Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best way to get upgraded to business class for International flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I'm a casual traveler, probably flying 4 times a year. 3 of those trips are within the USA, and one of them is international from Denver to Shanghai, China for business. The china flight is killer because I hate sitting for 14 hours.

Is there any cheap/simple way to get a business class flight on the China trip without having to pay full price for the fare? It's always an astronomical price where the difference is $800-1000 for an economy seat, and around $3500-4500 for a business class seat. I've considered buying 3 seats and just laying down across them but figured they might not allow that. I could pretty much lay flat and slightly curled and fit into 3 seats no problem.

Any advice appreciated!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryanjm
Is there any cheap/simple way to get a business class flight on the China trip without having to pay full price for the fare?
In one word: no
Some (USA) airlines offer upgrades for their own frequent flyer's with status. Even then it may mean buying a more expensive economy fare and/or miles and/or cash co payment.
If it was cheap and/or easy to upgrade we would all be doing this.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
There are less expensive ways to fly business. If you are flying United, here's what it costs: 30k miles each way plus a copay that depends on the fare class you've bought. The cheapest fares have a copay of $600. So on top of your airfare, you'd pay $1200 plus 60k miles. On United the upgrades are not guaranteed, but the miles and copay will be refunded if you aren't upgraded. The easiest upgrades are for mid-week and low season travel.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...ardTravel.aspx

To pay for the trip with miles (on UA) is 140k miles round trip for a saver award (not often available) or about twice that for a regular award.

I don't know how the other airlines work. You can go to their websites and see.

You can accumulate miles from credit card sign ups, but it's getting very tough to get these more than once.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In one word: no

If it was cheap and/or easy to upgrade we would all be doing this.
Well it's the flyertalk forums, I was hoping you all were doing this and I just needed to learn the secret

Originally Posted by manneca
There are less expensive ways to fly business. If you are flying United, here's what it costs: 30k miles each way plus a copay that depends on the fare class you've bought. The cheapest fares have a copay of $600. So on top of your airfare, you'd pay $1200 plus 60k miles. On United the upgrades are not guaranteed, but the miles and copay will be refunded if you aren't upgraded. The easiest upgrades are for mid-week and low season travel.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...ardTravel.aspx

To pay for the trip with miles (on UA) is 140k miles round trip for a saver award (not often available) or about twice that for a regular award.

I don't know how the other airlines work. You can go to their websites and see.

You can accumulate miles from credit card sign ups, but it's getting very tough to get these more than once.
Thanks, I'll try to see what I can do. I'm not against paying a reasonable upgrade fee, it's just when they want the equivalent of buying 5 economy seats that I don't see the value.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Best way is to buy business class. I have heard of airlines allowing you to buy an extra seat but not sure how they would respond to 2 extra seats. I have not had a problem sleeping on a set of 3 on lightly loaded flights. Only problem for me is i'm too tall to really get comfortable on a set of 3. For one long flight a year Id say just deal with coach like the rest of teh world
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it's the flyertalk forums, I was hoping you all were doing this and I just needed to learn the secret
Unfortunately, not on business trips. The simple secret on personal trips: Don't try to upgrade, just redeem miles for outright business (or first) class awards.

But that can be tricky on business trips, if the business is already buying your tickets, since they generally won't let you pocket the money that the economy ticket would have cost and let you substitute your own miles. (And the business can't provide its miles, it has to be your own miles.)

So while a lot of FlyerTalkers may fly to Asia in business class without spending much money, I don't know if a lot of FlyerTalkers do that on actual business trips where the company pays for the trip but only in economy class.

Btw, be aware that you can only upgrade straight from economy class to business class on airlines where there is nothing in between. But every year more Asian airlines add Premium Economy as a separate cabin between economy class and business class, and you can only upgrade one cabin up. It's only US-based airlines that implement extra-legroom seating within the economy cabin, and thus look like they'll allow (at least on certain fares) upgrades straight from economy class to business class for many years to come.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you can catch one of the periodic mileage sales at aa.com when miles go for around 2.2 cents/mile after taxes and fees, you could buy 110,000 AA miles for about $2,400 -- enough for a Business Class roundtrip between North America and China. AA's partners include CX and JL.

AA will let you put an award reservation on a free, five-day hold, so you don't have to buy the miles unless and until you have found award seats. But AA restricts mileage purchases to those who have had an AAdvantage account open for at least a certain period of time (I think it's 21 days).

If you have a qualifying Citi/AA credit card, you get a 10% rebate on award redemptions -- subject to a maximum rebate of 10,000 miles per year.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
The best way is to get your employer to pay for it.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
The best way is to get your employer to pay for it.
Not all of us are so fortunate to have employer paid J, and OP did say he is a casual flyer and not business.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I always ask at checkin. About half the time, there is some option of miles + $$ that is a lot less than buying a business class ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned strategic purchase of miles (when bonuses are happening) can help.

For example, typically 2x a year you can buy AS miles with a 40% bonus which amounts to 56k miles for $1.1k. Do that twice (aka spend $2.2k) and you have yourself a J ticket to Asia on CX, KE (with blackout dates), or AA as long as your dates are flexible and award space is available.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
Not all of us are so fortunate to have employer paid J, and OP did say he is a casual flyer and not business.
one of them is international from Denver to Shanghai, China for business.
Huh...could of sworn he said business...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
one of them is international from Denver to Shanghai, China for business.
Yes, but he did not say whether he is employed by someone else, or self-employed.

The fact that the OP contemplated purchasing three Coach seats suggests to me that he is footing the bill himself for this "business" trip.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I missed those two little words "for business".....my bad
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Yes, but he did not say whether he is employed by someone else, or self-employed.

The fact that the OP contemplated purchasing three Coach seats suggests to me that he is footing the bill himself for this "business" trip.
Well, then in that case, of course getting the boss to pay would not be the best/way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.