Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Book refundable ticket as backup until award becomes available?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold

I've already booked 2 business class tix with companion voucher on BA to LHR but because of ZERO availability from my home airport I've had to book alternate airport. LHR is not my final destination, ATH is. The ATH flights aren't available with miles yet and from the looks of it, probably won't be for months (for my date in July 2015). I have no wiggle room. It has to be a certain flight on a certain day, otherwise I'll have to take Aegean.

Now the questions. If I book a refundable ticket, would I be able to cancel it if it flight becomes available with miles? If it doesn't become available with miles, can I cancel it and book a non-refundable ticket?

I just have no idea what restrictions the airlines have on refundable tickets as I have never purchased one.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by slhansen219
Now the questions. If I book a refundable ticket, would I be able to cancel it if it flight becomes available with miles? If it doesn't become available with miles, can I cancel it and book a non-refundable ticket?

I just have no idea what restrictions the airlines have on refundable tickets as I have never purchased one.
Generally, a refundable ticket can be cancelled at any time, and you should get a full refund. Then you can book a non-refundable ticket (or an award ticket) if you wish.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Generally, a refundable ticket can be cancelled at any time, and you should get a full refund. Then you can book a non-refundable ticket (or an award ticket) if you wish.
So there is no waiting period or anything if it's the exact same flight and class?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Book refundable ticket?

It depends what type of refundable ticket you buy. A full fare ticket typically is, but read the conditions carefully before you pay. Do you know what fare class you gave been offered?

Note as well that award availability can be there and gone in an instant. You need to act quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I'm not sure what you mean by a waiting period. There is no waiting period - you cancel the refundable ticket and request a refund and purchase the non-refundable ticket immediately. You could even do an exchange and request a refund for the difference. But in either case, it will probably take at least 2-4 weeks for the refund to clear your credit card account.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It depends what type of refundable ticket you buy. A full fare ticket typically is, but read the conditions carefully before you pay. Do you know what fare class you gave been offered?

Note as well that award availability can be there and gone in an instant. You need to act quickly.
Haven't been offered anything... Just came up with this contingency plan last night. I'm still hoping to change my flights to and from LAX. Award flights are extremely rare in business... So I had to book out of PHX and into JFK. I can easily just buy a tix to PHX and use AA miles from JFK. Believe me, I've checked every feasible airport! My dates are fixed +/- 1 or 2 days as they are for a cruise. I'm waiting a couple months just in case some better award flights appear. Happy to pay the low change fee. I snapped these flights before someone else had the chance because I am well aware that they could be gone in an instant! And these flights, although not ideal, are doable!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I'm not sure what you mean by a waiting period. There is no waiting period - you cancel the refundable ticket and request a refund and purchase the non-refundable ticket immediately. You could even do an exchange and request a refund for the difference. But in either case, it will probably take at least 2-4 weeks for the refund to clear your credit card account.
By waiting period, I meant... Do you have to wait 24 or 48 hours before you can rebook the same flight in the same class? So, it sounds like you can cancel a refundable and book an award or non refundable ticket on the same phone call! That would be awesome! Then I'd be guaranteed to have my flight... And could just hold out for a better price! I'm not concerned about how long the refund takes... As long as I get it!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:55 am

Be careful not booking all flights together. If you arrive late in LHR and miss your flight to ATH you will need to buy new tickets paying walk up price, probably C class. Allow sufficient time for the connection, or if possible book all on one itinerary.

Espacially in your case as you need to be at the cruise ship on time.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
Be careful not booking all flights together. If you arrive late in LHR and miss your flight to ATH you will need to buy new tickets paying walk up price, probably C class. Allow sufficient time for the connection, or if possible book all on one itinerary.

Espacially in your case as you need to be at the cruise ship on time.
Oh... I am so freaked out about this already! We always plan at least a 3 hr layover at LHR. The flight we must take to ATH is the only BA flight that leaves after we arrive. Plenty of time.... But I'm freaked out! What if they cancel? It arrives in ATH at 3:45 am... A hideous time and then an hour drive to the port. But the ship doesn't depart until 8:00 pm. So I suppose there are early morning flights that would still get us to ATH in time. Not so worried about the trip home.

Still hoping for that magical LAX to LHR flight to appear and fix everything!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Oh... I am so freaked out about this already! We always plan at least a 3 hr layover at LHR. The flight we must take to ATH is the only BA flight that leaves after we arrive. Plenty of time.... But I'm freaked out! What if they cancel? It arrives in ATH at 3:45 am... A hideous time and then an hour drive to the port. But the ship doesn't depart until 8:00 pm. So I suppose there are early morning flights that would still get us to ATH in time. Not so worried about the trip home.

Still hoping for that magical LAX to LHR flight to appear and fix everything!
Award seats can open up at any time, it won't necessarily be months out before they do, although it could be. What carrier are you planning to fly if you redeem miles?

Three hours is insufficient time to plan for a separately booked onward ticket after a TATL flight, especially with a cruise departing at a fixed time and it being the last flight. Usually with separate tickets the airline has no responsibility to accommodate you on your next flight if you're late on the inbound. Although if both are oneworld carriers, they will treat it as if booked together, that doesn't guarantee the next available flight (the following day) with seats available would get you to the cruise on time.

