Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

I have too many miles and not enough time now, how do you handle this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I have too many miles and not enough time now, how do you handle this?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Now you understand why Europeans have 4 weeks vacation
Plus everything is just a crap-shoot. I thought EXP at AA meant something with the SWU's, but it turns out I can't even bank on that confirming me a seat in business class. So I wonder what the difference between EXP and using a SWU is? Is everything just a waitlist game, unless I book it in the class of service I want?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:37 am
Community Director Emerita

If you're not using AwardWallet or the like, I suggest that you do. It will check your balances for you and help you stay aware of any balances that are at risk of expiring.

As far as your miles in general, I'd just let them be and organically use them. Your balances aren't that big. The AA chunk covers one trip for two in Etihad F with a bit left over. (It's 90K for F one way for one person; thus, a trip for 2 consumes 360K in one fell swoop.)

If you haven't done so, set up a list of everything that expires - the free nights, the travel credit, the SWUs and VIPs. Then as you are planning travel, review that list and see if there is anything you should consume. Book free hotel nights as opportunity arises, even if it isn't the top use of the free award. For example, I just got my annual free night from my IHG credit card. I've booked an IC that is 30K points. Yes, there are 40K point properties, but I'm not confident that I will want to stay at one in the next 12 months. I'd rather have the pressure off than hold on to the cert, 11 months goes by, and I still have the cert.

If you have to book extra unneeded travel in order to consume an expiring item, consider letting it expire or consider gifting it, if the instrument permits it. I'm speaking of the SWUs and 2-4-1 BA cert.

Be mindful of what you have to spend in order to use that free item. Don't take a trip to use a free night or to apply upgrades unless it is a trip that you truly want to take. Otherwise, you're spending money not saving it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

You remind me, to not forget the US Airways companion certificate that I have no clue how I will put to use per se. I was thinking of using my Marriott cert this Friday for black friday and going to like...Chicago to do some shopping (but then again it will be cold.......).

Oh yeah, and the Lufthansa Miles & More card...and how it has its own companion pass.

And the biggest irony of it all is that I have access to the same club through like 3-4 different methods now it seems, and I am letting passes (in my name) that I can't gift expire, because there is no way for me to effectively use them through already acquired status.

2 years ago, I wanted "these problems". Now I got "these problems". And all I want to do is go explore Europe more basically. And do it as cheap as possible, while taking biz class and staying in a few nice properties along the way.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you're not using AwardWallet or the like, I suggest that you do. It will check your balances for you and help you stay aware of any balances that are at risk of expiring.

As far as your miles in general, I'd just let them be and organically use them. Your balances aren't that big. The AA chunk covers one trip for two in Etihad F with a bit left over. (It's 90K for F one way for one person; thus, a trip for 2 consumes 360K in one fell swoop.)

If you haven't done so, set up a list of everything that expires - the free nights, the travel credit, the SWUs and VIPs. Then as you are planning travel, review that list and see if there is anything you should consume. Book free hotel nights as opportunity arises, even if it isn't the top use of the free award. For example, I just got my annual free night from my IHG credit card. I've booked an IC that is 30K points. Yes, there are 40K point properties, but I'm not confident that I will want to stay at one in the next 12 months. I'd rather have the pressure off than hold on to the cert, 11 months goes by, and I still have the cert.

If you have to book extra unneeded travel in order to consume an expiring item, consider letting it expire or consider gifting it, if the instrument permits it. I'm speaking of the SWUs and 2-4-1 BA cert.

Be mindful of what you have to spend in order to use that free item. Don't take a trip to use a free night or to apply upgrades unless it is a trip that you truly want to take. Otherwise, you're spending money not saving it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:04 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by factory81
You remind me, to not forget the US Airways companion certificate that I have no clue how I will put to use per se. I was thinking of using my Marriott cert this Friday for black friday and going to like...Chicago to do some shopping (but then again it will be cold.......).

Oh yeah, and the Lufthansa Miles & More card...and how it has its own companion pass.
There are things you are given that you are never going to use. And that's ok.

USAirways companion certificate - I've never used mine
USAirways lounge pass - I've never used mine and its nontransferable. I throw it away as soon as I get it. I have a lifetime card.
United lounge passes - I have a lifetime card. I see if family or friends can use the ones I get. If not, I gift on FlyerTalk.
AS companion certs - I didn't use for years. Now, a family member has moved to an AS destination and these have abruptly become valuable to me.

