making the Concorde Room a major factor in my decision. It's a decent lounge, but nothing really exceptional. To get there you have to go through the same security queue as everyone else, and your journey to the aircraft from there involves the same mini train as the 300 economy passengers. I have not tried the new QF first class, but I suspect that availability will be your biggest factor either way.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
BA F is more like business class than First. QF is much better very spacious suite and comfortable bed
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
First Class - LHR to SYD - Qantas or BA ?

the Concorde Room is not worth $350.

Not sure why you think it's better to fly a UK carrier out of the UK
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I suspect that availability will be your biggest factor either way."

Exactly.

Depending on when the OP wishes to travel, he might not have a choice between QF and BA. In fact, he might not be able to find award availability on either carrier!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For 20K more AA miles (100K vs. 80K), the OP could also fly EY F LHR-AUH-SYD -- and even stop over at AUH, if desired. And I believe that EY F includes free limo service to and from the airports.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:38 am

I would try Qantas

Originally Posted by CDKing
BA F is more like business class than First.
I agree. I just finished my second transatlantic RT BA First to watch some tennis and was again underwhelmed by their consistency and overall service. How they fail to get the little inexpensive things right amazes me. The outbound leg was almost comical for apparent lack of effort. Return leg much better this time which indicates to me that they can do it right (almost: still no hot towel, greeting by name or showing the wine bottle prior to pouring, but a big improvement overall).

That said, I do like the CCR. And although I qualify for BAEC Silver (after only 2 RT bookings!) I could not care less.

Last edited by AldoNOLA; Jul 4, 2015 at 9:39 am Reason: clarification: I have not flown Qantas
Old Jul 4, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going to fly with Qantas as suggested. Looking at various YouTube videos and their offering does look superior.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neilo69
Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going to fly with Qantas as suggested. Looking at various YouTube videos and their offering does look superior.
But does QF have First award space on the date (or date range) you want with AA miles? Also consider LHR-MEL
Many QF freq flyer's have trouble getting business/first awards, even at 353 days out. AA only has awards from 330 days out
Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Also consider LHR-MEL
LHR ==> MEL was my first choice, I live in St.Kilda, but a short hop from Sydney isn't a problem as I already make that flight most weeks.

I have a reasonably wide window on return date of about 10 days and both the BA and Qantas showed some limited availability within those dates.

All booked now with Qantas and e-ticket issued!

Thanks again for people's advice and opinions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.