Wiki Posts
Search

Planning for a European Winter Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G, QR Gold, VA Gold, NZ Gold
Planning for a European Winter Trip

Hi guys I am planning to go to US and Europe for Christmas.

My plan is to visit my relatives in NYC during Christmas time and New Year and see the great NYE at Time Square. All figured out except for my European trip before Christmas.

I have 25 days in Europe but I've got no idea how winter would be in Europe. Im planning to allocate 28 Nov to 23 Dec to see Europe.

Anyone can help me which places to see for the following:
1. Christmas Village, Festivals and the Market - Germany, Vienna, Czech?
2. Possibly enjoy a quick stopover in Nordic region for Skiing and possibly see Aurora if I'm lucky - Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden?
3. Spend relaxing time sightseeing and enjoying the culture and of course food. Greece, Turkey or Spain?

I am still on planning stage but would love to get some ideas. Also, I come from down under where my region does not snow so it would be quite an adjustment for me so I want to avoid freezing cold rainy or places which might have blizzard..
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
A comment on #1. The best-known Christmas market is in Nuernberg, though the one in Munich (which I've been to) is also quite good.

Overall, I'd suggest that you not try to do too much in a short period of time. 25 days may seem like a lot, but you won't want to spend all your time on trains and planes.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by scrappydog
Also, I come from down under where my region does not snow so it would be quite an adjustment for me so I want to avoid freezing cold rainy or places which might have blizzard..
Then you should try to avoid the Nordics

Last few years were not that cold and bad in November/December but it can be pretty unpleasant here from time to time.

Assuming you are talking about downhill skiing rather than cross country consider that mountains are only to be found in Norway (very expensive) or Nothern Sweden. A quite famous Skiiing area is Ċre. Finland has a little bit of Skiiing but the mountains are not very high and impressive in my point of view. I would prefer France, Swiss, Italian or Austrian Alps, also it is much more practical to go there if you want to see a Christmas market in Southern Germany (as said Nürnberg is great or try Salzburg in Austria). Also some of the ski areas there are so high up in the mountains on glaciers that you are not really depend on the weather.

For the Aurora you best go to Hammerfest or Kiruna which are reachable by plane but it is hard to predict when you will have the chance to see it. So, you might need to be pretty flexible and also willing to spend some real money to book a last minute flight if the weather is promising. In general Norway is crazy expensive, Sweden isn't that cheap as well but compared to our neighbors lots of things like hotels or food are really affordable
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:34 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Really cold in Europe which hurts the fun I would check out the other side of the world ( Australia or Thailand)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JPG3392
A comment on #1. The best-known Christmas market is in Nuernberg, though the one in Munich (which I've been to) is also quite good.

Overall, I'd suggest that you not try to do too much in a short period of time. 25 days may seem like a lot, but you won't want to spend all your time on trains and planes.
I agree. Rothenberg (on the Romantik Road) also has a famous Christmas market and year round Christmas stores. Munich and Vienna are magical around Christmas (so is Paris). You could take the train for the scenery and stop for a few days in Salzburg. Heidelberg and Freiberg would be fun around Christmas too. Or try to visit a less well known and more local Christmas markets, in smaller towns, such as Bonn.

If you can, try to stay (or at least stop for a drink or tea) at some of the iconic historic palace hotels (Imperial in Vienna, Crilllion, Plaza Athenee and others in Paris, etc.) to see their Christmas decorations. Old churches and cathedrals often have interesting antique Christmas decorations as well as special musical performances. Candlelight can make it special. Touristic castles can also show Christmas decorations representative of their time.

Don't miss the special seasonal foods either, such as goose in Vienna and wild game in Germany, as well as the special pastries.

Remember that northern Europe has short dark days at this time of the year. It can be depressing.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Really cold in Europe which hurts the fun I would check out the other side of the world ( Australia or Thailand)
Have you ever been in Europe for Christmas? I wouldn't give up the experience for a tropical beach vacation.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
The OP, who's from Sydney, has probably already checked out Australia.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:34 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
If you are Australian I understand the fascination then hmm Also look into Eastern Europe (cheap)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you planning to go with miles? Better start looking into flights now, as Australia to Europe/US is very busy that time of year.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply guys. Im actualy traveling in 2015 but will buy tickets a year ahead cos I have OCD when it comes to planning my trip well.

Im buying tickets not using miles. Might use some miles on domestic flights in Spain.

Im removing Nordic for now but focusing on Germany, Austria, Swiss Alps.

How about Spain? Is it good to travel during winter?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you ever been in Europe for Christmas? I wouldn't give up the experience for a tropical beach vacation.
I havent been to a white Christmas before. . Normally we hit the beach and have some bbq and beer with mates.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
The OP, who's from Sydney, has probably already checked out Australia.
Yes I have been to every corner of Australia. I need another continent to conquer! lol
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Nuernberg sounds appealing to me. I have been to Munich before but it was during Autumn. I will research this including the logistics but the idea for me is to use the European Airpass of Star Alliance to go through different parts of Europe.

Originally Posted by fassy
I would prefer France, Swiss, Italian or Austrian Alps, also it is much more practical to go there if you want to see a Christmas market in Southern Germany (as said Nürnberg is great or try Salzburg in Austria).
Thank you for this. I will definitely want to go to Swiss Alps - Lucerne is that right?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. Rothenberg (on the Romantik Road) also has a famous Christmas market and year round Christmas stores. Munich and Vienna are magical around Christmas (so is Paris). You could take the train for the scenery and stop for a few days in Salzburg. Heidelberg and Freiberg would be fun around Christmas too. Or try to visit a less well known and more local Christmas markets, in smaller towns, such as Bonn.

If you can, try to stay (or at least stop for a drink or tea) at some of the iconic historic palace hotels (Imperial in Vienna, Crilllion, Plaza Athenee and others in Paris, etc.) to see their Christmas decorations. Old churches and cathedrals often have interesting antique Christmas decorations as well as special musical performances. Candlelight can make it special. Touristic castles can also show Christmas decorations representative of their time.

Don't miss the special seasonal foods either, such as goose in Vienna and wild game in Germany, as well as the special pastries.

Remember that northern Europe has short dark days at this time of the year. It can be depressing.
Gosh reading your comment makes me want to do this Europe Winter trip this year... Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Nürnberg (or Nuremberg in English) has the most famous Christmas market, and that in Munich is not bad either, but any German city/town with a population of over 300,000 will have a significant Christmas market. The more 'traditional-looking' ones are in the south. An exception is in Frankfurt, which generally has a pretty poor show I find. Try Augsburg, Ulm, Freiburg, etc.

The entry to the Swiss Alps can really be anywhere, not necessarily Lucerne. Depending on how late in the year you leave it, you may wish to rent a car and drive through one of the mountain passes (closed in winter with snowfall).
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Prague also has nice christmas markets and Prague itself is well worth a visit.
There are lots of christmas lights all over - very beautiful and cheery when it is dark. I went there last december and enjoyed.
If you go to Vienna, consider a day trip to Bratislava ( one hour train trip ), they also have christmas markets. As said earlier Germany is full of christmas markets.
Note : If you stick with the planned dates you should be ok but if you go earlier you should check when the different markets start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.