Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Which Miles to Use?

Which Miles to Use?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Which Miles to Use?

I have an upcoming 8/9 night trip to Japan (and possibly Korea) in the spring, and am wondering which miles I should use. I am not sure where I should post this, but this forum seems about right.

First, my mileage levels (all miles excluding what it would take to fly home):
350k Alaska Miles
305k Aeroplan Miles
150k Singapore Miles
300k AA Miles - This is where I currently earn my miles and should earn ~125k per year

I am currently flying LAX-NRT on SQ F and that is done since a) it is SQ and b) it is the best time for me

What I cannot decide on is the return, as I am lucky to have a few different options:
1) ICN-DXB-LAX EK F - On the plus side, this is EK F on the A380 the whole way through. Additionally, it seems like EK redemptions on AS are getting more difficult, so I should be happy. Plus, if I do not use the miles here, it seems like the most likely would be AF C to Europe or Africa, which is not great (although the times work out well for me), or potentially a CX F award, but less likely. On the other hand, it is a long flight and I would leave 1 night early, so essentially cut 15-20 hours off of my trip

2) KIX-LAX JL C - On the plus side, I have and will continue to earn AA miles
, so I do not feel the need to get the most value since I will have more to burn in the future. Plus, I feel like AA is due for a devaluation, so would be good to get a redemption in. On the negative side, it is business class.

3) Either ICN-LAX OZ F or NRT-SEA-LAX NH F/UA C. The plus side here is relatively direct routing in F and I have never flown on OZ before. I am hesitant because I find that Aeroplan has pretty good award availability (F on Asiana particularly), and would leave me with enough miles to go basically anywhere on Star Alliance, especially since we would like to go to Africa next year and I am finding bookings on TK and SA pretty easy. So hesitant to give up that future optionality.

4) ICN-SFO-LAX SQ F - This I am probably least enthusiastic out of the 4. I am already flying this to NRT and I will be flying this route later as part of BOM-SIN-ICN-SFO over new years so will fly it anyways. Plus, having the miles to get back to Tokyo in F is nice, and I find their availability is really good on SQ metal, which would be tough to give up for the 773 as opposed to the A380 in the future.

So what would people do? As of now, I am leaning towards the EK in F option. Of course, if JL or CX F open up in the future I will do that, but want to make a decision for now so I can start planning the logistics for while I am there.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I have an upcoming 8/9 night trip to Japan (and possibly Korea) in the spring, and am wondering which miles I should use.....
Use the miles you can get an award with.
Your posts reads like you have not checked if you can get an award flight

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 4, 2015 at 2:47 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Sorry, should have been clear. I currently have ICN-DXB-LAX EK F, KIX-LAX JL C & ICN-LAX OZ F all reserved, and ICN-SFO SQ F and NRT-SEA NH F are currently available.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:08 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
What about ICN-HKG-LAX in CX C/F for 70K Alaska miles?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:23 am
Original Poster

if ICN-HKG-LAX/Japan-HKG-LAX on CX F opens up for either Alaska or AA miles I would do that over what my current options are. I saw on EF that the later flights on the 25th are F5 so maybe they will open up closer to departure, but for now they are not available for mileage redemption
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:49 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
if ICN-HKG-LAX/Japan-HKG-LAX on CX F opens up for either Alaska or AA miles I would do that over what my current options are. I saw on EF that the later flights on the 25th are F5 so maybe they will open up closer to departure, but for now they are not available for mileage redemption
Sign up for AsiaMiles and you can see CX availability online, or use BA's website. You could look at SFO and YVR too.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I have looked thought BA, Asia Miles and JL websites, no luck yet with CX or JL opening up seats yet to LAX/SFO/YVR. Maybe closer to departure.
In the meantime though, of the flights that I do have booked, any suggestions as to which ones people would choose?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.