Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What program should I transfer my AMEX MR points to before cancelling? LGA/JFK/EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What program should I transfer my AMEX MR points to before cancelling? LGA/JFK/EWR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I will not be renewing my AMEX PRG upon my anniversary.

I have around 75k MR points and plan to use these for 2 RT tickets to somewhere warm by the end of 2015. Realistically probably somewhere in the caribbean.

Can anyone advise which program I should transfer these points to?

I have no loyalty or preference to any air lines. I am ok with coach. I will be leaving from EWR/LGA/JFK.

Would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks,

Last edited by bones718; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:34 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bones718
Hello all,

I have around 75k MR points and plan to use these for 2 RT tickets to somewhere warm by the end of 2015. Realistically probably somewhere in the caribbean.

I have no loyalty or preference to any air lines. I will be leaving from EWR/LGA/JFK.

Thanks,
BA would likely be the cheapest, but pending AA availability of course. There's no knowing which is best, as all 3 alliances could get you NYC-Caribbean at a good mileage price. It all comes down to which has availability you want. Look into opening an Everyday (free) / Everyday Preferred ($95 annual fee) card to keep your points alive.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Hello all,

I have no loyalty or preference to any air lines. I am ok with coach. I will be leaving from EWR/LGA/JFK.

Thanks,
How soon can you commit to a particular destination and particular dates? ANA's reward chart (which is currently very good for Coach travel on UA between NYC and the Caribbean) will be changing on April 12.

BA Avios are very good for nonstop travel on AA from JFK to the Caribbean, but AA only serves a small number of Caribbean destinations with nonstops from JFK.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
BA would likely be the cheapest, but pending AA availability of course. There's no knowing which is best, as all 3 alliances could get you NYC-Caribbean at a good mileage price. It all comes down to which has availability you want. Look into opening an Everyday (free) / Everyday Preferred ($95 annual fee) card to keep your points alive.
I didn't know everyday cards had the same MR system as the charge cards.

Thanks for sharing. I will check it out.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

So I see consensus is avios so far. No I do not have particular dates set in stone yet. I will be planning probably at least 2 months before intended flight date before end of 2015

Thanks

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

How soon can you commit to a particular destination and particular dates? ANA's reward chart (which is currently very good for Coach travel on UA between NYC and the Caribbean) will be changing on April 12.

BA Avios are very good for nonstop travel on AA from JFK to the Caribbean, but AA only serves a small number of Caribbean destinations with nonstops from JFK.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I see consensus is avios so far. No I do not have particular dates set in stone yet. I will be planning probably at least 2 months before intended flight date before end of 2015

Thanks

If you Google "JFK airport wiki", you can see a list of all Caribbean destinations which AA serves nonstop from JFK. If your trip requires connecting flights, you would have to pay additional Avios.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Better yet, check the innosked interactive oneworld map and timetable. It will reveal American Airlines and U.S. Airways (still operating separately despite the merger, probably for the rest of 2015.

http://onw.innosked.com/
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

thank you all
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Amex Everyday Credit card (no annual fee) is currently offering a 10,000 MR bonus and 1 year free Amazon Prime. I have it and an Amex charge card and the points go into 1 linked account.

You say you plan on flying 2 months after planning using an award ticket? Well, I too like to live dangerously
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:27 am

I am New York based as well.

I think the best recommendation is to open up an AMEX Everyday card as has already been said. From the moment you get charged the AF you have 30 days to cancel the card to get the refund, so you should have time to receive the card and link it to your account.

I am actually really down on Avios. I have been looking for AA out of JFK to the Caribbean (same as you) and the availability is pretty crappy for what AA offers. Puerto Rico, Saint Thomas, and Bermuda have not so good availability. Antigua is wide open if you want to go there, but from things I have read it's not as attractive as the other islands.

Would you consider transferring to JetBlue? They pretty much specialize on the Caribbean market and you never have to worry about availability. You won't get the same bang for your points though.

One major caveat for Caribbean travel is that almost all of those countries gouge you in taxes on the way back. The above mentioned JFK-ANU will cost like $98 per person in taxes. IIRC it's even more from the Dominican Republic.

If you are dead set on Avios, I think a smart option would be to look into departing from PHL via US Airways. They have more flights available there and more availability. I got a good PHL-MBJ flight last year for fourth of July .
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

BA Avios were/are great except when the AA/US multi-tier pricing hits and blocks BA redemption opportunities on AA metal -- and this is becoming a growing problem.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

BA Avios were/are great except when the AA/US multi-tier pricing hits and blocks BA redemption opportunities on AA metal -- and this is becoming a growing problem.
Multi-tier pricing only applies to AA's AAnytime award seats, which have never been available for Avios redemptions. Avios can be redeemed for any available MileSAAver seat to the Caribbean, regardless of whether travel occurs during AA's "peak" or "off-peak" season.

Whether one can find SAAver award seats to the desired destination on the desired date of travel is always an issue, of course.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
[

Multi-tier pricing only applies to AA's AAnytime award seats, which have never been available for Avios redemptions. Avios can be redeemed for any available MileSAAver seat to the Caribbean, regardless of whether travel occurs during AA's "peak" or "off-peak" season.

Whether one can find SAAver award seats to the desired destination on the desired date of travel is always an issue, of course.
The AA transition from two-tier award pricing to multi-tier award pricing (with even AAnytime awards now having tiered pricing) has wiped out a lot of the award space that was previously available to BA Avios users. That wiped-out space being MileSAAver space, the only kind of AA space available to the average BA Avios user.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.