Wiki Posts
Search

Would you risk the flight? Tight connection at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Would you risk the flight? Tight connection at JFK

Hey guys,

My flight from Turkey ( with Turkish airlines ) is planned to arrive JFK at 04:50 PM . I need to be transferred to Charlotte. When i checked JFK to CLT flights i freaked out.

Because the latest departure was at 06:30 PM(There is a 07:30 PM flight too but 1 stop and very expensive) . When i checked flights from Laguardia, the latest one was at 07:50 PM . I will take the taxi to get to Laguardia.

So, here my options:

1- 06:30 PM JFK - CLT Non stop $125
2- 07:30 PM JFK - CLT 1 stop $325
3- 07:50 PM LGA - CLT Non stop $125

I am a Turkish citizen. I am not sure how long all the procedure will take for me in JFK . I will need to get my checked baggages as well.

Do you think any of these options are doable? I don't want to to sleep on a bench waiting for the next day...

Thanks .
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:12 am

You need other plans. That TK flight is often late.

I suggest you book a hotel near JFK and take the first flight to CLT the next morning.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
And you're probably arriving around the TATL rush-hour time, resulting in queue, taxiing, maybe waiting for a free gate to park (happened to me, 1h just waiting for a 747 to pull back) and then you'll be stuck with immigrations. Don't worry about your luggage, it will be accessible before you can even claim it. ;-)

Plus, taxi to LGA between 5-7pm can also take quite an hour.
So you should definitely go for that hotel option.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Forget it. Those connections are way too tight. You may as well book your next day flight and overnight hotel now, as you will get a much better deal in advance.

If you book any of these connections, then miss it and find yourself stranded, you will be charged a fortune for a last-minute hotel, and another fortune in flight-change fees.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Davie, thanks for the chart. It was helpful. Cvision, thanks.

Horrible news. I guess i will have to spend the night in the airport.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Querorz
Davie, thanks for the chart. It was helpful. Cvision, thanks.

Horrible news. I guess i will have to spend the night in the airport.
Hotels are not all that expensive if you book in advance. You will certainly find one for less than the extra $200 you would spend on the expensive connection. This would save a lot of worry and stress.

By the way, there is also a shuttle bus from JFK to LGA - it costs about $12 if I remember right. Certainly a lot cheaper than a taxi and very easy if you give yourself enough time.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would this be one ticket or two? What USA airline? Do you have any airline/alliance status?

If separate tickets are involved, I would pick a flight for the next day. If it's a single ticket/itinerary, you might want to take the risk with the expectation that you will be rebooked for free but need to pay for your own hotel. You could then take #1 if it's a legal connection, especially if #2 is likely to have seats available.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I will take one of 06:30 flights. So i don't think i will want to stay in a hotel. Not worth it.

Unfortunately my tickets are not single connected ones. I don't think i should risk that.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Querorz, welcome to FT!

I think you may be misunderstanding the advice that MSPeconomist is giving you. If you were booked on one ticket, which you clearly aren't, and you miss the connecting flight, you will be protected on a later flight (possibly the next day but not necessarily) to CLT. On separate tickets, if you miss the second flight (it's not a connecting flight since they are separate bookings) it's up to you to find an alternative. The airline is not under any obligation to get you to CLT and you'll end up buying a new ticket, which will be much more expensive.

You don't say what airline you are flying to get to CLT, so you may have to change terminals at JFK. The 1830 flight will board at +/- 1755, meaning you have 65 minutes from scheduled touchdown of TK1 to get to your next gate. From memory, this is a big 777, so if you are in the economy section, there will be at least 75 people ahead of you disembarking. You then have to go through customs at a peak arrival time for JFK which can easily take an hour. (Point of reference: I was the number three person off my international flight in to Houston a few days ago, but a BA flight had just dumped 300 people ahead of us. Immigration took 70 minutes and we made our connection, 2:15 hours, just in time.)

There is no way I would buy a separate ticket for the 1830 flight, because your chance of making it is nearly zero. If TK1 is on time, me guess is that the best you could hope for is that boarding starts just as you reach the immigration desks. You'd then have to buy a new ticket and possibly stay in a hotel anyway. Why bother with the stress?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 pm

I think OP means he will sleep overnight in JFK and fly out at 6:30 a.m. the next day.

Here's a guide to sleeping in JFK: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/newyorkjfk.htm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Have you considered taking a bus from NY to Charlotte,it takes abouth 10 hrs and is probably more comfortable than staying at the airport all night,cost abouth 60 USD,the bus would be less comfortable than a Turkish long distance bus (that is a modern Turkish bus,not a bus in the east),but I would think it would be better than staying in the airport.There are numerous buses.As others said, your conection is totaly unrealistic. Due to the time difference you might even be able to nap for part of the time.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by geirfugl
Have you considered taking a bus from NY to Charlotte,it takes abouth 10 hrs and is probably more comfortable than staying at the airport all night,cost abouth 60 USD,the bus would be less comfortable than a Turkish long distance bus (that is a modern Turkish bus,not a bus in the east),but I would think it would be better than staying in the airport.There are numerous buses.As others said, your conection is totaly unrealistic. Due to the time difference you might even be able to nap for part of the time.
I think that is an excellent idea. Maybe worth checking Amtrak schedules too?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by geirfugl
Getting from Kennedy to the bus would make this a longer trip and significantly more arduous.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Either the Amtrak or bus alternatives would require OP to transfer from JFK to midtown Manhattan during rush hour. While I don't fancy spending the night at JFK, I would certainly prefer that to public transport to Manhattan + overnight bus/train with various changes enroute.

Before OP gives up on spending the night at JFK (or LGA), he should so some research. If the alternative is sleeping in the terminal, there are hotel alternatives which are pretty cheap when prepaid and booked in advance (with the risk that OP's flight is cancelled and he does not use the room at all).
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Since your question specifically concerns a JFK connection, this thread will likely do better here in the dedicated NYC forum.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.