Wiki Posts
Search

Finding a seatmate

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
But there is a "right" way that it could be done: At OP's request, DL theoretically could contact the mystery gentleman and provide him with OP's contact info and brief message ("I was the person seated next to you on this flight; please contact me if you'd like to continue our conversation"), which he would then be free to act on or ignore. This is SOP in any professional situation when someone asks to be put in touch with a third party to whom privacy is owed: The one who seeks to initiate contact is the one whose info is shared.

AFAIK, doing so at OP's request (without revealing anything to OP about the pax) would not violate DL's obligations, so it is "merely" a matter of making it worth DL's while. If OP really wants it, perhaps a business attorney who has airline industry contacts and experience negotiating one-off deals could help. Airlines, like all companies, presumably make lawful private deals all the time if the price is right.

There is some $ offer amount ($100K? $1M?), put in front of the right office at DL, that would have them sit up and take notice of the opportunity to pad the company coffers by humoring OP, assuming that the request is lawful. That is, large enough that they would fear being dinged by their bosses or shareholders for ignoring the revenue opportunity. Unfortunately this is probably more than OP is willing to spend.

Another option is to hire an experienced private investigator to see if there is any chance that more clues can be gathered through public records and voluntary interviews, starting from whatever OP does remember.
If you are asking whether DL could lawfully offer such a service, I suppose that it could. I am trying to think of something more brand-damaging which a company engaged in one business could do to itself.

Maybe that passenger would be thrilled. Maybe he was traveling to a funeral, cheating on his wife and doesn't want her to know, otherwise had a bad trip and takes the DL outreach the wrong way and switches to a competitor.

I have to presume that the HVC's who are the core of DL's profitability want a safe & clean aircraft piloted by professionals. If they want a confidential dating service, they can sign up for that.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I seem to remember vaguely that for some time KLM was testing a social media app that allowed one to either get in contact with somebody on an flight or chose a seatmate based on some criteria. I think I saw it in a KLM flight magazine. No idea whether that went anywhere and/or is still around.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by drminn
I seem to remember vaguely that for some time KLM was testing a social media app that allowed one to either get in contact with somebody on an flight or chose a seatmate based on some criteria. I think I saw it in a KLM flight magazine. No idea whether that went anywhere and/or is still around.
https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/pre...t_and_seat.htm

Last edited by FlyingEgghead; Aug 18, 2017 at 10:59 am Reason: Make proper link
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Plat
I think that if a person wanted to be contacted after a flight, he would have provided his contact information to you. Barring, this, I think it is safe to assume that he does not wish to be contacted.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are asking whether DL could lawfully offer such a service, I suppose that it could. I am trying to think of something more brand-damaging which a company engaged in one business could do to itself.

Maybe that passenger would be thrilled. Maybe he was traveling to a funeral, cheating on his wife and doesn't want her to know, otherwise had a bad trip and takes the DL outreach the wrong way and switches to a competitor.

I have to presume that the HVC's who are the core of DL's profitability want a safe & clean aircraft piloted by professionals. If they want a confidential dating service, they can sign up for that.
Indeed, these are reasons DL might reject a deal. There is a limit, though: For $19B, one can buy a controlling stake in Delta Air Lines, Inc., and get what one wants. So it's just a question of how much the price can come down from there.

Everyone else here just said "no, can't be done", so I wrote what I might constructively attempt as a way to get in touch with the pax if my life depended on it.

I don't know that receiving an unexpected communication from an airline is all that brand-damaging. A pax has to have a way (e.g., email) to be notified about the reservation in the first place, and sometimes there are follow-up surveys, so if the flight itself is a "secret" the pax has to consider that.
Lindross likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
They're trying to run an airline, not be Tinder v2.

But there is a "right" way that it could be done: At OP's request, DL theoretically could contact the mystery gentleman and provide him with OP's contact info and brief message ("I was the person seated next to you on this flight; please contact me if you'd like to continue our conversation"), which he would then be free to act on or ignore. This is SOP in any professional situation when someone asks to be put in touch with a third party to whom privacy is owed: The one who seeks to initiate contact is the one whose info is shared.

AFAIK, doing so at OP's request (without revealing anything to OP about the pax) would not violate DL's obligations, so it is "merely" a matter of making it worth DL's while. If OP really wants it, perhaps a business attorney who has airline industry contacts and experience negotiating one-off deals could help. Airlines, like all companies, presumably make lawful private deals all the time if the price is right.

There is some $ offer amount ($100K? $1M?), put in front of the right office at DL, that would have them sit up and take notice of the opportunity to pad the company coffers by humoring OP, assuming that the request is lawful. That is, large enough that they would fear being dinged by their bosses or shareholders for ignoring the revenue opportunity. Unfortunately this is probably more than OP is willing to spend.

Another option is to hire an experienced private investigator to see if there is any chance that more clues can be gathered through public records and voluntary interviews, starting from whatever OP does remember.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It might not be romantic.

Maybe OP changed her mind and decided he actually does to buy the life insurance that her seat opponent was selling.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by LondonElite
They're trying to run an airline, not be Tinder v2.
Or Stalker v2.
I'd be pretty creeped out if an airline contacted me about this kind of thing.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:19 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I'd say there's some strange Serendipity or Synchronicity right here -- you're posting to a 3-year-old thread just 2 days after a new thread was started in this same forum on the same topic. The answers there might be of interest:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ne-flight.html
I'll merge these two together.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Indeed, these are reasons DL might reject a deal. There is a limit, though: For $19B, one can buy a controlling stake in Delta Air Lines, Inc., and get what one wants. So it's just a question of how much the price can come down from there.

Everyone else here just said "no, can't be done", so I wrote what I might constructively attempt as a way to get in touch with the pax if my life depended on it.

I don't know that receiving an unexpected communication from an airline is all that brand-damaging. A pax has to have a way (e.g., email) to be notified about the reservation in the first place, and sometimes there are follow-up surveys, so if the flight itself is a "secret" the pax has to consider that.
Rather than being silly about this, why not read DL's privacy policy.

Even a DL employee with access to the information would be violating that policy and subjecting herself and DL to close to certain liability if she were to use the information for a purpose which DL does not specify in its policy.

Bottom line is that the information was not collected for the purpose the OP wants it used for an DL cannot, without creating liability for itself, use the information for another purpose.

Silly hypotheticals won't change that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Or Stalker v2.
I'd be pretty creeped out if an airline contacted me about this kind of thing.
Indeed. It's quite odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.