Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

SouthWest Airlines

SouthWest Airlines

Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster

SouthWest Airlines

Hi,
One of my first cards i got trying to me a mile collector was to get the swa 120,000 miles and the companion pass.
The bottom line is that this is a good airline for certain parts of the country but not from NYC. Does anyone want to trade SWA and my comp pass for something similar in a different airline?

thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Such trades are not permitted on FT, AFAIK, except some types of arrangements on Coupon Connection but I don't really know the rules as I don't use that forum - I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in on that part.

But I'm really wondering, why did you obtain the Southwest card and accrue all of those points if you don't have a use for them?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:56 am

While you can give your Companion Pass away, trading airline miles violates the terms and conditions of most frequent flyer programs. You may not care if your Southwest frequent flyer membership is canceled by the airlines since you don't intend to fly on them, but you will care if your membership in whatever airline program you've traded your Southwest miles for is also shut down. The trade could potentially leave you with nothing.

Why not find a way to use up the Southwest miles you already have (you may be able to cash them in for something other than flights), or donate them to charity if you really don't want them?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by artemis
While you can give your Companion Pass away, trading airline miles violates the terms and conditions of most frequent flyer programs. You may not care if your Southwest frequent flyer membership is canceled by the airlines since you don't intend to fly on them, but you will care if your membership in whatever airline program you've traded your Southwest miles for is also shut down. The trade could potentially leave you with nothing.

Why not find a way to use up the Southwest miles you already have (you may be able to cash them in for something other than flights), or donate them to charity if you really don't want them?
Good advice indeed!

Also, I don't see how Southwest miles are of no value from NYC...there are lots of places to fly to on WN from that area. Even if they might not be your first choice it's still free travel since you already have the points in hand anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Good advice indeed!

Also, I don't see how Southwest miles are of no value from NYC...there are lots of places to fly to on WN from that area. Even if they might not be your first choice it's still free travel since you already have the points in hand anyway.
Southwest from LGA goes all over the US. Granted, that pier/concourse is a hellhole, but so is much of the rest of LGA.

If you are flying domestic, have someone to serve as a Companion, and don't mind economy, WN is the best deal going.

OP, come read in our WN forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.