Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

What FF Number should I list for a CX flight?

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR

I'm taking my first CX flight LAX-MNL (stops in Hong Kong) in Sept. A business travel agent is handling the reservations. The FF # on the eticket receipt is for NZ.

I'm confused about how this will work. I have AE Plat and have used my AE points to purchase tickets or upgrades for Virgin Atlantic LAX-London - and would do this again as that's a great jumping off point. By using NZ as the FF#, am I able to take those new points and convert them to Virgin Atlantic?

How can I best use the points for this long flight for a future trip?

Last edited by onebigworld; Jul 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm Reason: corrected for "Manila"
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Do you have an Air NZ account? According to their website you can only earn Air NZ points on Cathay for HKG to NZ, so you will not be eligible to earn points on your trip.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/co-op...cathay-pacific

By AE Plat do you mean American Express? You can't earn MR points by flying, only through purchase.

Do you collect frequent flyer miles in any programs currently? You can credit the CX flights to any oneworld program or certain CX partners.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:17 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
LAX-MAN via HKG...service does not start until December HKG-MAN

Giving Class of service might help.

Just thought maybe OP means MNL
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UncleDude
LAX-MAN via HKG...service does not start until December HKG-MAN

Giving Class of service might help.

Just thought maybe OP means MNL
You must be right. That would be a bizarre flight to take unless you were a trip report junkie.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:40 am
Suspended

Ok, there's a lot going on here.

I suspect to you are flying to Manila (rather than Manchester, UK), on CX via HKG. As previously posted, you can't earn with NZ on this route (and not on VS - Virgin either). American Express earns points only through purchase (and these can be redeemed for travel).

Generally you would be best crediting these miles to a CX AsiaMiles account. Do you have one? If not, you may want to consider opening one. If not, do you have another OneWorld account? BA for example? If you live in the US (and even if you don't) you may wish to consider an AA account as you can earn an redeem miles for flights - generally - easier than with other programmes.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The biggest question is what fare class are you in? CX is notorious for giving out 0 miles on many economy fare classes (as I've found out while booking an HKG - SIN RT later this year on CX).

If in Y, there are a limited number of programs where you can get something (BA gets 25% on most Y fare buckets where AA gets 0% on all non full B / Y fare buckets)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Sorry, I made the correction - it is Manila and l class. I live in the US. I only mentioned AE Plat because that's the only way I've ever used points to purchase or upgrade a ticket before. When it comes to overseas flights, I need to go business class (flat seats). Europe and Africa are my favorite destinations.

I'm not a member of CX AsiaMiles or OneWorld.

So this is probably obvious, but I'm getting that I should open an AA account and let the travel agent know to change the ticket so that is the FF number on my ticket reservation?

Last edited by onebigworld; Jul 25, 2014 at 6:59 pm Reason: The class is listed as BUSINESS / l
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onebigworld
Sorry, I made the correction - it is Manila and J class. I live in the US. I only mentioned AE Plat because that's the only way I've ever used points to purchase or upgrade a ticket before. When it comes to overseas flights, I need to go business class (flat seats). Europe and Africa are my favorite destinations.

I'm not a member of CX AsiaMiles or OneWorld.

So this is probably obvious, but I'm getting that I should open an AA account and let the travel agent know to change the ticket so that is the FF number on my ticket reservation?
Yeah depends what you want with it. J will earn across OW. On AA it'll give you a good amount but nothing spectacular. On BA it'll give you enough for a few direct domestic Y flights that are less than 651 miles (if you live on the East Coast I'd go BA since the same miles on BA will go further than the same on AA - BA uses a distance-based program compared to AA's region based).

Of course if you're chasing status the calculus changes.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

So I looked at the receipt again and I was wrong - it is BUSINESS / l - that looks like a lower case L to me. So maybe a discounted fare. I noticed Cathay had a discount going, which is good for the company bringing me out.

I live on the west coast (LAX the closest airport). I would prefer using ff points for trips from lax to europe or Africa in business class.

I don't think status is the immediate goal.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this about miles to a OneWorld airline ffp look and ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
As above, AA or BA, is the best choice for you as an USA resident. You probably have an I fare: discounted business.

And Air NZ is about the worst ffp there is.

Edit
Worth looking at Alaska due to its many partner airlines, including CX
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners
Earning on Cathay Pacific
business Class Cabin: Earn actual flight miles* flown in J, C, D, or I classes of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 26, 2014 at 3:49 am
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Class BUSINESS / l (that is exactly what the receipt says, but I believe Mwenenzi is correct - that it is discounted business I as Cathay had/has a special discounted sale going on now.

Mwenenzi, thank you very much for that link.

Last edited by onebigworld; Jul 28, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Old Jul 26, 2014, 1:56 am
Suspended

'I' will earn miles on CX, AA, and BA, among others.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Alaska is a partner you might want to look into.
I use them for my BA, AA, DL & CX flights as they are not my primary airlines but combined i'll get enough for reward ticket(s).
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah I forgot about Alaska (knew you could redeem but forgot you could earn). That actually is a good reminder for me - didn't realize that L and V earned 50% on Alaska - looks like that's where my HKG - SIN flights will be going later this year
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Yoshi, London, and flyer. Alaska does look good. Ideally, I would want to ultimately use the miles on an airline that has pods in business class going from the US to Johannesburg. And if I can transfer points to the ff program from my AE Plat points, that would be ideal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.