Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Possible to book entirely codeshare travel? and other related?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF, SPG, UR,...

I'm a little new to FT so i'm not up to snuff with my lingo to do an effective search.

Is it possible to book an entirely codeshared trip? For example, to get from ORD to SIN, Singapore Air and All Nippon have codeshare so there is SQ5911 (NH11, ORD-NRT) and then SQ5901 (NH801, NRT-SIN). But seemingly I cannot find this option to book the NH-operated flights on SQ website. Is it way too expensive so it doesn't show up on their site? or is it not possible?

Although I'm interested from an SQ-centric POV (to get KF miles), my question is in general, rather than for the specific example given. Can you book, through the airline website or otherwise without a 3rd party (e.g. travel agent), air travel where all segments are codeshared?

Last edited by KardoPaska; Sep 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm Reason: added preemptive answer for "why would you want to do that"?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't need to book it as a codeshare to get SQ miles, as long as your ticket is booked in a fare class that is eligible for mileage accumulation on NH. For this, see the SQ website.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KardoPaska
Is it possible to book an entirely codeshared trip?

Although I'm interested from an SQ-centric POV (to get KF miles), my question is in general, rather than for the specific example given. Can you book, through the airline website or otherwise without a 3rd party (e.g. travel agent), air travel where all segments are codeshared?
Why do you specifically exclude buying from a third party?

To answer your general question, yes, it is absolutely possible to book an "entirely codeshared trip", but it should usually be easier to do this via a travel agent than from the codesharing airline themselves.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You don't need to book it as a codeshare to get SQ miles, as long as your ticket is booked in a fare class that is eligible for mileage accumulation on NH. For this, see the SQ website.
Not only "You don't need to book it as a codeshare" - in fact it is a huge disadvantage.

To make it a little more clear: The booking code on the operating carrier decides if you earn miles and how many or none at all.

If you book a codeshare, for example a SQ5911 in booking class Q, you usually do not know to which booking class on ANA this translates - in most cases it will not be the same but a different one. In the worst case you book a codeshare in a booking class which on SQ would earn 100% mileage but book into a booking class of the operating carrier which will earn zip.

I would be careful if the codeshare fare is significantly cheaper than the fare on the operating carrier - might be an indication for a very restricted booking class and you will end up without any miles credited,
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF, SPG, UR,...
interesting info. thx guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.