Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Need help CLT-KTM Itinerary

Need help CLT-KTM Itinerary

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mqdarling
dukerau...Ok, I really like the trick with ANA. I will definitely be using that in the future. I think that $ and mile wise it makes the most sense to fly separate.
Sorry to continue asking questions, but I know I still have a lot to learn. What do you think my best use of miles for the quickest flight/least stops to and from KTM if we don't fly together? I am having trouble finding award availability for flights from Europe to KTM. Is there a good tool for doing this?
Use qantas.com to search for oneworld availability. aa.com doesn't show availability for Emirates and Qatar (among others), both of which are bookable with AA miles (you'll have to call when you find what you want). QR flies DOH-KTM, but I had trouble using qantas.com to search for availability on that route. You can use ba.com to search DOH-KTM, but it's a tough award ticket to find. Might be easier to get to DEL on award ticket and pay for DEL-KTM (< $100 one way).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"aa.com doesn't show availability for Emirates and Qatar (among others), both of which are bookable with AA miles (you'll have to call when you find what you want)."

Emirates cannot be booked with AA miles; but Etihad can.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"aa.com doesn't show availability for Emirates and Qatar (among others), both of which are bookable with AA miles (you'll have to call when you find what you want)."

Emirates cannot be booked with AA miles; but Etihad can.
Good point. Brain fart by me. Etihad gives OP another good option as they do serve KTM. I'm not up on Etihad awards, but I think best approach is to search on etihad.com.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

The best I have come up with is a flight on US air from CLT-LHR on Mar 22 arriving Mar 23. Flying BA LHR-DEL arriving Mar 24. Depart APR 8 flying AY DEL-HEL-LHR. 80,000 miles + $623.63 taxes and fees. This obviously doesn't include flight from DEL-KTM and back or a night stay in London. Ethiad flights take an eternity to get to and from your destination. I think I am better off just choking up the cash and using the miles in the future for a better redemption. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best I have come up with is a flight on US air from CLT-LHR on Mar 22 arriving Mar 23. Flying BA LHR-DEL arriving Mar 24. Depart APR 8 flying AY DEL-HEL-LHR. 80,000 miles + $623.63 taxes and fees. This obviously doesn't include flight from DEL-KTM and back or a night stay in London. Ethiad flights take an eternity to get to and from your destination. I think I am better off just choking up the cash and using the miles in the future for a better redemption. Any thoughts?
How did you determine that that's your best itinerary? Did you call AA to ask about availability on 9W or QR for any part of your trip?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

How did you determine that that's your best itinerary? Did you call AA to ask about availability on 9W or QR for any part of your trip?
I have tried using BA.com and AA website. No I haven't called. I guess I should. BTW what is 9W?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Also used qantas.... ITA matrix to search ey+
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:09 pm

Looks like you're only searching aa.com. You need to call or search on partner websites to see the whole picture (I prefer searching myself to avoid hours on phone with agent).

I just pieced this together. It's not perfect, but there is a ton of availability to work with, so you could easily move things around.

Award 1: 43K ANA (1 pax). Found using united.com
3/22 UA 7:16p CLT-IAD-FRA 11:45a (next day) OR 10:18a CLT-IAD-FRA 7:10a (next day)
4/9 UA 12:20p FRA-IAD-CLT 6:36p OR 5p FRA-IAD-CLT 11:24p

Award 2: 20K AS (1 pax). Found using alaskaair.com
3/22 AA 11:40a CLT-DFW-FRA 7:30a (next day)

Award 3: 40K AA (2 pax). Found using etihad.com
3/23 EY 9:55p FRA-AUH-KTM 3:35p (next day)

Award 4: 40K AA (2 pax). Found using etihad.com
4/8 EY 8:55p KTM-AUH-FRA 7a (next day)

Award 5: 30K UA (1 pax). Found using united.com

All together, this looks like this:

Passengers 1 and 2 fly separately CLT to FRA. Both can arrive ~7am
15 hour layover in Frankfurt - plenty of time to see Frankfurt or surroundings
Fly together FRA-AUH-KTM, arriving next day at ~3:30pm

Return 4/8, KTM-AUH-FRA.
Choose somewhat aggressive 5hr layover or safe 10hr layover. Remember if you miss connection, you are responsible for paying to get home.

