Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Flying to Asia in November - Multi Destination

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Help! Flying to Asia in November - Multi Destination

I have an upcoming trip to Asia in November December and I'll be flying in a and out of different airports. I've never had to plan such a complex trip before and I know there are SO many choices when flying to internationally.

The Details - I'm a Delta Gold member (i'd love to rack up some miles from this trip but my #1 preference is to have a pleasurable flight experience since we'll be spending a lot oftime on the plane.

We leave from Miami and need to get to Singapore and then will be taking a cruise which ends in Hong Kong and we'll be flying from HK to New York for a wedding on the weekend of December 5th.

I'm basically lost on where to start and how to maximize my value by either getting the best possible flying experience, going the cheapest route, or going the route that will help me most toward my status.

Thanks so much for the advice!

-Matt
Old May 27, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: SQ
So you want to use miles or pay cash?

Others may disagree, but to me paying for a cheap ticket to Asia and crediting it to Delta is a big mistake. Sure you'll get Medallion Qualifying Miles, but you'll get very few miles that you can use. Even crediting the flights to Alaska will give you more miles than with Delta (unless you pay a lot).

I would imagine that you can use google.com/flights and do a simple multi-city search for MIA-SIN/HKG-NYC. I plugged in some random dates in November -December and for about $1000 for the flights in economy on United.

Air France was about $1500 and would give you some miles on Delta if the Saturday upgrades mean that much to you
Old May 28, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

I'll look into that

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
So you want to use miles or pay cash?

Others may disagree, but to me paying for a cheap ticket to Asia and crediting it to Delta is a big mistake. Sure you'll get Medallion Qualifying Miles, but you'll get very few miles that you can use. Even crediting the flights to Alaska will give you more miles than with Delta (unless you pay a lot).

I would imagine that you can use google.com/flights and do a simple multi-city search for MIA-SIN/HKG-NYC. I plugged in some random dates in November -December and for about $1000 for the flights in economy on United.

Air France was about $1500 and would give you some miles on Delta if the Saturday upgrades mean that much to you

I saw some similar options - definitely possible on cathay pacific and Singapore airline which I hear are both nice. ^
Old May 28, 2015, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the OP uses DL, it's not unreasonable to use this trip to rack up a lot of status miles, but OP should be sure to understand (1) other status requirements, such as MQDs or $25,000 spend on DL AmEx cards, in addition to (not instead of) status miles (2) limited earnings on some partners; in particular, KE flights with KE flight numbers earn absolutely NO status miles on DL regardless of the fare class.

The obvious routing would be MIA-ATL-NRT-SIN. For the return, IIRC HKG-SEA is the only option on DL, which would then be followed by the SEA-JFK nonstop or connections through MSP or DTW for example.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:29 am

Given OP is possibly a novice in Asia, and the priority is to have a good experience with a "we" so someone who you want to enjoy the trip with, I'd give Singapore, Cathay, JAL/EVA, or Korean a shot. Obviously the miles part of it is a different ball game, but I much more enjoy those carriers personally and you might be surprised.

I've heard Delta has improved it's product, and I haven't checked fares for you. So you could definitely do that. But I'd look into a oneway Miami to Singapore, and for return a HKG-NYC ticket. You could even go Delta one way to earn some miles, then try Cathay on the nonstop to New York for example.

Anyway, many options from those two big Asian hubs. And you will have no trouble navigating them. Have fun.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by maverick17
Given OP is possibly a novice in Asia, and the priority is to have a good experience with a "we" so someone who you want to enjoy the trip with, I'd give Singapore, Cathay, JAL/EVA, or Korean a shot. Obviously the miles part of it is a different ball game, but I much more enjoy those carriers personally and you might be surprised.

I've heard Delta has improved it's product, and I haven't checked fares for you. So you could definitely do that. But I'd look into a oneway Miami to Singapore, and for return a HKG-NYC ticket. You could even go Delta one way to earn some miles, then try Cathay on the nonstop to New York for example.

Anyway, many options from those two big Asian hubs. And you will have no trouble navigating them. Have fun.
I don't like this plan for the OP for several reasons. One way tickets paid with money (not award tickets) will be very expensive. For people who aren't experienced international travelers, dealing with a variety of Asian carriers during IROPs would be a big pain.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:02 pm

Well I like my plan for OP very much lol. But since you disagree, I looked at tickets. Don't know exact dates for departure, but it's maybe a few hundred more for two one ways. Not more than the Air France suggestion above. OP didn't mention cost as a limiting factor, as I pointed out he's trying to enjoy the experience.

Also he might be new to Asia and Open Jaws, but he's DL Gold so he's flown a decent amount. IRROPS on Cathay versus Delta? I'd take Cathay, Singapore or Korean any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

But it's true, the Delta plan is simpler. I'm just offering another option. To each his own.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't like this plan for the OP for several reasons. One way tickets paid with money (not award tickets) will be very expensive. For people who aren't experienced international travelers, dealing with a variety of Asian carriers during IROPs would be a big pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.