Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Europe Award Flights Home - Need Advice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Need to get from ATH to JFK, want to fly first class (or a really nice business class) for the longest possible part of that, and I know that most (if not all) intra-Europe flights will be economy only. Anybody have ideas on what the shortest intra-Europe flight would be to get me to a city that I could fly directly back to NY from (on an award)? I have more than enough points with either Chase or Amex to transfer to various programs, and 60k United miles as well.

I should add that we're already getting to Europe via Singapore Suites award, so I don't really need to do something THAT extravagant on the way back (although if it makes sense points-wise, I suppose why not).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
ATH-IST-JFK on TK (via Amex/UR to UA or AP)? Really nice business class with a chef on board. Probably one of the shortest routings in Euro business (334 miles, 1h30m) before transferring to International Business - and TK often flies proper "business" (pretty much domestic US first) class to their short-haul Euro destinations.

ATH-DOH-JFK on QR (BA points via Amex/UR), ATH-FRA/MUC-JFK on LH (via Amex points to either Aeroplan or UA), ATH-FRA-JFK on SQ F or J for the FRA-JFK (SQ points via Amex/UR) part are all possibilities.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP
IST is the answer to your question, but IB does have business class ATH-MAD and you could continue on IB or AA to JFK.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Nevermind - I get an "F" in reading comprehension tonight...

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 84fiero
DL has a non-stop ATH-JFK, transfer from MR points.
But until next year, DL will charge the roundtrip mileage for a one-way award.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Any good short alternatives that don't route through a middle-eastern (i.e. potentially non-American-friendly) country? I know Turkey is technically partially in Europe, but there is a fair amount of unrest there and anti-American sentiment, and I had been considering booking a long layover and exploring whatever city I transfer in. Not sure I really want to do that in Istanbul at the moment.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Just look at the ATH airport Wikipedia entry for a list of all cities with nonstop service from ATH. If you're not willing to go via IST, then LH via Germany is probably your best bet, although ATH-Germany is a considerably longer flight than ATH-IST.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aeg42
Any good short alternatives that don't route through a middle-eastern (i.e. potentially non-American-friendly) country? I know Turkey is technically partially in Europe, but there is a fair amount of unrest there and anti-American sentiment, and I had been considering booking a long layover and exploring whatever city I transfer in. Not sure I really want to do that in Istanbul at the moment.
IST is quite safe, have had a few friends backpacking there this summer and they didn't have any issues whatsoever in regards to anti-American sentiment and unrest. And most of the unrest is centered on their government issues, rather than anti-Americanisms...

Or pretend to be Canadian, it seems to work to deflect attention.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aeg42
No airline that has a decent F or J cabin is based in a country that can be considered any more 'non-American friendly' than the average anywhere else in the world. It's not like you're going to be flying on Air Somalia
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much, guys.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:48 pm

you could also fly LH F back...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by guv1976

But until next year, DL will charge the roundtrip mileage for a one-way award.
Oops! I glossed right over the one-way part of the OP. Thanks for catching that guv1976. Disregard my DL suggestion, aeg42 sorry!

As for IST it's perfectly safe and one of my favorite cities! Very friendly and hospitable people throughout Turkey, never experienced any issues as an American there. I'm not really sure what anti-American sentiment exists there that would be any cause for concern, certainly no risk in transiting for a connecting flight.

For that matter none of the other ME suggestions upthread would concern me either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.