Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! with first award ticket

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

HELP! with first award ticket

Hello all,

following is the travel information JFK-DXB (stop over) DXB-CMB(stop over) CMB-BKK(stop over) BKK-ORD

I have already made the reservations. Please note we this is for 2 passengers and 1 infant (<2 years). Also our home town airport is BUF. I just want to have some expert opinions on if I did it right or not.

So following is what I have done.

JFK-DXB
---------
Emirates F class two tickets and planning to purchase a lap child ticket $1800+ (do not want to bust valuable miles for baby )

DXB-CMB
-----------
Emirates free connection D class

CMB-BKK
----------
Planning to buy 2 economy tickets and lap child ticket $500

BKK-ORD
----------
Cathay D class 3 tickets including baby.

Connections to JFK from BUF and in return from ORD-BUF will cost another $500. Is there anyway I could reduce this cost by using a award? I still have AA miles and United miles.

Am I busting way too many points?

Appreciate any insight
Old May 6, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since you are starting from Western New York, did you consider flying YYZ-DXB instead of JFK-DXB?

CMB-BKK on CX or UL would cost 15,000 AA miles on way in Coach, per person.

If you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios (or Amex MR, Chase UR, or SPG points), 4,500 BA Avios per person would get you a one-way on AA from ORD to BUF or ROC or YYZ.

Last edited by guv1976; May 6, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 8:09 am

I think it is hard to tell if you did it right without knowing exactly what you did. How did you get award tickets on Emirates?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
I think it is hard to tell if you did it right without knowing exactly what you did. How did you get award tickets on Emirates?
Sorry I am not sure how that is valid for my question. I am asking did I use those miles wisely regardless of how I obtained them or I should have use it in a different way?
Old May 7, 2015, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Since you are starting from Western New York, did you consider flying YYZ-DXB instead of JFK-DXB?

CMB-BKK on CX or UL would cost 15,000 AA miles on way in Coach, per person.

If you have -- or can get -- some BA Avios (or Amex MR, Chase UR, or SPG points), 4,500 BA Avios per person would get you a one-way on AA from ORD to BUF or ROC or YYZ.
Guv. Thanks. Let me check that. I did JFK to DXB to get the A380. So I can transfer UR to avios?

Last edited by woow14610; May 7, 2015 at 5:55 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by woow14610
Guv. Thanks. Let me check that. I did JFK to DXB to get the A380. So I can transfer UR to avios?
Yes, UR transfer to Avios, 1:1, instantaneously
Old May 7, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think he means etihad*
Old May 8, 2015, 7:49 am

You ask if you are using too many points, but then you don't say what points you are using. I believe you can get on Emirates using Alaska points or Korean and I'm sure they have different values etc.

Sorry I am not sure how that is valid for my question. I am asking did I use those miles wisely regardless of how I obtained them or I should have use it in a different way?
Old May 9, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Different reward programs have different rules. Can't give you proper advise without more info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.