Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Booking Award Travel Late Next Year to BKK. Help please.

Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

First time poster here. I have a question about booking a multi-stop flight next year and was hoping to get some insight. I would like to fly ORD->BKK and return ORD->DXB, spend a few days in Dubai, and then fly home DXB->ORD. I am shooting for first class and would love to get on an A380. Right now, I possess around 140,000 Chase UR points. I would like to travel around this time next year. I was hoping I could someone could weigh in and help me chooses the best airline and route to book. This will be my first time booking award travel and I really would like not to screw it up.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:36 pm

Here's what you're looking at with UA (I'll let others refer to BA/SQ/KE as I have less experience with those).

ORD-BKK(destination)-DXB(stopover)-ORD

Your proposed trip prices out as a single roundtrip because United allows a stopover on roundtrip award tickets. Each way, it's going to be 40K in economy, 80K in business, and 130K in first. So you could make the trip in business for 160K or one way in first and the other in economy for 170K.

(Theoretically you might be able to get 70K biz /90K first United-only award pricing on the last leg, as UA flies from Dubai to Washington, but I believe the pricing engine will insist on BKK as the destination- rather than DXB as the destination with a stopover in BKK. And it's quite difficult to find award availability DXB-IAD, even if you could spin it that way.)
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:52 pm
Suspended

How about

ORD-ICN/IST/FRA-BKK (OZ/TK/LH),
BKK-DXB (TG),
DXB-IAD/IST/FRA-ORD (UA/TK/LH).

Looks like there is tons available on Asiana and Turkish.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Oct 27, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aradisc
Here's what you're looking at with UA (I'll let others refer to BA/SQ/KE as I have less experience with those).

ORD-BKK(destination)-DXB(stopover)-ORD

Your proposed trip prices out as a single roundtrip because United allows a stopover on roundtrip award tickets. Each way, it's going to be 40K in economy, 80K in business, and 130K in first. So you could make the trip in business for 160K or one way in first and the other in economy for 170K.

(Theoretically you might be able to get 70K biz /90K first United-only award pricing on the last leg, as UA flies from Dubai to Washington, but I believe the pricing engine will insist on BKK as the destination- rather than DXB as the destination with a stopover in BKK. And it's quite difficult to find award availability DXB-IAD, even if you could spin it that way.)
Thanks! Would I be able to.get saver rates for this route? Wouldn't that put roundtrip first at 160k?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How about

ORD-ICN/IST/FRA-BKK (OZ/TK/LH),
BKK-DXB (TG),
DXB-IAD/IST/FRA-ORD (UA/TK/LH).

Looks like there is tons available on Asiana and Turkish.
Wow, thanks for the research! Do you happen to know if United allows multiple stopovers?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bendiana
Wow, thanks for the research! Do you happen to know if United allows multiple stopovers?
Not sure. I suggest asking that in the United forum. I tend to book simple roundtrips or open-jaws only.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Nope, only 1 stopover allowed with United miles.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Thanks! Would I be able to.get saver rates for this route? Wouldn't that put roundtrip first at 160k?
160k is business class.

First is going to run you 260k United miles.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by foofiter
160k is business class.

First is going to run you 260k United miles.
260k? Can you show me how that matches up to this chart.

Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Look at the Partner First & Bus class line. Its 160000 for Roundtrip saver in business and you need to add 100k to get First if its on flights with First & Business.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by mikelat
Look at the Partner First & Bus class line. Its 160000 for Roundtrip saver in business and you need to add 100k to get First if its on flights with First & Business.
@:-) ^ Bingo!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:36 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I think you can stopover in Australia on the way message me if you want the routing for that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.