Best Award Flight, JFK to KUL - multiple programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.

So in December I am going to visit a friend in Malaysia. Have about 150k UR, 150k MR, and 150k AA miles.

In a perfect world, she prefers I stop in Doha first, and we both fly from Doha to KUL... but if this is out of the realm of possibility, or just doesn't make sense spending points wise, its ok.

What is the best route from the US to get to KUL to spend the least amount of points or get the best deal? I don't need to fly out of JFK, can be anywhere.

Want to be flying business/first for the trip.

Thanks so much for all the help, new to this!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
This post has been relocated from the Asia destination forum to the Information Desk where multi-program award questions are addressed.

Good luck!

~Moderator

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I would think Cathay Pacific (CX) using AA miles is definitely your best option, as you could fly JFK-HKG-KUL on one of the best first class (F) or business class (J) options around on one of the best airlines in the world. The F is something like 67.5K miles each way and the J is something like 55K from SFO; I'm almost sure it's the same from JFK, but you'd want to check on this. If there is availability in F, splurge with the extra miles to get it; as good as CX J is, F is well worth the relatively small extra charge.

The challenge will be securing a seat for December, which is doable but might require some consistent calling of AA by you or checking various websites such as BA or QF (or using a paid service such as awardnexus.com, which has limited free use for FT members and which for an extra charge will track and send you emails if award flights open up). The greatest availability is often 330 days in advance or very close to the departure date, but there are frequent exceptions to that rule.

Given your array of points/miles, there are lots of other options, but I'm almost certain the least costly points-wise will be AA across the Pacific on its One World Partners, such as CX, Japan Airlines (JL) or Malaysia Airlines (MH), though I don't think MH flies from JFK so you'd have to connect on AA to LAX (???) or some other US departure point. (Oops! Just saw the post below indicating MH doesn't fly from the US any more.) AA via DFW to HKG is yet another option, but again CX is far superior and unless its one of AA's new 777Ws you'd be stuck in a relatively poor seats if in J. (Of course, if award availability is constrained you could expand your options by booking one airline one way and another airline coming back.)

You also could fly American One World partner Qatar (QR) via Doha or other airlines via Europe or the Middle East, but I suspect it will cost you a lot more points to route that way. If you really wanted to splurge on another reportedly excellent F experience, AA (non-One World partner) Etihad will get you to HKG but your AA points will only be enough to fly one way (if even that).

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 18, 2014 at 11:00 am
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Westin
So in December I am going to visit a friend in Malaysia. Have about 150k UR, 150k MR, and 150k AA miles.

In a perfect world, she prefers I stop in Doha first, and we both fly from Doha to KUL... but if this is out of the realm of possibility, or just doesn't make sense spending points wise, its ok.

What is the best route from the US to get to KUL to spend the least amount of points or get the best deal? I don't need to fly out of JFK, can be anywhere.

Want to be flying business/first for the trip.

Thanks so much for all the help, new to this!
Redeeming AA miles on CX via HKG (from either JFK or EWR) would probably yield the best value for your points/miles. You could also do JL via NRT from JFK.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MH no longer serves LAX or anywhere else in North America.

They do have lots of service between KUL and other major airports in Asia, including overnight flights that give you more than enough time for connections from/to TPAC flights.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I would think Cathay Pacific (CX) using AA miles is definitely your best option, as you could fly JFK-HKG-KUL on one of the best first class (F) or business class (J) options around on one of the best airlines in the world. The F is something like 67.5K miles each way and the J is something like 55K from SFO; I'm almost sure it's the same from JFK, but you'd want to check on this. If there is availability in F, splurge with the extra miles to get it; as good as CX J is, F is well worth the relatively small extra charge.

The challenge will be securing a seat for December, which is doable but might require some consistent calling of AA by you or checking various websites such as BA or QF (or using a paid service such as awardnexus.com, which has limited free use for FT members and which for an extra charge will track and send you emails if award flights open up). The greatest availability is often 330 days in advance or very close to the departure date, but there are frequent exceptions to that rule.

Given your array of points/miles, there are lots of other options, but I'm almost certain the least costly points-wise will be AA across the Pacific on its One World Partners, such as CX, Japan Airlines (JL) or Malaysia Airlines (MH), though I don't think MH flies from JFK so you'd have to connect on AA to LAX (???) or some other US departure point. (Oops! Just saw the post below indicating MH doesn't fly from the US any more.) AA via DFW to HKG is yet another option, but again CX is far superior and unless its one of AA's new 777Ws you'd be stuck in a relatively poor seats if in J. (Of course, if award availability is constrained you could expand your options by booking one airline one way and another airline coming back.)

You also could fly American One World partner Qatar (QR) via Doha or other airlines via Europe or the Middle East, but I suspect it will cost you a lot more points to route that way. If you really wanted to splurge on another reportedly excellent F experience, AA (non-One World partner) Etihad will get you to HKG but your AA points will only be enough to fly one way (if even that).

Thank you so much, as well as to the other people who replied. You guys have been a huge help! Much appreciated guys, have a great weekend!

One more question, on trips to Doha in general, why does Avios have such a large surcharge going to Doha? Isn't it considered Asia and not Europe? I know normally the avios have the biggest surcharges going there.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Westin; Jul 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MH no longer serves LAX or anywhere else in North America.
Which, frankly, would seem to not be a bad thing right around now.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Westin
Thank you so much, as well as to the other people who replied. You guys have been a huge help! Much appreciated guys, have a great weekend!

One more question, on trips to Doha in general, why does Avios have such a large surcharge going to Doha? Isn't it considered Asia and not Europe? I know normally the avios have the biggest surcharges going there.

Thanks again!
I think you'll see that with Avios generally. BA imposes fuel surcharges on any flight that is on BA metal (so if you book using AA miles but on BA flights you'll see them as well) and they also pass on any fuel surcharges that are charged by their partners (which AA does not do except for BA flights as mentioned above.

Another airline to consider is Singapore Airlines. You can transfer both your UR and MR points to them. The value won't be as good as the AA approach flying on CX but it is a top J / F product.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I think you'll see that with Avios generally. BA imposes fuel surcharges on any flight that is on BA metal (so if you book using AA miles but on BA flights you'll see them as well) and they also pass on any fuel surcharges that are charged by their partners (which AA does not do except for BA flights as mentioned above.

Another airline to consider is Singapore Airlines. You can transfer both your UR and MR points to them. The value won't be as good as the AA approach flying on CX but it is a top J / F product.
If you decide to use SQ, watch out for their regional aircraft. They're not nearly as nice for J seats as the designated long haul aircraft, which sometimes also serve the same destinations. (IIRC this was true for the flights between HKG and SIN, with some but not all aircraft offering FC.) Otherwise, I think the horrible angled flat beds with 2-3-2 seating in business class are gone from the SQ fleet, but you might want to check with the experts on this.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerdude88

What would the route be for Singapore? Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:57 pm

SQ used to fly JFK-FRA-SIN on the 747. AFAIK SQ still does this route, even after getting rid of their 747s.

Alternatively, you could use a partner to get to LAX and then connect to SQ. Or you could fly a partner to NRT, ICN, HKG, etc. and then connect from there on SQ to SIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.