Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which hotel loyalty program for upgrades with corporate rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Hi all!

Does anyone know which hotel loyalty program allows upgrades using points from paid stays at corporate rates? I know Hyatt doesn't (needs to be at a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate) and I seem to be getting various opinions from Hilton and Marriott on their policies.

I work at a major bank and we have corporate rates at most of the chains, so I'm just trying to figure out which one I should be accumulating points with. Thanks much for any help!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wouldn't this depend on what kind of agreement your employer has with each hotel chain? It would seem easier to me to call each of these and simply ask.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by benku
Hi all!

Does anyone know which hotel loyalty program allows upgrades using points from paid stays at corporate rates? I know Hyatt doesn't (needs to be at a minimum of the Hyatt Daily Rate) and I seem to be getting various opinions from Hilton and Marriott on their policies.

I work at a major bank and we have corporate rates at most of the chains, so I'm just trying to figure out which one I should be accumulating points with. Thanks much for any help!

Upgrades using points are also generally a terrible value. You're better off getting a hotel credit card that includes elite status.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, benku.

Many hotel programs don't allow the use of points to upgrade on paid rates at all. So before you worry about corporate rates, find out if a hotel program allows upgrades with points on any paid rates. If a hotel program doesn't allow upgrading any paid stays with points points (and I'm not aware of either Hilton or Marriott allowing that), then whether it does so on corporate rates or not is irrelevant.

Most hotel programs only do upgrades based on elite status, not with points. So if you're not going to have (enough) elite status (for getting upgrades), then whether they allow upgrades on corporate rates is also going to be irrelevant to you.

So if you are only talking about upgrades with points, you can narrow your search to the very few hotel programs that support doing that. The only one I can think of (besides your mention of Hyatt) is SPG. According to this thread in the SPG forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ng-points.html

it seems that at some hotels upgrading on a corp rate might be possible, but it depends on specifics like the exact hotel and maybe even your exact dates, as well as you exact rate. (So it might work for some stays and not for other stays?)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 26, 2015 at 9:54 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, benku.

Many hotel programs don't allow the use of points to upgrade on paid rates at all. So before you worry about corporate rates, find out if a hotel program allows upgrades with points on any paid rates. If a hotel program doesn't allow upgrading any paid stays with points points (and I'm not aware of either Hilton or Marriott allowing that), then whether it does so on corporate rates or not is irrelevant.

Most hotel programs only do upgrades based on elite status, not with points. So if you're not going to have (enough) elite status (for getting upgrades), then whether they allow upgrades on corporate rates is also going to be irrelevant to you.

So if you are only talking about upgrades with points, you can narrow your search to the very few hotel programs that support doing that. The only one I can think of (besides your mention of Hyatt) is SPG. According to this thread in the SPG forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ng-points.html

it seems that at some hotels upgrading on a corp rate might be possible, but it depends on specifics like the exact hotel and maybe even your exact dates, as well as you exact rate. (So it might work for some stays and not for other stays?)
Hilton also often offers upgrades for points.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Hilton also often offers upgrades for points.
On paid rates? What's the process? I've never heard of that, and I hang out in the Hilton HHonors forum.

I know all about the upgrade options when booking a hotel with points, where you can get a "premium" room for even more points. But that's when you're booking the hotel with points already. I've never seen an upgrade with points option when booking a hotel on paid rates. (Of course, when I'm booking paid rates, I'm usually using MVP discount rates, and I don't know if that matters.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
On paid rates? What's the process? I've never heard of that, and I hang out in the Hilton HHonors forum.

I know all about the upgrade options when booking a hotel with points, where you can get a "premium" room for even more points. But that's when you're booking the hotel with points already. I've never seen an upgrade with points option when booking a hotel on paid rates. (Of course, when I'm booking paid rates, I'm usually using MVP discount rates, and I don't know if that matters.)
At booking (and after booking), I am frequently offered the opportunity to guarantee an upgrade for a stupid amount of points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.