Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Russia
Reload this Page >

Flying from NY JFK to AMS with layover in Moscow svo.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

My question is this, I am going to be taking my first international voyage overseas to Amsterdam in April from New York JFK. My layover is in Moscow SVO which is roughly over 2 hours. My first part of the long voyeage is the JFK-SVO on a Aeroflot plane. Now, once in Moscow. I make the switch to another terminal. I was noticing on my intenenary that from Moscow to Amsterdam, My second flight is a Aeroflot code but is operated by KLM airlines. So the question is, does my luggage get automatically switch from the aeroflot plane to the KLM jet. Also, do i have to go to the different check in counters at JFK to obtain the tickets or does aeroflot do all that for me since they are partnered by skyteam and delta airlines. Sorry for the long reads, but I just need to know. Thanks alot, much appriciated.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sev1991
My question is this, I am going to be taking my first international voyage overseas to Amsterdam in April from New York JFK. My layover is in Moscow SVO which is roughly over 2 hours. My first part of the long voyeage is the JFK-SVO on a Aeroflot plane. Now, once in Moscow. I make the switch to another terminal. I was noticing on my intenenary that from Moscow to Amsterdam, My second flight is a Aeroflot code but is operated by KLM airlines. So the question is, does my luggage get automatically switch from the aeroflot plane to the KLM jet. Also, do i have to go to the different check in counters at JFK to obtain the tickets or does aeroflot do all that for me since they are partnered by skyteam and delta airlines. Sorry for the long reads, but I just need to know. Thanks alot, much appriciated.
Your ticketing will be through Aeroflot since they sold it.

I'm not sure about the luggage situation, but I flew JFK-PEK through SVO before on Aeroflot and it was interlined/through-checked.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't need to worry about your luggage, but you may need to look into the visa situation, depending on what passport you travel on. Was this just a crazy-cheap fare or a desire to fly Aeroflot? The routing JFK-SVO-AMS is very convoluted and there is plenty of NYC-AMS traffic.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
You don't need to worry about your luggage, but you may need to look into the visa situation, depending on what passport you travel on. Was this just a crazy-cheap fare or a desire to fly Aeroflot? The routing JFK-SVO-AMS is very convoluted and there is plenty of NYC-AMS traffic.
I agree. It's an especially strange choice for an inexperienced international traveler.

Depending on your degree of risk aversion, you might want to consider getting a Russian visa even if it isn't required. Doing so would make things easier and more pleasant if delays or cancellations force you to spend the night in Moscow. You may need a visa anyway because you are changing terminals at SVO.

If you have all flights on a single ticket, you can check your luggage through to AMS. Aeroflot and KLM interline and, in addition, they're partners as both are members of the SkyTeam alliance. When you check in at JFK, Aeroflot should be able to give you the KLM boarding pass also; ask if they don't. Otherwise you must get it at SVO by looking for a transfer desk when you land.

BTW, have you planned which (SkyTeam) FF program to use to credit these miles?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
"Depending on your degree of risk aversion, you might want to consider getting a Russian visa even if it isn't required. Doing so would make things easier and more pleasant if delays or cancellations force you to spend the night in Moscow. You may need a visa anyway because you are changing terminals at SVO." From previous poster.

Even though you are changing terminals in SVO, you will NOT need a visa, they are interconnected. You will go through security but not passport control anywhere.

Last edited by dh01; Mar 5, 2015 at 2:58 am Reason: clarification
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Although your initial question specifically pertains to Aeroflot interline policies, your post has been moved the Russia destination forum since there seem to be other SVO transit-related issues to consider.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well London, only reason why I went with this fair is because for me was the best opportunity of price to fly to Amsterdam. & I have the money on me at the time to pay for the tickets. I know it's above and beyond a little extreme to travel all the way from New York to Moscow. guess I got caught up in the excitement. oh well, life goes on. besides I could get to see what Europe is like when I fly over it lol.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:31 pm

Actually if you need to sleep before getting to AMS, that routing makes perfect sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.