Old May 26, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

International to domestic Connection in DTW

So here is my situation. I will be flying the following route:

KUL-ICN-DTW-LAN

KUL-ICN on Korean Air
ICN-DTW on Delta
DTW-LAN on Endeavor Air DBA Delta connection

My question being firstly what happens to my checked bags? In my past experience flying to the states I had the checked straight through but I had to collect them, go through CBP and drop them at the gate (This is in ORD BTW). How does it work in DTW?

Also I have a nearly 6hr layover in DTW is there any thing to do there?
Old May 26, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
When you land DTW you will go through customs and immigration and collect your checked luggage. You will then give your bags back to Delta for the domestic flight (in the same area - you don't have to carry them very far). You will then go through TSA and enter the airport.

You will arrive on the A concourse and (likely) depart from the B or C concourse. The two concourses are connected by an underground moving sidewalk with interesting lighting and sounds.

With such a long layover you will have plenty of time to wander. If you have access to the Skyclubs there are several in DTW. There is some shopping and a couple of decent restaurants. The A concourse is big and airy - but DTW is not like a large Asian airport with movie theaters etc.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...DTW+connection
Old May 26, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
When you land DTW you will go through customs and immigration and collect your checked luggage. You will then give your bags back to Delta for the domestic flight (in the same area - you don't have to carry them very far). You will then go through TSA and enter the airport.

You will arrive on the A concourse and (likely) depart from the B or C concourse. The two concourses are connected by an underground moving sidewalk with interesting lighting and sounds.

With such a long layover you will have plenty of time to wander. If you have access to the Skyclubs there are several in DTW. There is some shopping and a couple of decent restaurants. The A concourse is big and airy - but DTW is not like a large Asian airport with movie theaters etc.
This isn't quite accurate. Here's the sequence: (KE should check your bags through to final destination when you check in or drop bags at the counter of your first airport, assuming that everything is on one ticket.)

Immigration, with all USA citizens being sent to machines. The machines have customs questions about what you're bringing and CBP staff might ask you customs questions.

Pick up any checked bags.

Go through customs as you exit the baggage claim area.

Re-check any checked bags that are tagged for your final destination. (Look for DL staff who will probably be barking where you deposit the checked bags.

Go through TSA security and enter airside part of the terminal in the middle of concourse A.

Check monitors for gate assignments. Many DeltaConnection flights depart from the B/C concourse, which requires use of the underground tunnel located roughly straight ahead of there you enter into the airside part of the terminal.

DL has nice lounges (SkyClubs) at DTW if you're eligible. The big one in the center of A has showers.

DTW has generally good restaurants (including a wine bar) and airport shops. There is a nice fountain at the center of A (near the entrance to the tunnel), an overhead train that goes back and forth in A, and a special sound and light show in the "psychedelic" tunnel between A and B/C. It's generally a well designed and pleasant new airport.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since this query is off-topic for the info desk and a link to a thread in a more appropriate forum has been provided by a helpful member, this thread is now closed. (Please see the Read Before Posting announcement at the top of this forum for more detailed guidance.)

Good luck, and safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.