Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a little guidance.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Looking for a little guidance.

I'm new to the forums here and wish to gather some information, but due to limitation on time, don't wanna spend all day on the wrong threads... My goal is to take a trip to Hawaii next summer. My gf and I have been getting a good amount of points stocked up for it. I just wanna make sure we get the most out of the points we have earned. So wanted to know which airlines/hotels will be best to look into for the trip. But even more so than that specific issue, my general question is how best to navigate through all that is on this site for something specific such as planning a future trip to Hawaii. This site/forum is quite overwhelming for a new member such as myself and it's hard to figure out where to begin, or how to be efficient.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Under "Destinations" there is a Hawaii forum.

You don't say what kind of "points". Try looking at the specific forums for your "points".

The other thing is that most people will already have their points/miles in hand by this time and making their airline and hotel bookings by now.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by Zarathuztra
I'm new to the forums here and wish to gather some information, but due to limitation on time, don't wanna spend all day on the wrong threads... My goal is to take a trip to Hawaii next summer. My gf and I have been getting a good amount of points stocked up for it. I just wanna make sure we get the most out of the points we have earned. So wanted to know which airlines/hotels will be best to look into for the trip. But even more so than that specific issue, my general question is how best to navigate through all that is on this site for something specific such as planning a future trip to Hawaii. This site/forum is quite overwhelming for a new member such as myself and it's hard to figure out where to begin, or how to be efficient.
Welcome to FT!

The best way to get advice here is to start by listing the number of miles/points that you and your gf have and what programs they are located in. Without that information it's impossible to recommend specific airlines or hotels.

In any case, as More Miles Please implies, it already late to be booking travel to a popular destination during the peak summer season. Award seats are limited on all airlines, and many people wishing to book award travel make their reservations as soon as award seats become available (approximately 330 days in advance of travel).

Last edited by JPG3392; Oct 29, 2014 at 5:38 pm Reason: Corrected typo.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by JPG3392
Welcome to FT!

The best way to get advice here is to start by listing the number of miles/points that your and your gf have and what programs they are located in. Without that information it's impossible to recommend specific airlines or hotels.

In any case, as More Miles Please implies, it already late to be booking travel to a popular destination during the peak summer season. Award seats are limited on all airlines, and many people wishing to book award travel make their reservations as soon as award seats become available (approximately 330 days in advance of travel).
Where are you leaving from and which Island or Islands do you want to see. All of above information will help peope to help you. Plus you will have to put some time in but like you said make it in the right place. Good luck we've been to all the Islands many times and each has there own special beauty.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
But even more so than that specific issue, my general question is how best to navigate through all that is on this site for something specific such as planning a future trip to Hawaii. This site/forum is quite overwhelming for a new member such as myself and it's hard to figure out where to begin, or how to be efficient.
Many here are more than happy to help. Beyond the advise already given, we can't help without specifics, starting with your home airports(s), destination (Hawaii has 5 airports with service from the lower 48), points balances, and date flexibility. Otherwise you can dive into the forum(s) on the points you have. Note that google does a better job of searching FT than FT search does.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:24 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
GOTTA let us know which type of miles you have
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Chase UR: 80k
United MP: 58k
Amex : 57.5k

IHG: 6.8k

Local Airports: EWR and PHL (Prefer EWR)
Destination Airports: HNL and ITO (will be better determined after hotel/s are picked.)

Presently still determining plans while in Hawaii, would be happy to hear suggestions from folks that have visited Hawaii previously themselves. My assumption is it's best to determine what activities we wanna do there and where that puts us, then pick hotels to suit those plans and finally choose the airport that works. If someone has a better way of approaching this that would be more effective, please do inform.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Destination Airports: HNL and ITO (will be better determined after hotel/s are picked.)

Presently still determining plans while in Hawaii, would be happy to hear suggestions from folks that have visited Hawaii previously themselves. My assumption is it's best to determine what activities we wanna do there and where that puts us, then pick hotels to suit those plans and finally choose the airport that works. If someone has a better way of approaching this that would be more effective, please do inform.
Chase UR can transfer 1:1 to Korean Sky Pass. You can redeem 25K Sky Pass miles for a roundtrip to Hawaii on Delta, if you can find lowest-tier award availability on delta.com for your desired dates of travel. So for 50K UR points converted to KE Sky Pass miles, you might be able to get a roundtrip for two passengers. But don't transfer anything until you have confirmed lowest-tier availability at delta.com.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:47 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Pretty impossible to find low to Hawaii though
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: AS MVP
While Korean has the best price on their award chart, chances of finding roundtrip availability on Delta are very slim. The next best and much more likely option is Singapore miles on United for 17.5K each way. If you start or end your trip in HNL, you can even get a nonstop to or from EWR. Search for space while not logged in at united.com, and both AMEX and Chase can be transferred to SQ. Island hops are 6K UA miles.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Note that in addition to the option of using 6K UA miles, cash fares for inter-island flights are typically in the neighborhood of $80 one-way, sometimes slightly less and occasionally a bit more to the smaller islands- IME anyway. So we often just pay for those flights.

I would certainly decide what you really want to see and do, and then choose hotels based on that. I'd check on flight possibilities simultaneously as you narrow it down in case a certain destination is just not feasible.

There is a forum for Hawaii on here (Destinations-->America-USA-->Hawaii) where you can browse and ask more about the destination itself. The "what to do" recommendations depend upon your preferences - water activities, historical, cultural, entertainment, lounge on the beach and drink, etc, etc.
Each island has its charms and variations.

In general, and Hawaii is certainly no exception, getting the most out of miles and points takes some degree of flexibility, and often a fair amount of time online searching and checking options and availability.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:50 am

Are you sure about ITO airport? We've been to the Big Island 2x and flew into KOA both times. We were staying at Hualalai, so that was a big part...Double check where you want to go on the island.

Also, you might consider renting a timeshare from a place like redweek. You might be able to get a good deal and you'll also save money by eating breakfast in room etc...

have a great time!

Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
While Korean has the best price on their award chart, chances of finding roundtrip availability on Delta are very slim. The next best and much more likely option is Singapore miles on United for 17.5K each way. If you start or end your trip in HNL, you can even get a nonstop to or from EWR. Search for space while not logged in at united.com, and both AMEX and Chase can be transferred to SQ. Island hops are 6K UA miles.
I'm finding some PHL-HNL-PHL roundtrips for late August departures and early/mid September returns that price as 45,000 miles on delta.com, so those [I]should[/b] be available for 25,000 Korean Sky Pass miles. Note, however, that Sky Pass does not permit redemptions for non-family members, so the OP's GF would have to get her own Sky Pass miles for this to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.