credit card / airline for chicago - india 1st class trips

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG P50, Hyatt D, Hilton D, AA P, Marriot G, Hz-PC, National EC
Question credit card / airline for chicago - india 1st class trips

Ok, so I am in need of some advice from the experts -

I have 2 or 3 first class trips coming up [Chicago to Chennai (India)], and I am wondering if I should sign up for a new cc and ff program to maximize my miles earning potential.

And there will also be multiple chicago-boston/atlanta flights and hertz rentals.

At present I have Barclaycard world arrival+ card & Barclaycard American Air aviator red card

I am looking to open another one. I am trying to figure out which card/program i should go for that would be best for earning miles from my India trip, and using them towards a vacation in eastern Europe or Caribbean on flights or hotel.

Thanks,
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
credit card / airline for chicago - india 1st class trips

what airlines are you flying? did you already purchase the tickets?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam1222
what airlines are you flying? did you already purchase the tickets?
thanks,

Haven't purchased tickets yet. Wanted to get my ffp/ cc in order before i did.
Flying chicago - Chennai, India.

Airline - flexible, provided I am not choosing the most expensive ones
Quick kayak scan suggests: Qatar, Lufthansa, AirIndia, Etihad...
Although Etihad doesnt allow miles transfer to partner airlines on this route.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1389
Airline - flexible, provided I am not choosing the most expensive ones
Quick kayak scan suggests: Qatar, Lufthansa, AirIndia, Etihad...
Although Etihad doesn’t allow miles transfer to partner airlines on this route.
Cheap and earning maximum ff miles are likely to be self excluding /opposite
USA based airline ffp’s are far more generous (earn/burn/awards cost) than non USA based ffp’s
Qatar and Etihad are ff partners of AA (and others), subject to a fare bucket that earns miles.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
From ORD, your best choices are either AA or UA, so you will just need to do your homework to make sure that you pick the one that best matches your needs.

I would probably choose UA/Star Alliance over any other FFP because of their availability of flights to pretty much any location you want to go on vacation. There are better airlines out there, but in the past 3 years I've been to 50+ countries all on Star Alliance. I tried to switch last year but the other major programs couldn't take me to the places I want to go, so I remain loyal to SA.

You could do Air India, which will likely be a cheaper ticket than the others but will count towards your Star Alliance miles. (Sign up for FFP through United) I've flown in biz class from ORD to DEL on Air India and found it to be comfortable and as long as you like Indian food, you'll enjoy what they serve. I especially like how they give you PJ's to sleep in.

Of course Lufthansa would also give you miles towards Star Alliance, but unless you find a deal, is likely to cost more than Air India. I have only flown Lufthansa to Europe but find them to be very good but a touch more boring than Air India, though with a better on time record last I checked.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burbuja0512
..You could do Air India, which will likely be a cheaper ticket than the others but will count towards your Star Alliance miles. (Sign up for FFP through United) ..
There is no such thing as Star Alliance miles. Each airline freq flyer program has its own miles/points, earned from its alliance and non alliance airline partners and other sources. Airline ffp's vary a lot.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
There is no such thing as Star Alliance miles. Each airline freq flyer program has its own miles/points, earned from its alliance and non alliance airline partners and other sources. Airline ffp's vary a lot.
..Which is why I said sign up through United. Air India and Lufthansa are Star Alliance, and their miles count towards United.

I figured this was a given, but suppose I should have spelled it out a little clearer for those who have no experience with this.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Look into the Chase Sapphire card. There are always good sign-up bonuses, all travel charges (including airline, hotel, restaurant) earn 2x, and the points are transferable to UA, BA, WN, and VS airline programs and to Hyatt, IHG, Marriott and Ritz Carlton hotel programs.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:52 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Look into the Chase Sapphire card. There are always good sign-up bonuses, all travel charges (including airline, hotel, restaurant) earn 2x, and the points are transferable to UA, BA, WN, and VS airline programs and to Hyatt, IHG, Marriott and Ritz Carlton hotel programs.
Thanks,
I am trying to decide between that and amex premier gold. Amex has 3x on flights (and 50K targetted bonus) but sapphire preferred beats it in hotel bonus, and maybe even selection of travel partners.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:53 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.