Community
Wiki Posts
Search

take the fare and run?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL, KrisFlyer
N00b but I've been reading up here for a long time. Banging my head on the desk after slogging through piles of posts that aren't quite the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just missing them?

Booking a flight for September from US west coast (OAK/SFO/LAX) to NRT. Found a good fare at LAX with Singapore Air, flown them before and had a good experience. Trying to figure out whether to take the fare as shown or wait until closer to the date I plan to fly and hope for a sale somewhere. I typically book as early as I can so I'm sure I've got a seat but right now my schedule is flexible within a few days either side of the trip.

More detail: I usually fly out of SFO/OAK but fares up here to NRT aren't competitive. I can hop SWA (I mean WN?) to LAX and get a better direct RT fare with SQ (USD 880). Tried to figure in a stopover with a domestic carrier to HNL for a day but that didn't help much.

Economy flight is all I need, no KrisFlyer points handy but I have signed up for them. Didn't last time. Plenty of Southwest Rapid Reward miles but I'm saving up for something else.

Last edited by jackal; Mar 2, 2015 at 11:03 pm Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by DillPickles
N00b but I've been reading up here for a long time. Banging my head on the desk after slogging through piles of posts that aren't quite the answers I'm looking for. Maybe I'm just missing them?

Booking a flight for September from US west coast (OAK/SFO/LAX) to NRT. Found a good fare at LAX with Singapore Air, flown them before and had a good experience. Trying to figure out whether to take the fare as shown or wait until closer to the date I plan to fly and hope for a sale somewhere. I typically book as early as I can so I'm sure I've got a seat but right now my schedule is flexible within a few days either side of the trip.
Fares and good ones have been hard to find. But the route your looking has picked up a few players from different airports. You may see some sales which usually happen closer to departure.
But mainly it's a crap shoot airfares have been up but they are adding more seats so who knows.
If you've been following the fares and find one you like I guess take it.

You have flexible dates so throw them out there. We have the airports. There are a lot of very helpful people who may find you a great price. Good luck and have a great trip. ps always sign up for the FF programs. Look at Alliances to build on were you fly.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT!

Can I assume that you've used the usual resources (Kayak, ITA Matrix, etc) that show you a calendar of fares around the days you wish to travel? You've tried playing around with different airports NRT/HND, SFO/LAX/SEA I assume...In that case I would just take the fare that you see. SQ is great, and whilst you may find a cheaper fare a few weeks before departure, it's just as likely that you won't, and that everything will be a lot more expensive. Either way, saving $50-$75 isn't worth the peace of mind.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Just wanted to add, since it looks like you're based out of SFO you'll probably be better off crediting your miles to UA (or some other Star Alliance program) instead of KrisFlyer. It's been a while since I had status with SQ, so I can't really elaborate much on that, but I'm sure others here will pitch in with some details.

Good luck, and safe travels!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Just wanted to add, since it looks like you're based out of SFO you'll probably be better off crediting your miles to UA (or some other Star Alliance program) instead of KrisFlyer. It's been a while since I had status with SQ, so I can't really elaborate much on that, but I'm sure others here will pitch in with some details.

Good luck, and safe travels!
FF program for UA is cash-based now... so as a newbie I recommend you maybe credit to another Star Alliance program.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
LAX is currently a very competitive market for airfares, especially TPAC. Have you considered carriers such as CZ or MU, with connections in China (CAN/PVG/PEK, no visa required for transit)? Alternatively, look at SEA, where DL has been aggressively increasing capacity or even YVR for the CX flight connecting in HKG.

With some carriers, such as DL, you don't tend to get the cheapest fares if you purchase tickets too early.

It would probably be better to credit miles to some other *A program since SQ miles expire IIRC in three years, regardless of the activity in the SQ FF account. UA still seems decent for redemptions or the OP could investigate less obvious choices, noting that cheaper coach fares earn few or no redeemable miles in most FF programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.