Wiki Posts
Search

REQUEST ASSISTANCE: Bereavement Fare Alternative

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
REQUEST ASSISTANCE: Bereavement Fare Alternative

My wife's Father has just died. I would like to get her from Washington, DC or another "nearby" East Coast city to Cebu City, Philippines as quickly [and as economically reasonable] as possible. We would like for her to leave on Sunday, 23 November 2014 with an uncertain return date.

I have the following resources:

CASH/credit cards
50,000 United miles in her account [no status]
35,000 US Airways miles in her account [no status]
500 United miles in my account [Gold status]
40,000 US Airways miles in my account [no status]
40,000 American miles in my account [no status]
50,000 SPG points

According to this article bereavement fares are no longer available from most airlines. I am not sure that it would have applied to international trips anyway.

My initial thought is to burn 40,000 United miles from her account on a one-way ticket and to worry about how to get her back to the USA when the time comes. However, I think that may not be the best way to handle the situation. I would appreciate any input with respect to accomplishing this task.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Nov 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm Reason: clarify departure and arrival locations
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Doing 2 one way awards may be a better deal than a last minute open ended ticket

Good availability for UA saver awards. Although I'm not sure what Cebu- Washington on AA award. i'm, not sure which oneworld carriers work as the AA site says to call ( CX i believe goes there). US air does not do one way awards so probably cant do anything with that.

CX seems to have good economy availability CEB-HKG-JFK late november and early december

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 20, 2014 at 6:17 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. If I don't get other advice, I am planning on using the United miles for a one-way ticket.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Nov 20, 2014 at 6:57 pm Reason: Duplicate
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My condolences.

I agree that the best option is probably to just do the one-way award for now and worry about which airline and date to bring her back to the USA later.

It sounds like you've found that one-way ticket already, which is good. But for what it's worth, the site awardnexus.com provides free award searches (up to a certain limit) for FT members. Might come in handy for going one or both ways.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Thanks for the quick response. If I don't get other advice, I am planning on using the United miles for a one-way ticket.
Just call up AA when you know when she is returning to book on Cathay. It should only be 35K miles for the return to New York, I'm not sure about getting JFK-DC but there's trains and busses for that
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:35 pm

How about transferring the SPG points to Korean Air? Availability is supposed to be pretty good I think (in general) and you get the bonus for the transfer
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My wife's Father has just died. I would like to get her from Washington, DC or another "nearby" East Coast city to Cebu City, Philippines as quickly [and as economically reasonable] as possible. We would like for her to leave on Sunday, 23 November 2014 with an uncertain return date.

CASH/credit cards
50,000 SPG points

According to this article bereavement fares are no longer available from most airlines. I am not sure that it would have applied to international trips anyway.

My initial thought is to burn 40,000 United miles from her account on a one-way ticket and to worry about how to get her back to the USA when the time comes. However, I think that may not be the best way to handle the situation. I would appreciate any input with respect to accomplishing this task.
I would not rely on an article in a newspaper which makes a generalized statement and apply it to the specific situation here.

While it is true that many bereavement fares are gone and that others are not significant discounts, there are some and most of them, while not amazing discounts, do offer flexibility on the return at a price normally charged for non-flex tickets.

It is also possible that award space can be opened or has opened when you call.

Thus, get on the phone, explain the situation and ask for help. If you find a good deal, grab it on the spot as it may not be there 10 minutes later.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farbster
How about transferring the SPG points to Korean Air? Availability is supposed to be pretty good I think (in general) and you get the bonus for the transfer
I don't see Korean as a transfer partner. Id also be weary of how long it takes to transfer over with the immediate need for departure, sure there would be enough time for the return but its only 35K AA miles while KE costs 42.5K (I assume they do one way awards?) so even with the bonus its cheaper to use AA miles.