I try to be really careful and not expend extra effort to earn something I might not use. Two years ago, I did an unnecessary stay at a local Courtyard in order to get my second stay for a free night. I spent $70 plus tax. And in the end, I consumed the free night at a property that only cost $110 or so. I saved a bit of money but insufficient to be worth the pressure of not letting something of value expire unused. It was a reminder to me to not do that again.

I've got a BA 2-4-1 that expires late next year. I've already got my major trips booked for 2015. BA RT award space is horrific to find. Nor is flying BA ideal for any of these trips. It pains me, as I did put effort into putting $30K spend on that card. But it is highly probable I'll let the cert expire unused. Fortunately, no money was spent needlessly to obtain it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:38 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Too many miles??? Ah, those pesky first world problems.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

When your next salary review is due, demand 4 weeks of vacation/PTO.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Do people here really read what they write before they post? wow...

At any rate if OP doesn't know what to do with his miles I could sure use some help trying to get from Ulanbataar to Bishkek (or anywhere else in 'stans) next summer...do something interesting with your stash
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
You don't have weekends off?
Or good friends, relatives, colleagues, ?
You can also donate to a charity called. " Children of HMPS".
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Now you understand why Europeans have 4 weeks vacation
Puh...leeze. Less than six weeks is not acceptable.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by factory81
e.g. ORD-FCO or CDG-ORD. What is the cost per one way economy ticket for these routes? $2600.
Wait a minute...out of the OP post, this is what caught my eye. $5200 for R/T economy ORD-FCO or ORD-CDG? That can't be right.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by 466SHH
You can donate those orphan UA miles before they expire and do some good. Long list of charities on the UA site. Something there to appeal to everyone.
^^ This ^

I donated a few thousand to a charity with UA to keep the remaining miles from expiring.

I swore I'd never touch BA with a barge pole again, but loathed to let the miles expire, determined to get at least something out of them for all the headaches they caused me, and used some of those for hotels.

I wish I had the same problem you do, OP, but even those of us with fewer miles, have to find ways to keep them from expiring or lose them.

You can also transfer miles, although this incurs a fee and is sometimes not worth the effort.

Each airline has its own set of rules regarding the spending and accruing of miles, so you'll need to check the terms for each loyalty program you hold.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 am

I'm never going to say I have too many miles, cause I know some of the folks here have 7 and 8 figure balances, but I must admit using the miles I've accumulated is becoming more difficult. I'm sitting on 2.5m miles and points, dozens of free rooms and lounge passes, and ALL my family travel has been booked through October of 2015. It's a great problem to have and I'm definitely not complaining, though.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:43 am

I have flown friends and family around on my miles. My mom and sister got trips to spain out of it early this year. Some friends of mine got married recently and once they decide on where to go with their honeymoon I think I will be gifting them the airfare with my AA miles as well. I have so many bank points due to spending that I'd rather use those on myself for EQM and upgrade purposes.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I hate this guy

"I'm too rich for my own good!"

That said, I can understand the problem, if you're always on the road and don't really have a chance to take a vacation and usually travel paid J, then these yearly expiring gimmick upgrades don't really do you much good. I don't have a solution for that other than just offering them to friends.

With the miles though, and I doubt this is TECHNICALLY legal/in spirit of the programs, but I don't they can really do much to ya...sell award tickets to people you know. "Wanna go to Europe? $1000 instead of $1500, just can't make changes and I'll book it for you, under your guidance". Make use of those points before they devalue them further.

Or just give em all to me, I'll keep em until my project ends then globetrot for 6 months
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

At some point the idea is to use all these points. SWU's and vouchers make me consider paying for travel out of pocket with vouchers and the difference in cash - and forego burning points. Because you can't apply SWU's to award tickets.

So I think AA has me basically right where they want me. I can't use their miles because SWU. I can't use SWU on award ticket. So they have me foregoing award travel for paid travel instead. Because I don't have enough vacation time to go on enough trips to burn my SWU's up even!

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I hate this guy

"I'm too rich for my own good!"

That said, I can understand the problem, if you're always on the road and don't really have a chance to take a vacation and usually travel paid J, then these yearly expiring gimmick upgrades don't really do you much good. I don't have a solution for that other than just offering them to friends.

With the miles though, and I doubt this is TECHNICALLY legal/in spirit of the programs, but I don't they can really do much to ya...sell award tickets to people you know. "Wanna go to Europe? $1000 instead of $1500, just can't make changes and I'll book it for you, under your guidance". Make use of those points before they devalue them further.

Or just give em all to me, I'll keep em until my project ends then globetrot for 6 months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.