Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Reusing credit from a cancelled itinerary with United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I'm sure this has been posted, but I appreciate any advice you can provide....my buddy told me this forum is a wealth of information!

I currently have a credit with United for an itinerary I was unable to travel, but the credit expires on 10 May, 2015.

I intended to use the credit (with the associated change fee) for travel in April of 2016.

Based on the current 330 day advance, I won't be able to book the seat until 2 weeks after the credit value would expire.

Anyone have any advice on how to work around this?

All information is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:01 pm

I think this will work:

-Use soon to expire credit to purchase a fully refundable ticket of similar value to a random destination for a date far out in the future.

-Cancel the refundable ticket and receive a new credit.

-When your desired 2016 itinerary is available for booking, use the new credit to book the ticket.

This thread will most likely be moved to the UA forum, so you should be able to get additional answers. They may even be able to say whether or not my idea would work.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since this query relates specifically to UA, the post will likely receive better feedback here in the dedicated United Airlines forum.

Good luck!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by scottpenderson
I think this will work:

-Use soon to expire credit to purchase a fully refundable ticket of similar value to a random destination for a date far out in the future.

-Cancel the refundable ticket and receive a new credit.

-When your desired 2016 itinerary is available for booking, use the new credit to book the ticket.

This thread will most likely be moved to the UA forum, so you should be able to get additional answers. They may even be able to say whether or not my idea would work.
Will this work? I have the same question
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
any one try this......? am interested if it works!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: TK *G Elite | Marriott Platinum | Southwest A-List Preferred | AA Gold
I've been in this boat before. A few years ago, my ORD -> SNA flight was cancelled. I had to spend the credit before it expired. I didn't have to travel by the expiration, but I did have to purchase the ticket. Maybe invest in purchasing a flexible ticket that you can change later if you are stuck on choosing a date? Remember, this was in 2012 so policies might have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.