Wiki Posts
Search

pls help me to figure this out!! many thanks

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

pls help me to figure this out!! many thanks

we need to go from
YVR - SFO(for 3 days) then onto new york (for 4 days) then final destination in Toronto.

what is the cheapest way of flying pls? also i have 80K miles in AA and 80K in BA and only 50K in United. is there a way i can better utilize these miles to find award seats in July? thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT is not a travel agent nor do we have a secret/magic source of cheap fares.
Try the on line travel agents kayak, google flight etc

As for award flights just put your date & route in to the UA, AA and BA ff web sites to check availibility and miles/cash needed.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You might try Avios booking on Alaska Air to get from SEA to SFO., maybe also on AA SFO -NYC.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
FT is not a travel agent nor do we have a secret/magic source of cheap fares.
Try the on line travel agents kayak, google flight etc

As for award flights just put your date & route in to the UA, AA and BA ff web sites to check availibility and miles/cash needed.
Not a very helpful reply, dude.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Not a very helpful reply, dude.
Normally I would agree, but in this instance, OP made no indication that they had done anything to figure this out on their own. Had he/she indicated that they had done some exploration, shown their initial results and then asked if anyone could come up with something better, I think they would have gotten some support.

As it is, it appears the OP is basically saying "you do all the work and report back to me". so I do understand any less than helpful replies.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

UA miles for YVR-SFO; AA, BA, or UA miles for SFO-NYC (use BA miles only if you can find a nonstop on AA SFO-JFK); BA miles for LGA/JFK-YYZ on AA, or JFK-YYZ on TAM (just 4,500 BA Avios one way in Coach).
Old May 28, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If no award availability on YVR-SFO nonstops using UA miles, consider using BA Avios for YVR-PDX-SFO/OAK/SJC on AS. Only 9,000 Avios required, but you must call the BAEC Service Center to book redemptions on AS -- it cannot be done at ba.com.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Wchchang
we need to go from
YVR - SFO(for 3 days) then onto new york (for 4 days) then final destination in Toronto.

what is the cheapest way of flying pls? also i have 80K miles in AA and 80K in BA and only 50K in United. is there a way i can better utilize these miles to find award seats in July? thanks in advance.
"We" would be how many people, exactly? That can make a big difference.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!! We (2 pax) have been trying different dates/airlines hoping to find an award ticket for July 12/13 to SFO then 15/16 to NYC then 20th to YYZ.
We are newbies so not sure how all the airlines/stopovers work. It seems like some airline only offers one stopover and some allow 2.. in this case, will i be able to do YVR-SFO-NYC-YYZ (SFO/NYC as 2 stopovers)??

sorry but we are based in asia and are newbies to all the rules/tricks in redeeming tickets..have read lots of info and kinda confused
Old May 29, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wchchang
Thanks all!! We (2 pax) have been trying different dates/airlines hoping to find an award ticket for July 12/13 to SFO then 15/16 to NYC then 20th to YYZ.
We are newbies so not sure how all the airlines/stopovers work. It seems like some airline only offers one stopover and some allow 2.. in this case, will i be able to do YVR-SFO-NYC-YYZ (SFO/NYC as 2 stopovers)??

sorry but we are based in asia and are newbies to all the rules/tricks in redeeming tickets..have read lots of info and kinda confused
Neither AA nor BA offers free stopovers; you would have to redeem for separate awards if you use their miles.

UA offers a stopover on roundtrip awards. Whether you can book YVR-SFO (stopover) - NYC (destination) - YYZ on a roundtrip (open jaw) UA award, I do not know. But even if you could, it would not save you much in terms of mileage, since BA only charges 4,500 Avios for a one-way from NYC to YYZ.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976

Neither AA nor BA offers free stopovers; you would have to redeem for separate awards if you use their miles.

UA offers a stopover on roundtrip awards. Whether you can book YVR-SFO (stopover) - NYC (destination) - YYZ on a roundtrip (open jaw) UA award, I do not know. But even if you could, it would not save you much in terms of mileage, since BA only charges 4,500 Avios for a one-way from NYC to YYZ.
Although not applicable for the OP, BA does allow stopovers for no additional miles and a minor amount of additional tax/fee, in limited situations such as through LHR and a couple of other points.

Having priced a similar routing before, UA would likely price out at additional miles for the OP's itinerary. The OP should play around on the UA website to see and/or call in with UA to check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.