Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give a primer on Booking Classes? I am new to flying

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Hello FT community,

Can anyone be able to point me or give me an overview of booking classes and what they mean

Thank you in advance
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Each airline is a bit different. One booking fare code on Airline A doesn't always mean the same for another airline.

In general A & F typically signify First class, C & J for Business and Y for Economy.

For example http://cwsi.net/united.htm is a list of United Airlines codes.

Do you have specific airlines you fly often and would like to know about?

Also different program airlines for earning miles have different rates for each partner airlines. A P fare on UA might earn 100% on UA Mileage Plus but no miles on Aegean Miles & Bonus.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Adding on to what Yoshi said above, airlines use up quite a bit of the alphabet with various booking codes. The letter indicates the class of service you are booked into as well as the terms of your ticket: the discount percentage from full fare, the cancellation and change policies, and the mileage rates earned.

What all the letters mean is different for every airline. If there's one airline you're curious about, try reading some of the information on their website. Also check the specific forum here on FT. Many have detailed threads discussing what each of the code letters means.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

@darthbimmer and @Yoshi212 - Thank you - I was looking at United since I near ORD

@darthbimmer and @Yoshi212 - Thank you - I was looking at United since I near ORD
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Well that worked out well then. Just be wary of earning rates in different programs if you don't use Mileage Plus and the different rules for each kind of fare. If you're an elite member or plan on being one the rules change a bit giving you more opportunities also when particular fares are purchased.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.