Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines will let me check in a 55" LED TV?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium

My brother is traveling from BOS-BLR.

We have not purchased the tickets yet. We need to figure out which airline will let him check-in a 55" LED TV. Dimensions are: 54.3" x 31.9" x 6.5". Weight is 56 LBS. Travel class will be J/F

Ticket options are:
BOS-LHR-BLR (BA)
BOS-JFK-AUH-BLR (AA/EY)
BOS-JFK-DOH-BLR (AA/QR)
BOS-JFK-HKG-BLR (AA/CX/KA)
BOS-FRA-BLR (LH)
BOS-EWR-BOM-BLR (UA/AI)

I have posted this here to avoid posting similar posts in multiple forums.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Is there some exorbitant duty on TVs in India that would prevent you from just buying one there? I suspect it will cost more to ship it than it is worth. The damn things are cheap these days...
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And will it even work in India?
Voltage and/or TV frequency?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for looking at the post and replying. Here is the answer to queries asked:
I ain't worried about duties etc. as he is going after working here for a few years and duties are much less in those cases (returning to India after working abroad). The TV is a 55" 4k Samsung. He probably won't get more than 500$ by selling the 2000 $ TV and will have to buy a new one in India anyway. This way if he has to pay say 200-300$ for large bag fee, that should be OK.

Voltage / Frequency is ok too.

Any suggestion about airlines which would let him check in the TV as checked baggage?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
But it's not a $2000 TV, it's a $600 TV these days, new, at least in the US.

And if the screen cracks being shipped as luggage, it is worth less than nothing, since you probably have to pay someone to dispose of it.

I'm just trying to point out that it will be a huge PITA to ship, especially if you end up paying more for airfare to use an airline with more lenient baggage policies.

YMMV
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 am

Here are some links to threads that may provide more information. I included 9W, even though they are not included in your list of possible itineraries.

LH Forum, from 2013 - Can I checkin a 32inch TV with Lufthansa from SFO to BLR

BA Forum, from 2012 - A 46" TV in CW

9W Forum, from 2012 - Jet Airways check in baggage rules ? Anything specific for TV's ?

EK Forum, from 2012 - Check-in LED TV from US?

Getting a TV to India - Customs Question

The best and most accurate way to find out maximum dimensions and cost is to call the airlines.

Last edited by scottpenderson; Apr 21, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I would certainly do some research on broadcast and video standards in USA and India to be sure of broadcast signal compatibility as well as airline size and weight issues. Perhaps a look at air freight costs on the same flights (in the "old days", we had "counter air freight") as well.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:11 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
OT: Theres a reason why Mustafa Centre in Singapore has so many TVs on stock and the queues at the Tiger/Jetstar check-in counters are full with Indian nationals checking in oversized electronics.
I once met a chap in the queue who told me that he was given cash and a electronic goods shopping list by his boss to shop in Singapore. He stayed only one night in Singapore. The way it works is that whatever they can "reason" with the check in staff and NOT pay as excess luggage, they get to keep for themselves.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this isn't specific for the Information Desk, we'll try this thread in TravelBuzz as it fits several different carriers.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
(...)
I'm just trying to point out that it will be a huge PITA to ship, especially if you end up paying more for airfare to use an airline with more lenient baggage policies.
This.

And if the screen cracks being shipped as luggage, it is worth less than nothing, since you probably have to pay someone to dispose of it.
I do not think this would be a problem at all for this specific destination.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:47 am

There are times when the way to get the best information is to skip boards like this and contact the airlines directly. Use an internet board and at best you'll wind up with posts which don't answer your question. At worse you'll get information which is old and outdated.

The current selling price of a 55" Samsung LED 4K TV set is around $1500, not $500. I don't think India as a fee to dispose of e-waste. People are asking about voltage after OP already said voltage is OK. AFAIK PAL vs NTSC is a non-issue with digital.

I'm assuming you have the original box. Check with the airlines. Find out what it would cost to ship as excess baggage. Find out what it would cost to send as air freight. Do you have access to a discounted FEDX account? Find out what it would cost to send as freight.

That said I sort of agree with the PP. Assume you can sell the unit for $500. Assume shipping cost is at least $200. Will a $700 TV set, purchased at your destination, be "good enough"? or Is the 4K quality worth the hassle?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Along with the rest of this, you should check on the duty you might have to pay shipping in brand new electronics.

I'd have a reliable company ship it for you rather than check it as luggage. I suspect the airlines who would accept it as luggage would charge you a high fee because of the odd size and then not cover damage. UA, for example, lists " Computer hardware/software and electronic components/equipment" as items that are excluded from coverage if damaged.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewisc
That said I sort of agree with the PP. Assume you can sell the unit for $500. Assume shipping cost is at least $200. Will a $700 TV set, purchased at your destination, be "good enough"? or Is the 4K quality worth the hassle?
4K quality for TV's is a myth. There's almost no movies, videos, etc, made for 4k. Most of it is just upscaled. The non-4k sets typically have the best picture quality.

Do they not sell TV"s in India?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

YMMV
If the screen cracks during airline handling of the box, the airline will be liable for the damage to the checked luggage. The relevant Montreal Convention doesn't grant airlines a waiver for not paying damages for mishandled electronics which the airline checked in. Contract of carriage provisions claiming to exclude coverage for damage or loss of checked in electronics are invalid when it comes to transport covered by the Montreal Convention. The DOT has informed the U.S. airlines about this kind of thing too.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by lewisc
Use an internet board and at best you'll wind up with posts which don't answer your question. At worse you'll get information which is old and outdated.
And the posts will focus on whether you should do it, rather than how.

It's some years ago now, but I needed to bring a large 4 foot by 3 foot portrait home on VS and they did it free of charge - and I was in economy, but not using much of my baggage allowance.

I do suspect that, if flying J with only one bag, they'd look favorably on something like a large box. However, the liability issues could scupper the deal - however well you pack it, it will have very poor torsional rigidity - translation, however well it's handled, the screen is likely to crack. This applies whether or not it's in the original packaging, as that's palletized for shipping, thus increasing its rigidity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.