Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

How do i get to Cancun from SAN or LAX ?

Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

hi fellow talkers,

i just received a wedding invitation in the mail and have to plan my travel for April 27, 2015, destination ====>>> Cancunnnnnnnnn

I haven't been there in 5 years so it's going to be nice, it's getting chilly here in So Cal.

I heard of southwest opening up their international routes, however I have been unable to find any deals.

Please helpppppppp Direct flights will be even better bc I am traveling with a toddler

Miles:

AA 200k
SW 200k
UR 150k
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sdkingpin
hi fellow talkers,

i just received a wedding invitation in the mail and have to plan my travel for April 27, 2015, destination ====>>> Cancunnnnnnnnn

I haven't been there in 5 years so it's going to be nice, it's getting chilly here in So Cal.

I heard of southwest opening up their international routes, however I have been unable to find any deals.

Please helpppppppp Direct flights will be even better bc I am traveling with a toddler

Miles:

AA 200k
SW 200k
UR 150k
If you have inflexible dates and routings, no one is going to be able to find you any special "deals."
If nonstop is important to you, your only options are Delta, United, and Aeromexico out of LAX. Look on United.com and Delta.com for award availability on the dates you want to travel.

On American, you will have to connect through Dallas or Phoenix.
On Southwest, there are options stopping in Denver, Atlanta, San Antonio, and Chicago.

You can transfer Ultimate Rewards to United to book United flights, or to Korean Air for Delta or Aeromexico, but that is not recommended for an inexperienced traveler.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Nov 21, 2014 at 1:37 pm Reason: removed unnecessary bit
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
"It's getting chilly here in SoCal"

Lol, I was in Anaheim about a week ago and after the hockey game (10pmish) it was like 18 Celsius (it got to just under 30 in the daytime) and this woman was all over her kid to put his jacket on! Y'all crazy. Coming from Vancouver it was much more pleasant than the 6-8 Celsius it was at home.

CUN is relatively easy as it's very common.

Should be lots of options, but even just paying rather than using miles, it won't be terribly expensive.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

Did you mean price "deals" or mileage "deals" as you are not quite clear on your post. So what have you found so far perhaps that would help us help you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware it's going to be crowded in the air and on the ground if you're close to Easter or Spring Break.

Volaris flies out of SAN and you can connect on (at GDL).

Other, likely more economical, options available to you near SAN is to go to TIJ and use a Mexican domestic carrier like Aeroméxico, Interjet or Volaris ( VivaAerobús doesn't fly to TIJ). You will have to connect at MEX or GDL with all but Volaris, which began nonstop TIJ-CUN flights last year; but for domestic flights not much of a problem, as you'll probably cross at Otay Mesa with minimal hassle. Six hours including connections via TIJ.

With miles, you also have limitations, and will probably have to make some connections as well.

LAX offers no stops only via AM, DL and UA.

There are threads that might be useful to you in the Mexico Forum.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 2014 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
You can fly nonstop on Virgin America from LAX to Cancun. I flew this route in September and it was a great experience (Although, I have yet to write my review).
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by wrxmom
You can fly nonstop on Virgin America from LAX to Cancun. I flew this route in September and it was a great experience (Although, I have yet to write my review).
The OP should also know that a RT award with Virgin Atlantic miles on Virgin America is only 20k. Now if the OP can find availability for his/her dates then the OP can transfer his/her UR's to Virgin Atlantic.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.