Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Lie Flat Seats (US east coast to Caribbean)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning a honeymoon to the Caribbean in early October this year. Are there any airlines that offer a lie flat business or first product from the US east coast?

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Unfortunately, JetBlue's Mint service from JFK to AUA and BGI will be seasonal, and won't operate until November.

You might find internationally-configured 757's with angled lie-flat seats in Business Class from JFK to certain Caribbean destinations, but aircraft type is not guaranteed, and last-minute substitutions of other aircraft types is possible.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
These flights are so short it's not really worth it.

Lie flat seats are particularly useful for overnight ocean transits, possibly long daytime flights. Save your time and effort for the destination, not a 3 - 4 hour daytime flight, IMO.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JDiver
These flights are so short it's not really worth it.
Quite right -- by the time you get through a meal service, it's only another 90 minutes or so, and you're there. Not enough time for meaningful rest, which explains why there's virtually no lie-flat product on such a short flight anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:39 am

AA operate a 763 to PAP seasonally from JFK, but that may not be the honeymoon destination you had in mind .
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I believe AA under the US banner (depending on whether the planes have been painted or not) has historically flown A330s to SJU from CLT and PHL but not sure if that continues to be the case as the merger progresses
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:04 pm

I fly this route multiple times a year and it's really not worth paying for lie flat or any business class since the flights are so short.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
You could probably find some AA fare that would allow routing JFK-LAX-MIA-XXX, you would have 12 hours in lie-flat followed by 1-3 hours MIA-XXX.

Seriously, pick the destination and then worry about the flights. The destination and hotel choice have a huge impact, hopefully a week or more of your time will be shaped by those choices. As long as the destination is served by 'big' planes as opposed to RJs or props, the flight won't be long enough to worry about, a few hours.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you want to / are able to get to Cuba as travel restrictions are eased, Air China is allegedly starting a Fifth Freedom flight in September from YUL - HAV with a 77W as a tag to the end of their PEK - YUL flight.

Grab some sort of *A miles and I bet you could find award availability in F and J for that which features their newest F and J products

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.