This should avoid fuel surcharges completely. You'll just owe airport taxes and fees. Should be < $200 per person. Since you need long layovers in Europe both ways, you may want to look at connecting in a different city than Frankfurt one of the times. Of course you can always choose to stay a night or two if you'd like. There are no restrictions since you have separate awards to/from Europe.

I am by no means saying this is the best itinerary. I just started with your dates and found something that worked. I saw tons of options for each award, so I think there's a lot of flexibility on how you piece this together. You will have to be separate for either US-EU or vice versa due to how your miles are distributed. I couldn't get it to be the EU-US piece with these dates, but I'm sure it's possible.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
Looks like you're only searching aa.com. You need to call or search on partner websites to see the whole picture (I prefer searching myself to avoid hours on phone with agent).

I just pieced this together. It's not perfect, but there is a ton of availability to work with, so you could easily move things around.

Award 1: 43K ANA (1 pax). Found using united.com
3/22 UA 7:16p CLT-IAD-FRA 11:45a (next day) OR 10:18a CLT-IAD-FRA 7:10a (next day)

Award 2: 20K AS (1 pax). Found using alaskaair.com
3/22 AA 11:40a CLT-DFW-FRA 7:30a (next day)

Award 3: 40K AA (2 pax). Found using etihad.com
3/23 EY 9:55p FRA-AUH-KTM 3:35p (next day)

Award 4: 40K AA (2 pax). Found using etihad.com
4/8 EY 8:55p KTM-AUH-FRA 7a (next day)

Award 5: 30K UA (1 pax). Found using united.com

All together, this looks like this:

Passengers 1 and 2 fly separately CLT to FRA. Both can arrive ~7am
15 hour layover in Frankfurt - plenty of time to see Frankfurt or surroundings
Fly together FRA-AUH-KTM, arriving next day at ~3:30pm

Return 4/8, KTM-AUH-FRA.
Choose somewhat aggressive 5hr layover or safe 10hr layover. Remember if you miss connection, you are responsible for paying to get home.

This should avoid fuel surcharges completely. You'll just owe airport taxes and fees. Should be < $200 per person. Since you need long layovers in Europe both ways, you may want to look at connecting in a different city than Frankfurt one of the times. Of course you can always choose to stay a night or two if you'd like. There are no restrictions since you have separate awards to/from Europe.

I am by no means saying this is the best itinerary. I just started with your dates and found something that worked. I saw tons of options for each award, so I think there's a lot of flexibility on how you piece this together. You will have to be separate for either US-EU or vice versa due to how your miles are distributed. I couldn't get it to be the EU-US piece with these dates, but I'm sure it's possible.
Wow! That's very helpful. Thank you. Your right I was not looking at the big picture. Hopefully, I will get better at this. What is the best way to book since I would be using miles from different alliances? Just make separate phone calls to AA and ANA?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:45 pm

Wow! That's very helpful. Thank you. Your right I was not looking at the big picture. Hopefully, I will get better at this. What is the best way to book since I would be using miles from different alliances? Just make separate phone calls to AA and ANA?
I would put holds on the AA awards first. Then book the Alaska one since they are refundable more than 60 days out (I think). Then do ANA (refundable less 3K miles). Then transfer your UR to UA and do the United award. Finally, call AA back and book the awards on hold. You should only have to call for the AA awards. I believe the rest is bookable online.

If you look for other dates/routes, make sure to look for 2 seats with UA/ANA miles for one of the directions since you will both need seats via different awards. Common mistake is to search for 1 seat with UA and 1 seat with ANA and see availability but there's really only 1 seat that you're counting twice in your head.

