Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Class to Tokyo (NRT)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I have points across all programs, so I think I have most airlines available to me. Here is the information about what I am trying to do:

1. Two first class tickets Nashville to NRT (I could fly to Chicago using BA miles or L.A. using Southwest, etc. if I had to)
2. I would prefer to fly REASONABLY direct from the U.S. (rather not go to New Zealand for a layover or something)
3. Would want to leave sometime in mid-June or July of 2015.
4. The program doesn't HAVE to be the cheapest in points if there is a significantly better first class product but I won't go crazy and get ripped off in points either.

In general, I would like to hear what you folks think might be my best option for this trip. We flew Catchay Pacific first class from Chicago to Hong Kong and absolutely loved it and would love another experience of that type.

Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 8:45 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
If Singapore flies to nrt even indirect I would take them for the best first class
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:39 am

SQ or Asiana
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
If Singapore flies to nrt even indirect I would take them for the best first class
I thought they only released one first class at a time? Am I wrong about that?

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
SQ or Asiana
Interesting, I do not know much about Asiana first class. Better that Japan Airlines you think?

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Aug 3, 2014 at 1:36 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 20, 2014, 9:58 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Jl has the best business class btw if you get stuck in it
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I vote against Asiana. Flying from Nashville, you'll have at least one connection. If you want only one connection, and the domestic leg to be as short as possible, then fly to ORD, and then NRT on Japan Airlines.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Cubswin
SQ is rather consistently releasing 2 R seats at a time these days. Lots of availability for your desired mid-June/July dates. Best F product out there bar-none IMO but inconvenient because of the LAX connection.

I would say ANA for ORD-NRT can't be beat. The service is truly one of the best out there. But the downside is ANA seems to only release 1 seat and would rather let the rest of the cabin depart empty without releasing any more seats.

Haven't tried JL, but they do release 2 F seats on the ORD-NRT on a consistent basis.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:17 am

New A380 looks pretty special! Booked a couple of clients on it...very jealous. Working on gettibg myself on it when it comes out in the end of August
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tng11
SQ is rather consistently releasing 2 R seats at a time these days. Lots of availability for your desired mid-June/July dates. Best F product out there bar-none IMO but inconvenient because of the LAX connection.
I did not realize that they were releasing two now! Very interesting.......I don't mind the LAX connection much at all and have always wanted to fly on Singapore.

Do you find that availability is better using KrisFlyer points directly or is the availability the same booking through a Star Alliance partner?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I have points across all programs, so I think I have most airlines available to me. Here is the information about what I am trying to do:

1. Two first class tickets Nashville to NRT (I could fly to Chicago using BA miles or L.A. using Southwest, etc. if I had to)
2. I would prefer to fly REASONABLY direct from the U.S. (rather not go to New Zealand for a layover or something)
3. Would want to leave sometime in mid-June or July of 2015.
4. The program doesn't HAVE to be the cheapest in points if there is a significantly better first class product but I won't go crazy and get ripped off in points either.

In general, I would like to hear what you folks think might be my best option for this trip. We flew Catchay Pacific first class from Chicago to Hong Kong and absolutely loved it and would love another experience of that type.

Thanks!
You tiltle totally contradict with what you said.

There is no way to get best first class without using the maximum of miles. SQ Suites on A380 LAX-NRT is the best, but you have to spend extra miles for that.

Interesting, I do not know much about Asiana first class. Better that Japan Airlines you think?
Yes, and even if it is not OZ, I would choose NH over JL in F.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
New A380 looks pretty special! Booked a couple of clients on it...very jealous. Working on gettibg myself on it when it comes out in the end of August
That sounds amazing! I am trying to research where the A380s will be flying to/from right now

I didn't do a ton of research on Singapore because I didn't think they released two seats at once!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jl has the best business class btw if you get stuck in it
Really ? I think the majority of JL's planes still use Shell Flat Neo for C class instead of Skysuites on the 763 ?

You do know the Shell Flat Neo is an angle seat with 2-3-2 seating right ? Compare to NH majority of their 77W are Business Staggered with all aisle access.

That sounds amazing! I am trying to research where the A380s will be flying to/from right now

I didn't do a ton of research on Singapore because I didn't think they released two seats at once!
There is only one route SQ use the 380 to the US, which is SQ 11/12 LAX-NRT
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You tiltle totally contradict with what you said.

There is no way to get best first class without using the maximum of miles. SQ Suites on A380 LAX-NRT is the best, but you have to spend extra miles for that.

Yes, and even if it is not OZ, I would choose NH over JL in F.
I should try to clarify.

I meant that I don't would rather spend 100,000 points for a GREAT first class experience (for example) than 220,000 or something crazy for the absolute best.

BUT I don't mind spending say 120,00 for the absolute best (again, for example).

Long story short, I will spend more points if necessary but I don't wouldn't go insane with it just to fly one particular brand because I know there are several good choices to NRT

I probably should have left it out of my initial post in all honesty.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agp423
I vote against Asiana. Flying from Nashville, you'll have at least one connection. If you want only one connection, and the domestic leg to be as short as possible, then fly to ORD, and then NRT on Japan Airlines.
OZ's F product out of JFK and also LAX is exceptional, both JFK and LAX (one flight is a 380) have F suites that have doors to close for privacy, no one has similar hard product other than SQ and EK.

I haven't flown JL F personally, but base on trip reports and words of mouth, JL's F product is below par compare with SQ, OZ, CX, and NH.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Singapore.

SQ does occasionally release two Saver seats in advance, but more typically just one Saver. But they also usually release a separate LAX-SIN Saver seat. This will cost 20K or so more but still a lot cheaper than a LAX-NRT Standard award. Just don't re-board the plane for the NRT-SIN leg since all pax must deplane at NRT for security. That trick doesn't work as well on the return.

We did this in April. My SQ Suites LAX-NRT Trip Report.

NH is also excellent but very difficult to find 2 F award seats.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 20, 2014 at 11:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.