Wiki Posts
Search

Itinerary Planning Help

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Post Itinerary Planning Help

Hey everyone,

I am a newbie here at FT. I have not travelled international much. Have only done BLR-MRU-BLR and BLR-SIN-BLR before on EK and SQ. My wife has done 2 BLR-SFO-BLR trips on LH before. As you can see the booking for the trips were pretty straight forward.

We are planning a Scandinavian countries trip during 18th - 31st Dec 2015. The idea is to cover Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo. Basically BLR-CPH (2days stay), CPH-HEL (2 days stay), HEL-ARN (5days stay, we want to travel further north to try to see the northern lights haven't decided yet), ARN-OSL (2 days stay) and then OSL-BLR back.

Now we do not have any specific airline loyalty yet though we both are comfortable as above on EK and LH.

So far individually searching on airline sites and/or travel sites, the BLR-CPH and OSL-BLR trips looks to be better suited on EK or LH. We don't mind either. The rest of the internal scandinavia trips looks better on SAS.

So what approach do you suggest I should take? Should we book on LH and SAS (that makes it all *A)? My wife will have couple of US bound official trips next few months that she needs to go via LH only (company policy) so her miles (whatever it will add up) will go to Miles and More. While I have couple of company trips booked to the Middle East via EK (again company policy) and my miles get credited to Skywards. I am so confused and really have no clue. I want to try it out myself with help so that I can gradually get used to this. We are planning couple of personal trips next year.

The hotels we have almost finalised (not booked obviously) as we are using our corporate discounts on the hotel chains, Starwood then Hilton or else Club Carlson.

So any suggestions. Anyone has any one world alliance ideas?

If this is the wrong thread of I should give some more info please let me know.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Hi all. I solved my issue I booked BA tickets for BLR-ARN and HEL-BLR. Rest of the trips within Sweden/Denmark/Norway/Finland, we are using Eurail or the cruises. Thanks everyone.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by boomboomb
Hi all. I solved my issue I booked BA tickets for BLR-ARN and HEL-BLR. Rest of the trips within Sweden/Denmark/Norway/Finland, we are using Eurail or the cruises. Thanks everyone.
I think you might do better than buying from Eurail, though. They tend to only offer top price, never discount.

Two resources:

1) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/european-rail-travel-654

2) The Man in Seat Sixty-One

We found using the rail system was just the ticket. Many railroads in Europe use yield management techniques, just like the airlines: buying tickets a month out often reveals lower fares than buying close to the day of travel. Nice scenery, downtown to downtown with no security queues and hassles...

Check Scandic hotels and see if your corporate discount applies; they're nearly ubiquitous, offer decent prices (for Scandinavia) and very nice Scandinavian breakfasts.

As to airline programmes, it seems Miles and More and Skywards might fill your requirements best.

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.