I'd at least see what other options are out there to get from LHR to ATH, and not be constrained to just that one BA flight LHR-ATH. Make sure you have good trip insurance.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Award seats can open up at any time, it won't necessarily be months out before they do, although it could be. What carrier are you planning to fly if you redeem miles?

Three hours is insufficient time to plan for a separately booked onward ticket after a TATL flight, especially with a cruise departing at a fixed time and it being the last flight. Usually with separate tickets the airline has no responsibility to accommodate you on your next flight if you're late on the inbound. Although if both are oneworld carriers, they will treat it as if booked together, that doesn't guarantee the next available flight (the following day) with seats available would get you to the cruise on time.

I'd at least see what other options are out there to get from LHR to ATH, and not be constrained to just that one BA flight LHR-ATH. Make sure you have good trip insurance.
I've booked with BA using my companion voucher so of course I plan to take the BA flight and then i can add it to the booking. I can't remember the exact layover time between these flight... It's just a rule of thumb... Minimum 3 hrs at LHR. Usually more like 4 because I know I have to exit and go through passport check and security again. Thank goodness we always fly business now... Shorter lines. Contingency is Aegean. I'm sure it's not in T5 so that would just add to the stress.

It's a year away, so I still have time and I'm checking daily. I actually wanted to depart a day earlier, but the PHX flight showed up and I thought I better snag it while I could. Still hoping for LAX but haven't seen any availability since I booked my sep 1 & 12 tix last Oct. now that stupid volcano may ruin my girlfriend trip!

Btw. What does TATL mean?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:06 am

Transatlantic = TATL

Anyway, are you sure you can mix a payed and a reward booking on one itinerary? That should give you some comfort but I have never heard an airline doing it. Anyway, if the tickets are separate allow 4 hours at least at LHR.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:09 am

TATL = Trans-Atlantic.

Since this is one year out, there is a very high chance that flight schedules will change - so all your 3 hour connection could be wiped out.

For tickets this far out, always always book on the same PNR otherwise schedule changes in early 2015 will wreck havoc with your plans. I can't recall the last time tickets I bought this far in advance weren't schedule changed.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noamaan
TATL = Trans-Atlantic.

Since this is one year out, there is a very high chance that flight schedules will change - so all your 3 hour connection could be wiped out.

For tickets this far out, always always book on the same PNR otherwise schedule changes in early 2015 will wreck havoc with your plans. I can't recall the last time tickets I bought this far in advance weren't schedule changed.
OK... now what is PNR? I'm learning stuff today!!

Yes... I have had flights change dramatically... WORST WORST case basis... I cancel everything and book with $$$$. Hope it doesn't come to that... but that is always an option. I'm just trying to get the best deal possible and am booking what is available now with the hopes I can get what I really want later... Non Stop LAX to LHR to ATH & return from FCO to LHR to LAX. I'm not even worrying about the return because I don't have a cruise to catch at home!!!

BTW... I just looked at the connection time between the PHX to LHR & the LHR to ATH flights and it is over 7 hours... so I think that would probably be no problem... unless, of course, a volcano in Iceland decides to erupt that week!!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I've booked with BA using my companion voucher so of course I plan to take the BA flight and then i can add it to the booking. I can't remember the exact layover time between these flight... It's just a rule of thumb... Minimum 3 hrs at LHR. Usually more like 4 because I know I have to exit and go through passport check and security again. Thank goodness we always fly business now... Shorter lines. Contingency is Aegean. I'm sure it's not in T5 so that would just add to the stress.

It's a year away, so I still have time and I'm checking daily. I actually wanted to depart a day earlier, but the PHX flight showed up and I thought I better snag it while I could. Still hoping for LAX but haven't seen any availability since I booked my sep 1 & 12 tix last Oct. now that stupid volcano may ruin my girlfriend trip!

Btw. What does TATL mean?
I'm maybe confused - when you keep referring to booking the award flight if it opens up, I thought you meant the overseas flight (PHX-LHR and LHR-JFK) - do you mean just the LHR-ATL or that in addition to the main flight?

Not sure what program's miles you'd be using for the US to LHR flights, but you are aware of the high fees and fuel surcharges if it's redeemed on BA metal?

OK... now what is PNR? I'm learning stuff today!!

Yes... I have had flights change dramatically... WORST WORST case basis... I cancel everything and book with $$$$. Hope it doesn't come to that... but that is always an option. I'm just trying to get the best deal possible and am booking what is available now with the hopes I can get what I really want later... Non Stop LAX to LHR to ATH & return from FCO to LHR to LAX. I'm not even worrying about the return because I don't have a cruise to catch at home!!!

BTW... I just looked at the connection time between the PHX to LHR & the LHR to ATH flights and it is over 7 hours... so I think that would probably be no problem... unless, of course, a volcano in Iceland decides to erupt that week!!
If it's on one PNR (reservation) and there are adequate alternates available if you still miss that LHR-ATH flight, yes. If booked separately and/or no good alternatives the next day to ATH, I wouldn't chance it with a cruise hanging in the balance, but that's me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.