Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Any carrier that allows 2-night stopover on USA>Bali award?

Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are traveling to Bali from Orlando in Business class in June (not yet booked). We'd love to stay over someplace for a few days, but I can't figure out how to book it on one award ticket each.
We have plenty of miles - 300K Membership Rewards, 200K Delta, 100K American - but I'd rather not burn them all on one trip.
I've been on the phone with Delta and they say don't allow layovers, and with the MR points we can go with other carriers, but I don't know where to start.
Australia would be great, as would Shanghai, Singapore -- anyplace that is one-stop from Orlando and a non-stop to Bali.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
- Chuck

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jan 23, 2015 at 9:34 pm Reason: Title clarification
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

110K AA miles would get you a one-way Business Class for two to HKG; and then 25K BA Avios/person for Business Class from HKG to DPS. With the current bonus on Amex MR transfers, just 18K MR points will yield just over 25K BA Avios. You'd then have to redeem DL miles or transfer some MR points to a partner for the one-way back from DPS to MCO.

You could also investigate transferring your MR points to Aeroplan, and see how much Aeroplan wants for the roundtrip to Bali, and where along the way you could stop over. Some Aeroplan partners have hefty surcharges; some don't. Look before you leap.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

And welcome to FT!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, guv (that sounds like something from a BBC show, doesn't it?) - I'll check out Aeroplan because I'd much rather dump a bunch of miles/points into one carrier. While I've done the multi-system thing in the past, I've always screwed something up and ended up either paying a penalty, losing miles, or getting slapped with a hefty fee. I'm much better at accruing miles than spending them
Thanks again!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wannagetawaytoday
Thanks, guv (that sounds like something from a BBC show, doesn't it?) - I'll check out Aeroplan because I'd much rather dump a bunch of miles/points into one carrier. While I've done the multi-system thing in the past, I've always screwed something up and ended up either paying a penalty, losing miles, or getting slapped with a hefty fee. I'm much better at accruing miles than spending them
Thanks again!
Well, if you have enough MR for two J-class roundtrip-with-stopover awards to Bali with Aeroplan, and if you can find award space on Aeroplan's no-surcharge partners, that would be great. But you might find yourself forced to use AA miles/BA Avios in one direction, and Aeroplan miles in the other. If it should come to that, keep in mind that AA will let you hold most award reservations for five days at no cost. That can be very useful if trying to arrange award flights with other programs.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL allows one way award tickets now, but stopovers are gone. There's KLM service from DPS to SIN and KLM is a SkyTeam partner of DL. DL serves SIN-NRT-USA (LAX/PDX?/SEA/MSP/DTW/ATL/JFK).
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world

you have multiple options you just have to decide where. Most airlines allow one way and a few allow international stopovers
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 am

Why do you want to stop somewhere for a few days? Are you worried about the flying time and jetlag? Do you want to brag and say that you went to Bali and you were smart enough to get a free stopover in XYZ?

I'm all for a free stopover, but where do you want to go?

If you can't get a stopover with your award ticket, maybe you should consider this...1) figure out that you want a stopover in a city like HK 2) book your award ticket to and from HK 3) buy a cheap ticket from HK to DPS.

Of course, HK is just an example.

Have a great trip! Bali is fun
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SIN, KUL, BKK, etc. should all have cheap flights to/from DPS. You could even do an open jaw award ticket (or two one ways) and get one stopover in each direction.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your recommendations!
After logging several hours on the phone and joining multiple airline programs, we decided to give the folks at upgrd.com a shot at it - and it paid off (at least as far as I'm concerned)
Our itinerary is MCO-JFK-DXB with a 2 night stopover, then DXB-BKK with a 2 night stopover then on to DPS. We come home through SYD and LAX without a stopover.
We're going business class the whole way and it came in around 450K miles/points, so we're satisfied - and looking forward to an awesome few weeks.

Thanks again for your help!
- Chuck
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:42 pm

Is this a RTW award ticket?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

450000 miles for 2 tickets in J? eep. Stopping somewhere in East Asia as opposed to Dubai would have significantly cut that down.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
Originally Posted by wannagetawaytoday
Thanks for all of your recommendations!
After logging several hours on the phone and joining multiple airline programs, we decided to give the folks at upgrd.com a shot at it - and it paid off (at least as far as I'm concerned)
Our itinerary is MCO-JFK-DXB with a 2 night stopover, then DXB-BKK with a 2 night stopover then on to DPS. We come home through SYD and LAX without a stopover.
We're going business class the whole way and it came in around 450K miles/points, so we're satisfied - and looking forward to an awesome few weeks.

Thanks again for your help!
- Chuck
Wow! Expensive.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:35 am

I still wonder why they wanted a stopover to begin with?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.