Last edited by dukerau; Jan 4, 2015 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dukerau
I would put holds on the AA awards first. Then book the Alaska one since they are refundable more than 60 days out (I think). Then do ANA (refundable less 3K miles). Then transfer your UR to UA and do the United award. Finally, call AA back and book the awards on hold. You should only have to call for the AA awards. I believe the rest is bookable online.

If you look for other dates/routes, make sure to look for 2 seats with UA/ANA miles for one of the directions since you will both need seats via different awards. Common mistake is to search for 1 seat with UA and 1 seat with ANA and see availability but there's really only 1 seat that you're counting twice in your head.
Good point! I wouldn't have thought about searching for space for 2 on ANA/UA award. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"BTW what is 9W?"

9W is Jet Airways (India), which is an AAdvantage partner. 9W flies EWR-BRU, flies from BRU and other European airports to India, and flies from India to KTM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

So here is the update:

I changed the dates slightly to take full advantage of weekend days off of work. By changing the dates I feel like I learned the process of putting together multiple award tickets. At the beginning it was difficult trying to keep dates, arrival times, departures, etc. straight, but by the end I felt that I had a better grasp of how it all works. I also decided it would be better to spend the night in FRA on the way to KTM rather than spending 2 consecutive nights on a plane.

I did have a couple moments of panic during the booking process that I thought I would share:

I'm booking the final award ticket, which meant I needed to transfer my miles from my 2 UR accounts to UA.... When I got ready to transfer I had 22,283 points in one account and 7,710 in the other. To save you the math, that is 29,993. 7 short of the 30,000 needed for the UA FRA-CLT ticket. On top of that I forgot the site only lets you transfer in multiples of 1,000. Then I had an epiphany. I remembered I had just over 3,000 already in my UA account.

I also found that I have a love hate relationship with the ANA website. I noticed when booking the award the last flight from IAD to CLT was waitlisted. I didn't think much of it because it let me pay for the award and everything. The next day I just happened to be checking my e-mails from ANA with trip itineraries. The one from ANA said that if I did not confirm the waitlisted flight by 23:59 Japan time on January 8th my whole award would be canceled. The first time I tried to confirm there was an error. By this point I was panicking. I tried again and it was confirmed.

All this to say it was well worth it. Total taxes and fees $612.20.

Thanks again to all those that helped me in this process!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:50 am

So here is the update:

I changed the dates slightly to take full advantage of weekend days off of work. By changing the dates I feel like I learned the process of putting together multiple award tickets. At the beginning it was difficult trying to keep dates, arrival times, departures, etc. straight, but by the end I felt that I had a better grasp of how it all works. I also decided it would be better to spend the night in FRA on the way to KTM rather than spending 2 consecutive nights on a plane.

I did have a couple moments of panic during the booking process that I thought I would share:

I'm booking the final award ticket, which meant I needed to transfer my miles from my 2 UR accounts to UA.... When I got ready to transfer I had 22,283 points in one account and 7,710 in the other. To save you the math, that is 29,993. 7 short of the 30,000 needed for the UA FRA-CLT ticket. On top of that I forgot the site only lets you transfer in multiples of 1,000. Then I had an epiphany. I remembered I had just over 3,000 already in my UA account.

I also found that I have a love hate relationship with the ANA website. I noticed when booking the award the last flight from IAD to CLT was waitlisted. I didn't think much of it because it let me pay for the award and everything. The next day I just happened to be checking my e-mails from ANA with trip itineraries. The one from ANA said that if I did not confirm the waitlisted flight by 23:59 Japan time on January 8th my whole award would be canceled. The first time I tried to confirm there was an error. By this point I was panicking. I tried again and it was confirmed.

All this to say it was well worth it. Total taxes and fees $612.20.

Thanks again to all those that helped me in this process!
That's great - thanks for the conclusion! It wasn't clear if you know - for future reference, you can combine your UR on the Chase side (assuming you are combining your and/or a spouse's accounts) then transfer. You still would've needed at least 1k at United since that still would've had you transferring 29k due to the 1k blocks that you mentioned. Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.