Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do Pay-In Lounges make sure you leave?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold

I was looking at some of the Priority Pass lounges and many of them say something like "Maximum X hours stay". How exactly do they make sure you leave after that amount of time?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sometimes the agents recognize you, sometimes your overstay gets by them.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But I doubt anybody really cares that much. There are few PP lounges where you would WANT to stay more than two hours!
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
There are few PP lounges where you would WANT to stay more than two hours!
True enough. I checked into the PP (can't remember name) in the Jet Blue terminal at JFK with my Priority Pass. There was one person on duty who did all the "food" and checked you in, as well. She gave me a voucher for USD 10 to spend on smoothies or booze.

I asked about how long one was allowed to stay, and she told me "as long as you like."

For further information, refer to LondonElite (above).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The UA lounge at LHR T2 might be a different story, but even I can only drink so many martinis! *hic*
Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spainflyer
True enough. I checked into the PP (can't remember name) in the Jet Blue terminal at JFK with my Priority Pass. There was one person on duty who did all the "food" and checked you in, as well. She gave me a voucher for USD 10 to spend on smoothies or booze.

I asked about how long one was allowed to stay, and she told me "as long as you like."

For further information, refer to LondonElite (above).
Most PP lounges do not have maximum stay policies. The question is about the ones that do.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:58 am

I would think that amount of work for the person keeping track of how long you've been there was far more effort than what they're being paid for...I wouldn't worry about it...
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I suspect for most it doesn't matter. I recall one lounge (Singapore IIRC?) where you were given a coloured sticker on arrival, a bit like the old timed swimming pools with a coloured band.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I was at the S7 business lounge in Moscow where they kept the card up front until PP holders left. They have 3 hour cap. I'm not sure what they would do if I stayed past but I wasn't going to stay to find out as I had a plane to catch.

Originally Posted by Yachtman
I suspect for most it doesn't matter. I recall one lounge (Singapore IIRC?) where you were given a coloured sticker on arrival, a bit like the old timed swimming pools with a coloured band.
Sounds like the Ambassador transit lounge. I done recall whether it was a color or not. I mainly went in to get a shower since I wouldn't be able to check into my hotel. Not a lounge I'd plan on spending time in.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Most PP Lounges charge by the day.

By 1 minute past 12 midnight, one has to have their card charged again.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yachtman
I remember getting that colored sticker at some lounge in SG long back (2009 or so). Have stopped using PP since 2010
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Most lounges which have this rule do not seem to actively enforce it. Usually I think it is a rule more to discourage people going OTT. If you started to really take the p*** and spend a day there, I'm sure they might eventually say something. The one time it has been mentioned to me was in a pp lounge in BKK when the miserable dragon stressed that we only had 2 hours when we checked in to the lounge It was honestly a disgusting lounge and we were happy to leave.

In DUB, pp lounges have a rule of max 2 alcoholic drinks per person, even though it is self serve. Again this is a rule that is almost impossible to enforce and seems to be more on the list of rules to discourage people going overboard.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
It's only enforced when you abuse it.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I had a 6+ hour wait between flights while in YYZ, so I asked the Maple Leaf Lounge attendant if it was a problem if I stayed that long. She just shrugged. I managed to get in a 3 hour nap.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
I've had to wear a sticker with a time on it in HKG, but no one checked and stayed a good 30 minutes past my allowed time. I could have stayed longer but with the airport being one of the best I wanted to go have a shop and then got to a free recliner chair for an hour nap.

PS I only went to the lounge in the first place because of the shower

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.