Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting Question in Toronto Pearson

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Connecting Question in Toronto Pearson

I am arriving in Toronto from DFW on AA. Then departing later that day on WestJet which was booked as a separate ticket (2 itineraries). I have a long wait in Toronto (8 hrs) and would like to leave the airport. A few questions...
(1) Can I check my bags straight through to my final destination (Sydney, NS) with AA even though my later legs are on a different itinerary?
(2) Assuming I can recheck my bags through to Sydney after clearing customs, can I leave the airport?
(3) If I can leave the airport, should I check in for my WestJet flight before I leave? Does it matter?

Thanks for your help... CDMC
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDMC
I am arriving in Toronto from DFW on AA. Then departing later that day on WestJet which was booked as a separate ticket (2 itineraries). I have a long wait in Toronto (8 hrs) and would like to leave the airport. A few questions...
(1) Can I check my bags straight through to my final destination (Sydney, NS) with AA even though my later legs are on a different itinerary?
(2) Assuming I can recheck my bags through to Sydney after clearing customs, can I leave the airport?
(3) If I can leave the airport, should I check in for my WestJet flight before I leave? Does it matter?

1) No, you cannot. Different airline so you will need to pick your bags up again and check them in again.

2) Yes, you can leave the airport after having checked in your bags. However, these days they have regulations that you can only check-in your bag X min. before your flight. Different airlines have different rules.

3) Doesn't matter.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Originally Posted by CDMC

1) No, you cannot. Different airline so you will need to pick your bags up again and check them in again.

2) Yes, you can leave the airport after having checked in your bags. However, these days they have regulations that you can only check-in your bag X min. before your flight. Different airlines have different rules.

3) Doesn't matter.
Different airline does not necessarily mean you can't check bags through, even on separate tickets. The question is whether there is an interline agreement. However AA has a newish policy that it will not check bags through on separate tickets except for Oneworld carriers.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Different airline does not necessarily mean you can't check bags through, even on separate tickets. The question is whether there is an interline agreement. However AA has a newish policy that it will not check bags through on separate tickets except for Oneworld carriers.
My apologies Adam. I should have been more clear by saying AA and WS are different airlines that don't share an interline agreement therefore you can't check bags through.

However, OP... with WS you can credit your miles to AA.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer

However, OP... with WS you can credit your miles to AA.
Unless youre flying to Cuba! (although yes I know he's not)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"My apologies Adam. I should have been more clear by saying AA and WS are different airlines that don't share an interline agreement therefore you can't check bags through."

Actually, I'm pretty sure that AA and WS do have an interline baggage agreement. But because WS is not a oneworld member, AA, by policy, will not through-check bags to WS when the AA and WS flights are on separate tickets.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:55 am

Too many ifs, ands, or buts hehe
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP shuld be asking whether there's luggage storage at Pearson. Also what's the window for checking bags for the flight. My guess is that Westjet will operate from a different section of the airport than the transborder flights, including AA.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 7:00 pm

I just flew from Pearson to Calgary. If I recall correctly, I could check my bags 4 hours prior to the flight with WJ.

That was for domestic. The rules may be different for international.

CK

Last edited by CKA1; Jun 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's typically four hours for USA legacy carriers, but this isn't always enforced. AFAIK it's the same for domestic and international flights. Of course, at some airports the check in counter might not be staffed four hours before departure.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that AA and WS do have an interline baggage agreement. But because WS is not a oneworld member, AA, by policy, will not through-check bags to WS when the AA and WS flights are on separate tickets.
Yes, WS and AA do have an interline baggage agreement.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Ended up storing my luggage in Pearson T3 for the day ($6 at the Luggage Store next to WestJet check-in desk).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.