Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

My e-ticket says I have 3 pieces of free luggage, is it true?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I just booked a flight from IAD to ADD via IST on Turkish Airlines. I have flown this route for the past 5 years or so at least once a year on Turkish Airlines and have always been allowed 2 pieces of checked luggage. However, my e-ticket says "Free Baggage Allowance : 3 Piece" on all of the legs of the trip.

It would be incredibly helpful for us to be able to have this extra luggage allowance! However, if I show up at the airport with the extra luggage and they say that I am only allowed the two, I don't want to have to pay the fee for the extra luggage. And, since we are renting a car and driving ourselves to the airport, I don't have any way to send that luggage back with anyone.

So, what do you think? Does the e-ticket guarantee that I am allowed to have 3 luggage? If they say no, do you think I can argue my way through?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
How did you purchase this ticket?

Turkish seems to use a weight based luggage system.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...gage-allowance
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by dannelb
Hello,

I just booked a flight from IAD to ADD via IST on Turkish Airlines. I have flown this route for the past 5 years or so at least once a year on Turkish Airlines and have always been allowed 2 pieces

So, what do you think? Does the e-ticket guarantee that I am allowed to have 3 luggage? If they say no, do you think I can argue my way through?
I think it's a gamble and worse case is you'll have to pay for 3rd bag, so need to decide how important is bringing a 3rd bag.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I bought the ticket directly through Turkish Airlines' website.

I suppose I could always call in and check with them before my trip, was just hoping that someone may have already had experience with this.

I looked at past e-tickets and they all specifically said 2 free baggage allowance, where this one says 3.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I honestly think that link I posted earlier did not include the additional link to info about "America" destinations which states " In Turkish Airlines direct flights to airports in North America (New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Toronto) the free baggage allowance is 2 pieces."
You could try emailing to confirm and then print out the response confirming 2 or 3 bags along with your original confirmation. That'd be hard to argue against.

Originally Posted by dannelb
I bought the ticket directly through Turkish Airlines' website.

I suppose I could always call in and check with them before my trip, was just hoping that someone may have already had experience with this.

I looked at past e-tickets and they all specifically said 2 free baggage allowance, where this one says 3.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since your post is about one specific airline, it will likely do better here in the dedicated Turkish Airlines forum.

For future reference, please note that all FT airline forums are listed under Airlines and Mileage Programs in the Miles & Points section of the FORUM INDEX (see link in page header).

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Yoshi.

I also saw this at the bottom of their luggage page about North America:

Please pay attention that the free baggage allowance is shown on your ticket.
Anyway, I got someone last minute to help us get to the airport. So, I'm going to bring all the suitcases and see if I can get them in. If they are too firm and say no, then I'll just pass them off. But, I think that according to their website and the e-ticket, I should have a pretty good case to argue.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
Can you print this off. If it is writing you stand a chance of getting 3 pieces.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:24 am
Suspended

Whatever you read online. Never trust what it say. But in this case just call them the airline you are going with only to be 100% sure if its correct or mistaken. In most cases sometimes there could be a error or something like that online. But its always important to phone the airline before you get there. Just in case you believed what the online said and then you are then charge too much for a extra luggage. So call them
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by citro
Whatever you read online. Never trust what it say. But in this case just call them the airline you are going with only to be 100% sure if its correct or mistaken. In most cases sometimes there could be a error or something like that online. But its always important to phone the airline before you get there. Just in case you believed what the online said and then you are then charge too much for a extra luggage. So call them

well..

IF it were me, and I had to choose between verbal words of an employee on phone vs printout from website, I will chose written document. But online documents have tendency of having some fine prints elsewhere on the web site.

If something is too good to be true then...
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:57 am
Suspended

In my experience TK seems to have very different bagage rules for different destinations (my most generous was 60 -sixty- kg in Y to Chisinau,Moldova on a ticket costing 99 euro R/T from Istanbul),so this might be spesific to the destination.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL
I find the information regarding luggage very confusing. If I have excess weight, do I pay a per kilogram rate or a flat rate? Thanks.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by willing292
I find the information regarding luggage very confusing. If I have excess weight, do I pay a per kilogram rate or a flat rate? Thanks.
Pr kilo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.