I say SPG would be better off used to replenish the AA Miles after completing the return trip,

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 21, 2014 at 3:21 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AAdvantage rewards originating in the Philippines require special ticketing procedures, so I would use AA miles to the Philippines, and UA miles back.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

AAdvantage rewards originating in the Philippines require special ticketing procedures, so I would use AA miles to the Philippines, and UA miles back.
Uh Oh that's not good. I just found the thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ilippines.html
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Outbound booked

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I have her booked [using 40K UA miles] on a flight outbound from DCA on UA connecting in ORD to a flight bound for ICN on OZ connecting to an OZ flight to Cebu.

I called UA and asked for any discounts and/or concessions that could be offered for a death in the family. I was basically told that there were none by the first agent. A second call and second agent did say that I could pay the close-in booking fee upfront and then ask Customer Service for a refund but that, if granted, there would be a USD$50.00 processing fee reducing the refund to USD$25.00.

I also asked if there was any way to grant her status for this single one-way ticket so that she could have lounge access since I could not book from my [gold status] account and I could not travel with her. The answer was the agent did not have that authority. I completely understand that status is an earned benefit and fully understand the airline following the rules of the program and it's alliance. So this is not a complaint, just a data point with respect to the result I was able to obtain.

I was not aware of the special ticketing requirements for tickets originating in the Philippines but hopefully it will not be a problem since she will be in the Philippines when we need to book the return segment.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I have her booked [using 40K UA miles] on a flight outbound from DCA on UA connecting in ORD to a flight bound for ICN on OZ connecting to an OZ flight to Cebu.

I called UA and asked for any discounts and/or concessions that could be offered for a death in the family. I was basically told that there were none by the first agent. A second call and second agent did say that I could pay the close-in booking fee upfront and then ask Customer Service for a refund but that, if granted, there would be a USD$50.00 processing fee reducing the refund to USD$25.00.

I also asked if there was any way to grant her status for this single one-way ticket so that she could have lounge access since I could not book from my [gold status] account and I could not travel with her. The answer was the agent did not have that authority. I completely understand that status is an earned benefit and fully understand the airline following the rules of the program and it's alliance. So this is not a complaint, just a data point with respect to the result I was able to obtain.

I was not aware of the special ticketing requirements for tickets originating in the Philippines but hopefully it will not be a problem since she will be in the Philippines when we need to book the return segment.

Thanks again for all the input.
What is your wife's citizenship? If she is not a citizen of the Philippines (or if she will be traveling on a passport that does not indicate that she is), make sure that UA will transport her without a confirmed return ticket in her possession. (Some countries will deny entry to foreigners who do not hold a ticket for ongoing travel. I do not know whether the Philippines is such a country.)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

What is your wife's citizenship? If she is not a citizen of the Philippines (or if she will be traveling on a passport that does not indicate that she is), make sure that UA will transport her without a confirmed return ticket in her possession. (Some countries will deny entry to foreigners who do not hold a ticket for ongoing travel. I do not know whether the Philippines is such a country.)
Thanks for the heads up on this potential issue. My Wife is a citizen of the Republic of the Philippines so she should not have an issue with a one way ticket - I hope.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

CASH/credit cards
50,000 SPG points

For one thing, I'd call Philippine Airlines to see if they do, or don't, offer bereavement / compassion fares. Nonstop US West Coast-MNL would be convenient and your miles could get her to the coast.

Delta, which seems to fly to MNL via Japan, has bereavement fares. See here: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...reavement.html

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
For one thing, I'd call Philippine Airlines to see if they do, or don't, offer bereavement / compassion fares. Nonstop US West Coast-MNL would be convenient and your miles could get her to the coast.

Delta, which seems to fly to MNL via Japan, has bereavement fares. See here: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...reavement.html
Thanks for all who provided advice and guidance. My Wife departed this morning on a United flight.

If anyone is willing to guest her into the Asiana/Star Alliance club in ICN I would be grateful. She has United Club passes with her but there is no United Club at ICN [according to the United Club finder]. Or if there is a pay Lounge at ICN please let me know. There does appear to be a pay lounge: SKY HUB-LOUNGE.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Nov 23, 2014 at 10:55 am Reason: added pay option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.