Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Camera purchase - best way to

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Camera purchase - best way to

I'm in the market to spend more money then I care to for a new camera.
I need a bit of assistance.
The camera is purchasable (pre-orderable) at the normal places: B&H, Adorama...

I'm trying to find the best way to purchase this:
1) I've been looking for gift cards - no luck
2) I've looked at portals (only one so far) and it's not panning out as I hoped.

So my question is:
Where can I get the biggest bang for my buck in making this sizable purchase.

Jam
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:54 pm

I'm trying to do the same. Amazon has the new Canon's for pre-order. Comes with a $50 credit for use on a limited group of accessories. Currently shopping for the best place to buy Amazon gift cards - thinking grocery store for me.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Use an Amex for warranty, and use the best portal you can find (Befrugal for Adorama?). Not worth giving up the extra year of Amex warranty for an extra % here or there. 5% vs 1%/1 MR per $, then maybe worth considering.

People may say "sign up for a new card and get xx,000 miles for your purchase" but that makes no sense unless you couldn't achieve the sign up spend with your regular spend pattern AND you're averse to MS. What's the camera cost? $1000? It costs $12 at most to MS that, so just put large purchases on the best card you have and MS when necessary.

Last edited by dukerau; Mar 27, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm considering - not sure if it's doAble but I'm thinking I would buy Amazon gift cards with my Chase 5x points card at Staples. Add the gift cards to my amazon account and purchase that way.

camera will cost about $4,000.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by jamboree
I'm considering - not sure if it's doAble but I'm thinking I would buy Amazon gift cards with my Chase 5x points card at Staples. Add the gift cards to my amazon account and purchase that way.

camera will cost about $4,000.
No purchase protection when you buy with GCs. As others have said, it's not really worth it to give up the purchase protection/extended warranty from AMEX. 20K UR points would be nice, but I wouldn't do it, personally.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - I never really thought about that. I'll have to read into what the purchase protection / extended warranty offers me.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jamboree
Thanks - I never really thought about that. I'll have to read into what the purchase protection / extended warranty offers me.
Most aftermarket "extended protection" plans are a bit dodgy, IMO. AMEX extends the OEM warranty terms a year, iirc, and can include theft or breakage protection for a time as well. Though for a camera and lenses of this price level, I'd recommend a floater policy in your homeowners insurance policy if you're not a professional.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:55 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Whatever method you choose, I suggest doing it in a state without sales tax (where I live the tax is 8.5%). Maybe Delaware or Oregon.

I delayed purchases of a MacBook Air and Sony RX100M3 since I knew I would soon be traveling to Anchorage and the price on both items was the same everywhere.

Just a thought.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Chase Ink 5X Amazin....load from OD...

Ship and have Fed X hold it, no sales Tax state in your travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.