Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline for award flights HKG<>JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Hi, I want to use my points for award flight between HKG to JFK.. which airline partner has the best business class for around 85,000 pts ? Or is there anything first class for approximately same amount of pts ?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by agb1a
Hi, I want to use my points for award flight between HKG to JFK.. which airline partner has the best business class for around 85,000 pts ? Or is there anything first class for approximately same amount of pts ?
I'm assuming United miles here. Business on a partner will cost 80K, First on United will cost 80K. First on a partner would cost you 130K so you don't have enough for that. Your most likely options for availability will be Asiana, ANA, Air China, and EVA. This is all one-way. If you need round trip (it wasn't clear from your post), you don't have enough for round trip premium class.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
OP - Can you clarify whether you mean UR points or something else (United miles, etc)? Also, are you looking for a one way ticket or round trip?

Lastly, if you are talking about UR points, are you dead set on using the UR points for an AWARD ticket, by transferring the points to miles on a partner airline and then booking an award ticket, or do you just need to end up with a ticket in exchange for your points?

I'm thinking that it might be better to search for options using the UR travel site instead of going through the route of transferring to miles on a partner airline, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I'm thinking that it might be better to search for options using the UR travel site instead of going through the route of transferring to miles on a partner airline, etc.
85,000 Ultimate Rewards points are worth $1,062.50. I am not familiar with prices on routes between Asia and North America, but is that a realistic price for a one-way business class ticket HGK-JFK?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
OP, that's only enough miles for a one-way premium class ticket. Transfer the UR points to United, where you can book a business class ticket using 80k miles on EVA, Air China, Air Canada, Asiana, ANA, etc. (Star Alliance airlines). Or book a first class ticket on United metal for the same 80k miles.

Saver award availability will probably suck for that route, so beware. Also, you might want to consider applying for a 75k Citi AA Exec card (now that the 100k offer is gone), which will give you enough miles for a one way JFK-HKG first class ticket on Cathay Pacific.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Moving to ID since it's a general award question.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
85,000 Ultimate Rewards points are worth $1,062.50. I am not familiar with prices on routes between Asia and North America, but is that a realistic price for a one-way business class ticket HGK-JFK?
I would imagine unfortunately not since international O/Ws tend to be more than RTs.

As for the OP - if we're talking UR you could transfer to Singapore KrisFlyer and fly First (77Ws to no suites) from HKG - SFO for 70k + ~$115 one-way....

You'd have to pay to position to JFK from SFO but otherwise pretty solid option. Not sure what the RT is in business or from HKG all the way to JFK
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Hi, sorry I meant using ultimate reward points to for an one way award ticket ( transferring the points to miles on a partner airline and then booking an award ticket ). I'm not set on that, but isn't that the best way to use your points ? So from HKG to JFK, there won't be much available regardless of airline ? I was thinking of Singapore airlines .
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bribro
OP, that's only enough miles for a one-way premium class ticket. Transfer the UR points to United, where you can book a business class ticket using 80k miles on EVA, Air China, Air Canada, Asiana, ANA, etc. (Star Alliance airlines). Or book a first class ticket on United metal for the same 80k miles.

Saver award availability will probably suck for that route, so beware. Also, you might want to consider applying for a 75k Citi AA Exec card (now that the 100k offer is gone), which will give you enough miles for a one way JFK-HKG first class ticket on Cathay Pacific.
Why is United metal first class so much cheaper than the rest ?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Since the Feb2014 devaluation, United charges more for partner premium class tickets than their own metal.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Hi, sorry I meant using ultimate reward points to for an one way award ticket ( transferring the points to miles on a partner airline and then booking an award ticket ). I'm not set on that, but isn't that the best way to use your points ? So from HKG to JFK, there won't be much available regardless of airline ? I was thinking of Singapore airlines .
Yes, transferring your UR points to an airline partner is the best option and a much better value than booking a ticket through the UR site.

As for availability, when are you hoping to travel? that's a crucial consideration. Generally, the further in advance you book the better, up to a limit for most airlines of about 330 days in advance. The one general exception to this rule is that sometimes airlines release award seats again a week or two in advance. However, it can't hurt to keep checking if you have the time and patience.

I don't know all of the airlines' rules and how many miles are required, but I agree that your nicest option in terms of the quality of the airline would probably be to snag a Singapore Airlines SFO-HKG F seat if it's available. I'd suggest you google the various UR airlines partners' (United, British Airways, Korean and Virgin Atlantic) award charts to check on this.

Having said that...

Originally Posted by bribro

This is indeed good advice, if you have the time to get the card, spend the $7500 required to get the 75K AA miles that you can then use on Cathay Pacific, and secure an award seat. Cathay is one of the best airlines around and its F seats and service are great. Come to think of it, even if it's too late for this trip you might do this for future use if you ever hope to do this trip again down the line.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:11 pm

CX for sure with OneWorld
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:23 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Because it is really a better business class at best
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm confused about where the OP has his miles, but having flown to HGK a lot, I can tell you that transpac, the best airline in J and F (on current seats) is CX. By far. If you are going on UA, then I'd suggest going F unless you like stepping over someone if you're in a window seat.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'm confused about where the OP has his miles, but having flown to HGK a lot, I can tell you that transpac, the best airline in J and F (on current seats) is CX. By far. If you are going on UA, then I'd suggest going F unless you like stepping over someone if you're in a window seat.
I think OPs miles are URs which opens up CX (via BA), SQ (directly), KE or DL (via KE and just J for DL obviously), or UA and *A partners at the UA level.

I still think SQ is your best value - not sure what the Avios + surcharge would be for the BA redemption on CX (not on my computer to look it up at the moment).

You could also use SQ to SFO and cash / united (via UR) to get all the way to NYC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.