Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What if my passport is stolen?

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold

What if, for instance, I'm flying from the US to China with my passport and Chinese Visa, and during the flight, while I'm sleeping, someone steals it out of the overhead bin. What would happen to me?

-Technically UA did their job by making sure I was eligible to enter China before boarding, although with no passport, I wouldn't be eligible to enter China. Would I have to pay the fee charged by the government for being turned away?
-If I get sent home, I wouldn't be eligible to enter the US because I don't have a passport. What would happen then?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by 1353513636
What if, for instance, I'm flying from the US to China with my passport and Chinese Visa, and during the flight, while I'm sleeping, someone steals it out of the overhead bin. What would happen to me?

-Technically UA did their job by making sure I was eligible to enter China before boarding, although with no passport, I wouldn't be eligible to enter China. Would I have to pay the fee charged by the government for being turned away?
-If I get sent home, I wouldn't be eligible to enter the US because I don't have a passport. What would happen then?
I'm sure you would be able to enter the US as a US citizen with some photo ID (a driver's license) or some other proof.

Why would you keep your passport in the overhead bin? I've never had anything stolen from me in the overhead bins, but I always keep my passport on me at all times.

Has anyone had things stolen from them in the overhead bins?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I imagine Chinese Immigration would not be amused at all and you would be on the airlines next plane back and no doubt they would in turn likely come after you for the expenses. Though they would be obligated to get you out of there regardless of the future disposition of the bill for the debacle.

US Immigration would play you a game of 20 questions for entry to the US. Assuming you can convincingly pass yourself off as who you say you are to a fairly astute observer it's all good and you would be back in the US with relatively minor hassles. In any case as a US Citizen you have an absolute right to enter your country. The absolute worst US Immigration could do is hassle and detain you but they absolutely HAVE to let you in.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
We keep a picture of ours when we travel on our smart phone. But best is not to put it in overhead bin if that's your worry. Put it in your pocket or some other place nobody can get to it with out you knowing.
We delete it when we get home.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Starting point is that your passport should never leave you. Not in the OH, seatback or other obvious place.

2. As a USN you cannot lawfully be denied entry to the US. It may take longer, but you will not be denied, once your identity can be verified.

3. Whether Chinese authorities would permit you to await a passport replacing document from the consulate is an open question.

4. If you had the proper docs at boarding, the carrier's responsibility is over. But, that is only about who pays for repatriating you to the US: the government or the carrier. Either way, one of them comes after you for the cost and, if your passport was stolen, this becomes an issue for your insurance.

All comes back to the fact that a US passport has extraordinary value in many countries.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Years ago (probably on FT) I saw a tip to scan your passport (and presumably China visa) and email it to yourself. That way you can pull up and print out the image via any device that can access your email.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by bosman
Years ago (probably on FT) I saw a tip to scan your passport (and presumably China visa) and email it to yourself. That way you can pull up and print out the image via any device that can access your email.
I always carry several xerox copies of my passport in different locations whenever I travel out of the country - my suitcase, my computer bag, folded in my wallet.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
A pilot friend who flies long haul for a major airline says theft from overhead bins is actually VERY common
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I always keep my passport securely with me while on a flight and especially if I'm liable to fall asleep. Theft from overheads and even from underseat does happen.

If despite that, I did have my passport stolen enroute, though, my first action would be to ask for the police when we're arriving so I could try and file a police report. Whether that would be of any help in getting into the country I'm arriving at, I don't know - and may well depend on the country. But at the very least it wouldn't hurt to do so.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I always keep all my IDs on me, in a money belt or whatever. I also have copies of my passport as well. Nothing important goes into the overhead bin.

Even when I travel domestically, I have a second official ID with me so that I can board my return flight home
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Similar thing happened to me on a flight LON-DUB a few things back on Ryanair. Was flying with friends and we made quick dashes to grab whatever seats we could. They got better ones and I moved. Pretty sure I just left it in the seat pocket. Didn't realize it until I was at customs in DUB and couldn't find my passport. They wouldn't let me go back to the plane to get it. Somehow I convinced the agent that my passport would be waiting for me at the lost/found at baggage claim. He let me through, it wasn't there, and I had to go to the US embassy to get a replacement(unfortunately happened on a Friday so I had to wait until monday). No idea what would've happened if he didn't let me in as sending me back to London wouldn't have solved anything.

Something tells me this would not have ended in the same way in China and in 2015.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636

You get dumped out over International waters.

Seems like a good reason to not leave your passport in the overhead.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by JerryFF
I always carry several xerox copies of my passport in different locations whenever I travel out of the country - my suitcase, my computer bag, folded in my wallet.
We each have scans of our passports in our email accounts as well as a photocopy and trip itinerary in a Ziplock in each suitcase (even though they are rollaboards, you never know when you'll be forced to gate-check). Even if we get separated or lose a bag or something gets stolen, we can find each other and get our passports replaced.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The airline will check if you have the visa or meet TWOV criteria. But if "your passport gets stolen on the plane", it's entirely possibly the authorities will give you grief. Eventually, the U.S. Consular Service will get you repatriated or issue you a passport - both hassles.

Protect your passport - in a fast enable pocket, in a plastic bag to prevent water / wine damage, and never in the overhead compartment. Passengers have been known to steal, and flight attendants as well - 2010, Air France FA on NRT red eyes was caught; last year, an American Airlines FA was caught.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As this is clearly not an award program or site guidance query, the thread is off topic for this forum and has been closed.

If OP is not satisfied with the replies received thus far, s/he might want to search for discussions in the dedicated China destination forum and/or the Practical Travel Safety/Security forum and/or the TravelBuzz forum.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.