Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with stopovers: one-way award Europe to America, multi programs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Help with stopovers: one-way award Europe to America, multi programs

One thing I have yet to play around with is maximizing points by doing open jaws and stop overs and I was wondering if anyone could help me out as I'd like to incorporate them into my next trip but find the implementation a bit confusing.

Currently I'm living in Europe for a temporary job but the project is winding down and I would like to take about 3 weeks to travel around before heading home to the US. At the moment the plan is pretty general: to fly out of Vienna at the beginning of November, see as much of Spain/France and the rest of the west coast of Europe as possible while heading north up to Norway before meeting a friend in London and then going to New York City (maybe with a stopover in Iceland)

Since my ultimate aim is essentially a one way flight, Vienna to New York, are open jaws even possible? Possibly between some intermediate destinations like Brussels or Paris? Also I've read about people using stopovers to get a free one way later on, for instance with domestic flights or even South America. I am expecting to do some travel again in December either to Colorado or South America, is there a way to incorporate some part of either trip into this booking?

If it helps because I've read stopover policies differ, I am working with UR points, Avios, and/or American Airlines.

Many thanks!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 31, 2014 at 11:58 pm Reason: Title correction/clarification
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

The concept of "open jaw" does not apply to a one-way.

You can use your Avios for travel on Niki with no surcharges, and for travel on BA in or out of LON with a low co-pay if you qualify for a "Reward Flight Saver" redemption.
It's possible that Icelandic offers a free or low-cost stopover at KEF on a one-way cash ticket from Europe to NYC.

AA's one-way international awards used to offer a free North American "gateway" stopover. Unfortunately, AA did away with the gateway stopover option in April of this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.