Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCO to FCO 15 Sep 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

MCO to FCO 15 Sep 2015

What is the best way to get two premium class tickets out of MCO to Rome on 9/15/15 and returning on 9/25/15. I noticed that most of the flight to Rome (via somewhere else in Europe) leaves out of PHI. I know it's early and one cannot see those flights yet, but I just want to become educated before those fares are released. Furthermore when the first outgoing fares opens up, I know will I be able to only book outbound flight only until the inbound (FCO to MCO) opens up.

This trip is to celebrate our 25th anniversary and we are excited to see Rome for the first time. Any insight and clues are appreciated here. Thanks for any helps. FYI, I hae been using the AA website to get an idea of the fares that are available now for travel 8/4/2015, as an example of what the points/fare availability will be for us

Points available
AA: 360,000
Mariott: 210,000
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Are you looking to spend AA miles, or cash? (Your reference to "fares" has confused me.) If cash, just look on a site like Travelocity, Orbitz, etc., starting next week. Some carriers (like BA) sell seats starting at 355 days out.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Sorry about the confusion. Im actually planning to use points for the trip. I checked a sample flight tonight(8/4/15 departure) and the additional fees were about $2200 in addition to 250k points.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SPYDER876
Sorry about the confusion. Im actually planning to use points for the trip. I checked a sample flight tonight(8/4/15 departure) and the additional fees were about $2200 in addition to 250k points.
Are these fees per person or for two? Either way, I suspect this involves BA travel, which has notoriously high fees on award tickets. Look for connections through MAD on IB.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Madrid Connection

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these fees per person or for two? Either way, I suspect this involves BA travel, which has notoriously high fees on award tickets. Look for connections through MAD on IB.

Yes, the fees are for two people with BA handling the USA to London segment. I don't see connection with AA through Madrid. All the connection I'm seeing connects in London. Is there a way to select the connection points in Europe on the AA website that I don't know about?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just be aware you have to call AA for Iberia as their flights don't show up on AA.com. Air Berlin is another possible option, which shows up on AA.com, though I don't know what their premium availability is generally. They do fly to a couple of spots in Florida from DUS or TXL, but also others in the US you could connect to.

In general it will pay to look at other airports in reasonable distance to your home - e.g., TPA, MIA/FLL, RSW, SRQ - when searching award availability. For one thing, sometimes finding the overseas leg isn't a problem but the domestic connection might not have availability.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:08 am

Another thought...are you only going to Rome? Or will you be visiting other cities in Italy? Maybe fly into Rome and out of Venice? Or vice versa? That might open up some availability.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Another thought...are you only going to Rome? Or will you be visiting other cities in Italy? Maybe fly into Rome and out of Venice? Or vice versa? That might open up some availability.
I will definitely look into that. I just cannot believe that anything going into/out of England (via BA) has that exorbitant fees tacked unto the award tickets from USA to FCO. Also all, or at least most, of the flight code shares with BA, it seemed purposely for this reason.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Also all, or at least most, of the flight code shares with BA, it seemed purposely for this reason."

Nope. Codeshares are irrelevant for award travel. If a flight is operated by BA you can only redeem Aadvantage miles under the BA flight number, not under the AA (codeshare) flight number.

Award seats are more available on BA metal precisely because of the high surcharges. Many AAdvantage members would rather fly on AA metal with no surcharges, so those award seats get snapped up quickly.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I will definitely look into that. I just cannot believe that anything going into/out of England (via BA) has that exorbitant fees tacked unto the award tickets from USA to FCO. Also all, or at least most, of the flight code shares with BA, it seemed purposely for this reason.
Yes it does. Also, if England is your destination or if you take a stopover (more than 24 hours) in London, there are additional exorbitant "luxury" taxes.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't see connection with AA through Madrid. All the connection I'm seeing connects in London. Is there a way to select the connection points in Europe on the AA website that I don't know about?
IB availability doesn't show up on AA.com and they may have some availability though MAD. I usually check IB availability on BA.com (you just have to sign up for a BA account to be able to search). To book an IB award with AA miles, you'll have to call AA reservations.

There isn't anything else you can do online that shows anything more - it will show what's available for those partners that AA displays online.

But it is too early to see availability for your dates, and picking other random dates isn't necessarily going to reflect what ends up being available for your future dates...though generally BA's fuel surcharges will mean their seats are not snatched up as quickly.

Your best bet, as with any award program, is to be as flexible as you can as with departure and arrival locations and times and keep checking once availability begins to open up for your date ranges. As mentioned above is you're visiting other places in Italy you may want to look at in/out of different cities. Or worst case, even consider taking the train from another city which can be a reasonable alternative if you just can't find anything directly to FCO.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
IB availability doesn't show up on AA.com and they may have some availability though MAD. I usually check IB availability on BA.com (you just have to sign up for a BA account to be able to search). To book an IB award with AA miles, you'll have to call AA reservations.

There isn't anything else you can do online that shows anything more - it will show what's available for those partners that AA displays online.

But it is too early to see availability for your dates, and picking other random dates isn't necessarily going to reflect what ends up being available for your future dates...though generally BA's fuel surcharges will mean their seats are not snatched up as quickly.

Your best bet, as with any award program, is to be as flexible as you can as with departure and arrival locations and times and keep checking once availability begins to open up for your date ranges. As mentioned above is you're visiting other places in Italy you may want to look at in/out of different cities. Or worst case, even consider taking the train from another city which can be a reasonable alternative if you just can't find anything directly to FCO.

Thanks again to all!
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:59 pm

Unhappy Arrghhh!

What is the best way to get two premium class tickets out of MCO to Rome on 9/15/15 and returning on 9/25/15. I noticed that most of the flight to Rome (via somewhere else in Europe) leaves out of PHI. I know it's early and one cannot see those flights yet, but I just want to become educated before those fares are released. Furthermore when the first outgoing fares opens up, I know will I be able to only book outbound flight only until the inbound (FCO to MCO) opens up.

This trip is to celebrate our 25th anniversary and we are excited to see Rome for the first time. Any insight and clues are appreciated here. Thanks for any helps. FYI, I hae been using the AA website to get an idea of the fares that are available now for travel 8/4/2015, as an example of what the points/fare availability will be for us

Points available
AA: 360,000
Mariott: 210,000

The dates for this flight has now open up, but I'm still having problems booking this flight w/ miles. I did noticed that on certain days the flights open up on AA.com and then close up and the process repeat itself a few times during the week (but no new one connection with AA miles savers awards). Most business or first class Milesavers Awards has two connections or more, which is way too much (greater chance for lost luggages etc).

As a rookie in this game, I can safety say AA award travel using miles are way too difficult to use on Transatlantic Flights; unless you want to go AAanytime award. Iberia and the one world Alliance also doesn't have the award flight available either. AA/BA are wide open, BUT with huge fees w. MCO>LHR>FCO. Any other recommendation?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
It is not flying directly into FCO but realize AA has MIA-MXP service (I am on AA 207 MXP-MIA tomorrow). Depending on your itinerary in Italy (just Rome or are you considering Florence, Venice...) you might want to consider one or more legs into/out of MXP (Milan Malpensa).
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Agree with checking MXP. It's a pleasant 2.5-3 hour train ride down to Rome from there, and you get nice views of the countryside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.