Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get through O'Hare airport?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Best way to get through O'Hare airport?

I will be traveling for the first time out of the country.

I am going from O'Hare airport in Chicago to Minneapolis, and then to Edinburgh, Scotland. My first flight is from O'Hare Terminal 2. I will be taking a CouchUSA bus to the terminal.

As I have never really traveled before I'm pretty clueless as to how this all works. Will the Kiosks for printing my boarding pass be near the doors when I walk in? Is getting through security pretty self-explanatory?

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Check this detailed PDF map: http://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollec...0-%20PROOF.pdf

which of course you can print out.

It appears you'll arrive at the lower level bus stop and proceed up and over the roadway, proceeding to the second level to the main hall ticket counters area, where luggage is checked in, boarding passes picked up, etc.

From there you'll be directed to the security queues. You can access TSA information about airport security at: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mlana
I am going from O'Hare airport in Chicago to Minneapolis, and then to Edinburgh, Scotland. My first flight is from O'Hare Terminal 2. I will be taking a CouchUSA bus to the terminal.

As I have never really traveled before I'm pretty clueless as to how this all works. Will the Kiosks for printing my boarding pass be near the doors when I walk in? Is getting through security pretty self-explanatory?
Hi Miana:

Welcome to Flyertalk.

It sounds like you will be flying Delta. All Delta flights at ORD depart from Terminal 2.

You should be able to check in online 24 hours before your flight at Delta.com by entering your six-character record locator. You will, I think, be printing out three boarding passes:

1. ORD to MSP
2. MSP to intermediate city (LHR or AMS, most likely)
2. Intermediate city to EDI

I say this because I believe there are no nonstops from MSP to EDI.

You can go on Delta.com right now and use the "MY TRIPS" tab at far left to check and make sure you have seat assignments for all your flights. You can change them if you want, or upgrade to Economy Comfort (more legroom) for a few dollars extra.

If you do not want to check in online, you will find check-in kiosks at Terminal 2 right as you walk in off the curb on the departures level. They will require you to scan your passport, as you are leaving the US.

At the security checkpoint, unless you have TSA Pre-Check, you will find it's pretty self-explanatory. You take off your shoes and outer jacket, empty your pockets, and put all that stuff in a bin to be x-rayed along with your carry-on bag. If you have liquid/gel toiletries (shampoo, etc.) you need to have packed them separately in a Ziploc bag and remove the bag from your carry-on and send it through the x-ray separately. Any questions, ask a TSA officer.

If you do get TSA Pre-Check (your boarding pass will say so) you can leave your shoes and jacket on, and your stuff in your pockets, and leave your Ziploc bag of toiletries in your baggage.

Hope that helps -- any other questions?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It appears you'll arrive at the lower level bus stop and proceed up and over the roadway, proceeding to the second level to the main hall ticket counters area, where luggage is checked in, boarding passes picked up, etc.
The van Galder, and probably all, buses drop you off at the curb on the departure level so you just walk straight into the counter area. If you are returning through O'Hare and arriving on a domestic flight then the buses pick up from outside the transit terminal across from the Hilton. From terminals 1, 2 & 3 you follow the signs down to and through a tunnel system to get there. If you are on an international arrival then the buses pick up outside Terminal 5 at the right hand end as you exit customs.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since your post concerns a specific airport, it has been moved to the associated destination thread for further feedback.

Good luck

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Make sure your passport is valid. Allow plenty of extra time at the airport. You will be fine.

Go to your airline---ie, the operating carrier's---check-in desk. Give them your checked luggage (keep the carry-ons with you). They will need to see your passport. If it is not a US passport, you may need a UK visa from their Chicago consulate. With a US passport, you don't need a visa.

Next, after you receive the boarding pass, take your carry-ons to a security screening area. Unless are fortunate to be selected for TSA's simplified screening, you'll need to place your carry-on, purse, as well as shoes, jacket, and belt on the screening belt. Make sure there is nothing left in your pants/shirt pockets---phones, coins, papers; put it all in the jacket or carry-on pocket. Don't argue with TSA people even if their behavior seems disagreeable or crude.

Pick up your stuff, make sure you don't forget anything. Then go to your gate.

In dealing with government officials, eg, TSA (security) on your outbound and Immigration/Customs upon return, it is important to be business-like: be polite, answer questions honestly and to the point, without volunteering anything not asked; don't joke, don't try to make small talk.

You can't take any liquids in your carry-on in just about any country now. This means don't purchase any liquor in a duty free shop unless the flight you are about to board is going straight to your destination. It won't be allowed in a connecting flight later. Your flights seem to involve connections, so refrain from purchasing liquids (liquor, perfume) in duty free shops.

Good luck!

Last edited by aktchi; Dec 25, 2014 at 7:36 pm
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:17 pm
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
shuttles between terminals ORD

Can I go from T3 to T1 without getting out the secured area?

I know UA runs a shuttle between C (T1) and F (T2), but do not know any other links that avoid going through TSA again.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by V9
Yes! T1,T2,T3 are connected airside.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by V9

I know UA runs a shuttle between C (T1) and F (T2), but do not know any other links that avoid going through TSA again.
I don't know of any other shuttle, but you can simply walk between all three domestic terminals without leaving the secured area. Go to the low-numbered end of whichever concourse you arrive on, do not go down any stairs or escalators, before reaching security turn left and just keep on walking. You'll eventually arrive across the hall from Gate B5 in Terminal 1.

If you want to take the UA shuttle, instead of going all the way to the end, turn left at T2 and go to Gate E2A. The shuttle will take you to Gate C9 in T1. It runs every 15 minutes from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm. You will have to climb up and down stairs to get to the shuttle -- no escalators or elevators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.